Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How don't you go broke & up to your eyeballs in debt?!

Technonut

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Pace yourself.

Rome, and vintage wardrobes were not built in a day.

Half the fun is in the hunt...and in the bargain-getting.

Its seriously -no fun- to have great clothes....and not be able to leave the house to go places because you have no cash.....

Words of wisdom for certain... Now, if I could only incorporate them somehow... I only need a few more suits, vintage casual, fedoras, shoes, etc... etc.. ;) :eusa_doh:

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
Why my Grandfather Wore Suits

My granddad was a veteran of world war two. He grew up at the tail end of the depression and before and after the war he did hard floor construction and installation. He lived modestly his whole life and only owned one house his whole life as well. It was a small little home and you wouldn’t have guessed that he and my grandma raised 5 kids in it if you were to see it.

This man however, that did hard floors (a strictly manual labor job), did own some suits and hats at one time that he wore on occasion when he was not working on hard wood floors. Now ask yourself the question, “Why would a man who did only manual labor for a living and had to raise 5 kids on a modest salary spend the money to own and wear suits?” Well it relates to what a suit really was to him, and now to me. You will see why I post this in your thread at the end.

A suit, to me, and my grandfather I think, is and was a set of outer clothing items more like a coat or a hat. Think about it…underneath that suit jacket would most likely be a vest with a lot of pockets and a long sleeve shirt under that and then a tee shirt under that. If you could only wear one complete outfit and have all the pockets you needed, and be dressed for any occasion, what would it be? Well the answer is that it would be a suit. With the entire suit on you are prepared for anything except the dead of winter and a summer rain. Add a trench coat with a liner and a good hat and you are ready for almost anything. You have all the pockets that you need for the following things: a pocket watch, your wallet, your separate checkbook, a handkerchief, your keys, lose change (which is what the inner suit jacket pocket was traditionally used for), a whiskey flask, a pen, and a pipe or other smoking gear. With your trench coat you have large pockets for your gloves or the epaulets of your jacket could hold them. As well, if you have a suit vest then you would have other pockets for smaller things like a spare set of cuff links or a tie tack.

A suit then could hold anything that you wanted with you outside of working your regular job. My grandfather had these things not to feel dressed up, but to have what he wanted on him at all times and to be prepared for any encounter. With a suit, all you have to do is take off your suit coat and then you are much cooler indoors and yet with the suit vest you still have your pocket watch, wallet, money clip, and pen. These things aren’t all stuffed into one pocket as we have to do today. You even had room for smoking equipment in separate pockets if you were so inclined. Dare I say that you would also have room for a whiskey flask if you happened the occasion.

You could take this suit with you to any affair and if you were overdressed for the occasion then all you had to do was take off your jacket, vest, and tie. The suit enabled you to be dressed formally for most general encounters or “business” that needed tending and yet gave you the capability to “dress down” if need be for comfort or surrounding whenever need arose. In short, if you left the house with a suit on, then you knew that you could go anywhere and everywhere without worry, and you’d have space for anything that you needed or wanted on the way.

Suits were expensive things then, just as they are today, and I don’t think my granddad ever bought one on a whim. He made sure that the styling of the suit was traditional and not faddish and he made sure that the suit that he bought fit well and had all the function that he needed for what he wanted to carry around with him. The older he got the less he wore suits I think, but I need to ask more about this.

Because the suit was all he needed generally outside of working cloths for his job, my grandfather did not have many clothing items. He had I think a few suits, some shoes, some work cloths, and that was about it. He lived simply and that’s how he could afford to buy suits even though he was not a wealthy man and had to raise 5 kids on a single family income. What he bought he made sure was quality that would last a lifetime or as long as possible. I do my best to follow his example in that regard. He grew up ina time period where "Waste not, want not” was a common phrase.

We took him out to eat one time at an all you can eat restaurant. He had one small plate and then a small thing of ice cream and that was it. Everyone at the table tried to get him to “try” more thing but he wouldn’t, He said that he wouldn’t get anything more because he knew that he couldn’t finish it all. My family stopped trying at this point and anyone who had an ounce of scraps left on their plate hocked it all down their gullet in order not to offend him. I proudly sat there with my all ready empty plate because I too only got a modest setting and was all ready full.

That’s the kind of guy he was and the kind of guy more of us need to emulate. The kind of guy that makes smart decisions and doesn’t let the temptations of excess draw us into various sins.

If you are having a hard time with debt in buying suits and hats then I would venture a guess that you probably have all that you need and perhaps need to go over your things and lighten up on some stuff that you don’t need. I was doing this myself just this afternoon. I have a few boxes of stuff now that I am just going to throw out I guess and I'm not even going to bother trying to sell them. I want to live more simply like my grandfather did. I want to make smart long term purchases, not stop making fleeting, faddish, impulse buys. I want to make my money and debt go as far as possible and that’s what I recommend that you learn to do as well.

Good luck my friend, it's not an easy thing to do. The fact that you had the courage even to ask about it says to me that your a man of good character and you will soon learn these valuable lessons if you haven't all ready.

This Instant!

We live in a world of Instant Gratification, I want it now and I should not have to wait a moment more. We see the results of this type of thinking in the debt of many today, where so much bought on time was considered to be can't live without items.

I know I have made some mistakes in this department, but have gradually learned to hold off for the most part on the big stuff. I have a morgage for the house and no longer making payments for my vehicle. I have turned to my debt incurred and need to work on bringing it down zero.

Few of my purchases, that went on a credit card, because I had to have it there and then, are of any true consequence. They (for the most part) DON'T make me happier for having them, and now I have the debt.

So reconsider purchases, look for bargains but don't shy away from buying quality in the purchases that it will really make a difference.

Saving up, even when it is just a jar of coins, makes a difference. I use the jar of coins to pay for the stay at Las Vegas.

Right now. I would like to get about 3 more hats, that would be about $550. Would like to get 3 more suits roughly $1200 - 1500. Also, I am looking at a big screen TV then upgrade to the DVD player and sound system which could easily be $3 to 5 grand. BUT I am not going to buy any of this stuff any time soon because i have Home Insurance and Property taxes to deal with. I have money squirreled away to get the outside of the house painted, can't touch this!

I spent about $1000 or so this year on the truck to keep it happy and road worthy: Shocks all around , 2 new tires and replaced the battery cables which are actually pretty complicated. Have to spend that to keep the truck going so I can get to work.

What is the lesson? Certain bills come first, home, vehicle, health that type of stuff the other things are just menuscia, they aren't what life depends on.

I am guilty of impulsive purchases but I am finding that more and more they are of little or no consequence in the reality of life.

It is hard, I have heard what I should do from my parents all my life growing up, but in the end find that some lessons I just seem to have to learn for myself. Money management still presents a challenge some times.

dostacos

Practically Family
as a certain Grail Knight said "choose wisely" :rolleyes:

since I need to loose weight, I use the money from what I should not have eaten anywaylol

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Part and parcel with all this I'd like to add that there are many opportunities to buy clothing at huge discount. Patience is required. I recently acquired a very nice charcoal gray double breasted suit (reg $695) for $99. Credit not required for something that cheap. This time of year the sales are amazing. The other night my lovely bride and I stopped in at a local vintage shop before going out to dinner. I found a perfect vintage tweed 3-piece that fit me to a T...$38.50. On ebay just this weekend I picked up a Canali 3 button jacket for $25. No one else bid. That's 2 great suits and a jacket in the last 2 weeks for $165. Be patient, poke around, save the credit card for dire emergencies.

Also be aware, interest rates are set at the whim of the card company. The teaser rates look good but nothing is forever. I hold a card that HAD a fixed rate of 4.9% for the last 5 years. I recently got a letter telling me that, due to recent changes in the economy the card is changing to an adjustable rate and going up to 13.9% as of Sept. 1. 30 days notice is all they are required to give. Needless to say, I zeroed out that account. Is that something you would be able to do if that nice low rate suddenly evaporates?

Good luck with your hunt.

Kevin

tomservo

New in Town
You all make me sick, with your "logic" and "good ideas". Seriously though, I'm in the same boat as mike (different level, though). I don't have any suits, at all, but honestly I don't need one. As a college student/front desk attendant, I would never wear it. But I would like one. Most of what I wear now is not "vintage", but at least it's no longer jeans and a tee. Hopefully after my trip "over yonder" next year, I'll pay off some debt and get some more proper clothes. Thanks for the sense.

tomservo said:
I don't have any suits, at all, but honestly I don't need one. As a college student/front desk attendant, I would never wear it. But I would like one.

Well, there may just come a time when you'll need one. Figure for an interview, funeral, or extra special date.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
tomservo said:
You all make me sick, with your "logic" and "good ideas". Seriously though, I'm in the same boat as mike (different level, though). I don't have any suits, at all, but honestly I don't need one.

In my line of work I don't need a suit either. Mine are primarily for outings with the spouse and friends to the local eateries and clubs. Also church...although most are going really casual these days. I don't much like that but if it brings more in, so be it.

In my opinion you never need an excuse to dress well.

Kevin

Edward

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Pace yourself.

Rome, and vintage wardrobes were not built in a day.

Half the fun is in the hunt...and in the bargain-getting.

Its seriously -no fun- to have great clothes....and not be able to leave the house to go places because you have no cash.....

Excellent points, all. Especially the last. ;)

Feraud said:
All sound advice has been given but let me add my .02 cents..
Instead of having to wear a custom or vintage suit 5 days a week try some sports jackts.
They can be found somewhat easier and cheaper than suits.

Good plan. You might find some suits reduced in vintage places as the torusers are worn out, but the jacket is plenty serviceable as a blazer / sports jacket (tweeds and plain colours moreso than pinstripes IMO).

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Sounds very...

Sin KhanThis man however, that did hard floors (a strictly manual labor job), did own some suits and hats at one time that he wore on occasion when he was not working on hard wood floors. Now ask yourself the question, “Why would a man who did only manual labor for a living and had to raise 5 kids on a modest salary spend the money to own and wear suits?” Well it relates to what a suit really was to him, and now to me. You will see why I post this in your thread at the end. [=QUOTE]

...much like my grandfather. He wired US Navy ships in Norfolk. Too young for WWI and too old for WWII he caught the great depression right in the teeth.

He had a small selection of suits for church, masonic lodge meetings, and other occasions. That was pretty typical for his generation. Time was when every man had at least one suit for occasions that required it.

It's ironic that there are so many poorly dressed men these days. Dress clothes have never been cheaper. Between vintage and discount places, you can dress up for almost nothing. I'd wager it costs more to buy trendy "urban" clothes than good dress clothes. I don't buy the excuses.

I think every man needs a good suit. Take your time building a wardrobe. The pursuit can be half the fun.

Snookie

Practically Family
Sometimes my husband buys things from thrift/vintage stores for cheap and has them tailored for a more custom look. Nip in the waist and raise the hem, now you've got a jacket from a totally different decade! A much cheaper way to add some variety to your wardrobe.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joie DeVive said:
My personal policy is that if I don't have the cash to pay for it, I just don't buy it.

I second that. I have no credit cards. When I got married my wife and I prioritized getting rid of our credit cards. Neither were over 5 grand, but we paid them off RIGHT away and it's a glorious feeling. They are traps. Traps set by usurers.

Joie DeVive said:
Are you getting a daily mocha-frapa-lapa-ding-dong?

Excellent point (as well as hilariously and wonderfully worded). A lot of those drinks are really cuir. I buy a half pound of fresh coffee every other week and with that I make coffee that is better than any shop except for Peet's and I avoid gross expensive fatty Starbucks drinks. It's much cheaper. Also, I don't get addicted to coffee because I only have it at home or maybe ONE when I am at school if it's a long day -- and then, only a small regular coffee.

Mid-fogey said:
It's ironic that there are so many poorly dressed men these days. Dress clothes have never been cheaper. Between vintage and discount places, you can dress up for almost nothing. I'd wager it costs more to buy trendy "urban" clothes than good dress clothes.

Fact. I've done the math. I observed this years ago. I have a basic palette of Goodwill suits, 19 dollars each. I have a few Ebay suits, generally more, perhaps as much as 50 dollars each. Two actual 1940s vintage suits, which cost 150 - 200 each, heavy as heck. Now I have over 30 suits, one for each day of the month, WAY more than I need and always fresh because in between wearings I hang them properly and let them air out. I dry clean each one maybe twice a year. It is an extremely INexpensive way to dress. I never wear a suit more often than once in a fortnight and they are pretty clean and fresh when I wear them and I wear a suit every day or almost every day. It works out excellently.

Feraud

Bartender
Make the rounds looking for bargains.

You may wear out the shoe leather but making the rounds of your local shops will yield vintage/inexpensive finds.

Last week I stopped in a shop out of frustration of not finding the store I was looking for. I walked out of the place with a three piece suit, a two piece, and a Ralph Lauren sport jacket for less than 50 bucks.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Mid-fogey said:
It's ironic that there are so many poorly dressed men these days. Dress clothes have never been cheaper. Between vintage and discount places, you can dress up for almost nothing. I'd wager it costs more to buy trendy "urban" clothes than good dress clothes. I don't buy the excuses.

I think every man needs a good suit. Take your time building a wardrobe. The pursuit can be half the fun.

Great point. I work as an IT/telecom guy in a health care setting. It's not unusual to see me under a desk installing a work station or on a ladder pulling cable. I wear business casual (tie not optional)...although the jacket comes off and the tie goes military (tucked in the shirt) when I'm climbing around. I'm typically better dressed than my boss and people notice. People occasionally ask why I bother. The fact is it makes my job easier because my customers take me seriously. Overall I suspect I spend less on clothes than my co-workers as I have a lot more rotation in my wardrobe. Most of these guys wear the same shirt or pants a couple times (or more, yikes) a week and the same shoes every day... and sadly never a jacket and tie. Their idea of rotation is wear it out and buy a new one. While I have a decent wardrobe I shop the sales and discounts and normally spend a lot less on a pair of dress pants than I do on a pair of jeans. Actually, most of my odd jackets cost less than a pair of decent jeans. It's not that hard to dress well on a budget.

Kevin

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kevin Popejoy said:
Most of these guys wear the same shirt or pants a couple times (or more, yikes) a week and the same shoes every day... and sadly never a jacket and tie. Their idea of rotation is wear it out and buy a new one.

Degoutant.

Kevin Popejoy said:
While I have a decent wardrobe I shop the sales and discounts and normally spend a lot less on a pair of dress pants than I do on a pair of jeans. Actually, most of my odd jackets cost less than a pair of decent jeans. It's not that hard to dress well on a budget.

Hear hear.

acoustics

New in Town
Absolutely True

Mid-fogey said:
QUOTE]
I am now doing my doctoral studies and I am happy to say that I am the best dressed man in my whole department. The whole department turns up in jeans and T-shirt, and I am the one with the fedora, the tweed coat, etc and having spent time in the military, as expected, polished shoes. I always receive compliments about the way I dress, and guess what, I got most of the stuff from the local thrift stores.

It pleases me no end to see y'all impart such common-sense advice. I find myself nodding my head and muttering "yup, yup, yup."
Armed with the education you can gain here, you should be able to dress yourself well without going into debt. Sure, you'll have to deny yourself a few things, but it remains undoubtedly true that high quality vintage (and just plain secondhand) attire can be had for a small fraction of what lesser new stuff costs. And, as several here have already noted, the hunt is half the fun.
All I can add is this: Don't ever let a seller (or yourself) believe that your happiness hinges on acquiring a particular item. You'll get nothing but good deals only when you vow that you'll get nothing but good deals. This is not to say that you shouldn't pay a reasonable asking price, but just that the simple fact that you came through the door with clothes on your back shows that you don't really NEED anything in the shop.
Ever notice how that "new" whatever (typically a vintage hat, in my case) gets worn quite a bit when it first comes into your possession, but then you get used to having it and some old favorites come back into regular use? And then comes the next acquisition. And so the collection grows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou