Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long to cigars keep for?

AdeeC

Practically Family
Just curious how long cigars keep for and still be acceptable to smoke? I found an unopened box of Don Diego Robustas that I stored away about 25 years ago and long forgotten. They were a gift. They were kept in a cool dark place and constant temperature.. They still look good and smell nice and fresh. I am not a cigar smoker hence I will not be able to appreciate any difference between good and bad.

Cheers.

javadave61

Practically Family
Just curious how long cigars keep for and still be acceptable to smoke? I found an unopened box of Don Diego Robustas that I stored away about 25 years ago and long forgotten. They were a gift. They were kept in a cool dark place and constant temperature.. They still look good and smell nice and fresh. I am not a cigar smoker hence I will not be able to appreciate any difference between good and bad.

Cheers.

I'm curious. Did you try one? If the dark and constant environmental mimicked a humidor type environment, I would imagine you'd find it a good smoke.

JohnFurr

New in Town
Unless you live in tropical environment w/o air conditioning, I highly doubt they are smokable, at least w/o extensive rehabilitation.

Open them and feel a cigar. Chances are they are dry, and very hard without any give. That would mean they dried out and became tight. They wont draw and if they wud they'd be acrid and nasty.

You can carefully and slowly rehydrate over months in a humidor that you slowly bring to 70% rH. If you increase the humidity too quickly the wrappers will split open rendering them unsmokable.

I use ziplock bags and dampened paper towel to rehydrate cigars that get a little dry in my travel case. lightly damper a fresh paper towel wring it out and place into ziplock bag w/ cigars. BUT not in direct contact with the cigars. patience is key

AdeeC

Practically Family
Thank you John for your advice. These cigars are well preserved but here in Melbourne, Australia the air is very dry even after it rains. The cigars still feel nice and do have some give when squeezed and not too hard. It is interesting that these cigars can be refreshed. I will try your tips but very slowly and carefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21