Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many Fedoras did you see today?

Davidannon

New in Town
Okay, this isn’t quite about a fedora, but rather about a western hat, hope that’s okay

Today, I went to a bar with live music. They played country/blues/zydeco music, during the first set the lead singer wore his straw western hat the front side front, during the second set however he wore his hat backwards, which really bothered me throughout the rest of the performance.

Sadly I wasn’t able to get him to notice it as I had to leave before the performance was over. The music was fine, but the backwards hat kind of ruined it for me.

I was in Galena, Illinois on Saturday....BIG Irish festival with a parade and pub events. Needless to say LOTS of people about. Well, I saw at lease a half dozen NICE fedoras plus the usual smattering of crappy cloth trilbies but with also the flocked plastic GREEN fedoras and fabric hats for the festivities..... The costume hats really do not bother me (they are just for the party of the day) but the cloth trilbies do....they just look sooooo cheap (and tapered, and small). What can I say?:rolleyes:;)
M

Old thread reactivation. Ran into this guy Sat afternoon & again Sat night. Hat was an old Stetson from Sheplers. Forgot to post.

IMG_4318.JPG

RossRYoung

Practically Family
SoCal can see several hats on any given day. But given the growing ‘trend’, I see them now daily. Although maybe I’m just looking for them more. Nobody has striked me As an enthusiast, but hat wearers none the less, which I like and is encouraging.

I saw MINE in a mirror today. Yesterday (at a larger outdoor event) I saw a fairly nice Trilby an older man was wearing and two very nice westerns....I DID get several compliments on my 50's Stetson 3X fedora.

EDIT: I forgot to add the really nice but RED actual fedora a fellow had. AND like ILB I saw several modern Girldoras (Womens Fedoras) about......nice WIDE brim, low crown.......(frames their faces nicely).........MANY women wearing them now.
:)

Last edited:

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
At a street festival Saturday I saw at least 6 non-western hats on guys. A notably beat up brown pork pie; a really sharp grey fedora; what looked to be a homburg (not experienced enough to be sure) and a couple other fedoras. That doesn't count the members of the bands who seemed to favor stingy brims.
More women than men had fedoras. Many of those were flat brimmed.
There were probably another six western hats (counting my Gannon Big Four) and a few outback style hats for good measure.
It would have been nice to have gotten a few pictures but I was more interested in being at the festival as opposed to recording it.
Definitely a good hat day.

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
Western hats are a way of life here in Texas.

I'm noticing an interesting mix of straw and felt as our season changes.

I've started out the mornings with some felts that it seems like I only get to wear about 15 minutes a year. By mid afternoon I'm reaching for something cooler though.

Same thing noted this morning making groceries. Some working ranchers rocking straws with a couple of nice felt Open Roads in the mix.

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
One strange thing I am noticing more and more are men wearing straw hats (mostly western) YEAR ROUND!!!!
And here in the midwest where we DO have a winter.........What is up with that????
My dad used to say "listen to me and I'll have you wearing your straw hat to the Christmas party".

He had a great sense of humor, but never at someone else's expense though. He never let me out of the house without a t-shirt and my shirt tail tucked in.

Often times he would tell me about how my grandpa wore a shirt and tie...always, like even when he went fishing.

I remember both my mom and grandma standing at the kitchen sink starching shirts and the smell of a hot iron on damp shirts.

Is it that folks just don't know better?
Or is it that times change?

Note: I've edited this post a couple of times to remove quotes attached in error. My apologies.

Who?

Practically Family
Just as an incedental, and perhaps irrelevant, aside, my dad told me that when men wore paper collars (when he was a kid) his father wore a new one every day.

Evidently not all men did.

I have no clue how much they cost.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points