Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many of you were taught this in high school? Or, at home?

Rosie

One Too Many
This morning, I went to an open house at a school that will be opening near my house next year. All positions need to be filled so it was basically an open interview for any and all interested persons. I went for either a lead teacher or assistant principal position and basically just to see the mission of the school, what programs they are going to use, etc.

Since this was an open interview (though, everyone had to call ahead and make an appointment to be interviewed) there were people there for all types of positions, teachers, teacher's aides, school aides, cafeteria workers, etc. There had to be no less than about 90 people there which is quite understandable. What is unot understandable is that out of the 90 or so people there, I counted 6, yes six, that were dressed as though they were going to an interview. Now, in the past, I have seen denim skirts and tank tops on women at interviews and, I have seen "dockers" type pants and button down shirts with or without a tie on men. But NOTHING prepared me for what I saw today. (This isn't a "kids these days type thing, most of the people there were at LEAST my age and a good amount of them were OLDER than me). Anyway, some people were dressed nicely but, not appropriately. They looked as though they were going to dinner with their friends but, not to an interview. I'd say that accounted for about 30-35 people. The rest looked like either they were going to the club or going to walk their dog and, I'm not exaggerating. Many women had on those shirts where their cleavage, navels and backs were hanging out, AT AN INTERVIEW! Most of the men wore baggy pants, whehter they wers dress-ish or not (I say dress-ish because they were certainly not dressy). Some had on sneakers, boots and one older guy, had on a pair of khaki pants, a blue short sleeve shirt and tie and black sneakers, this guy was old enough to be my dad, why didn't he know better? Almost all the women had on flip flops, some had on open toed, feet exposing sandals, one girl had on over the knee boots with a tiny little short skirt. One woman talked on her cell phone the ENTIRE time, until whe was called in and another woman pulled out a beef patty and started eating it, right there in front of everyone! People played with their cell phones, one guy played with his, even after the interviewer came and got him, he was playing with it as he was following her to her office. I mean, it was crazy.

So, this led me to think. When I was in high school and in college, I was told what was appropriate to wear to an interview. In high school, the nuns even did mock interviews with us to teach us what we should do, how we should sit, what we should wear, etc. In college, we went through the same thing, we were taught how to present our portfolio, how to conduct ourselves during an interview. On top of all of that, I had parents! And they told me, that's too low cut, don't wear that, etc. So, where were these people during those days in school? Did they all not show up that week? How many of you guys were actually taught what to do during an interview either at home or in school? Or, did you go to the school of hard knocks and figure it out on your own?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I believe it was in Home Ec where they discussed this with us. My mom was also instrumental on giving feedback. Much of it is just plain common sense.

I can understand someone playing a game or text messaging on their phone while waiting in the waiting room. It beats having to stare in silence at unfamiliar faces. But still playing it while on his way into the interview, that guy has a problem.

ortega76

Practically Family
My folks were Baby Boomers but I think it's different for them. My grandparents never went to WWII due to racial/social issues (being a Mexican-American wasn't always all sunshine-and-Coronas) and my parents grew up in the working class South Side of Chicago. They instilled in us a respect for looking appropriate for work. That's what they learned growing up. They knew what it was to need a job and that you had to do everything to give yourself an edge. Maybe some of those Baby Boomers at the open interview just didn't know better or, more likely, didn't care.

Oddly, both of my parents have lost that reference of dressing up for work because they both work in medicine. My mom is a nurse and my dad is an ultrasound technician. They both wear scrubs everyday. My dad used to be required to wear a shirt and tie everyday but he works for a different hospital now that requires scrubs to be worn. Apparently, this hospital (a MAJOR hospital in Chicago) did extensive research and showed that their patients liked/felt more confident when the staff was in scrubs). My mom responds by being fairly dressed up on her days off and my dad has become uber-casual. I think he has exactly one suit in his closet now.

I do a lot of the interviewing and hiring for the my employer, an athletic shoe retail store. Every week I see these travesties of interview clothes. Yes, we do wear a uniform of golf shirt/t-shirt and khaki pants. I'd prefer if my interviewees wore a shirt and tie but my minimum requirement is a golf shirt and chinos. I figure it's what we wear everyday so it's a no-brainer. I always send these clueless dolts home without an interview for showing up in XXXL Tall Tees and jeans down to their knees or track suits or tank tops. You're right, not just kids but a lot of "adults" too.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
my experiences

My parents taught me that you should be presentable at a job interview.
I've had people asking for a job that I thought couldn't be serious.
One person came in asking "You got a job application?". I explained we didn't use applications but instead he should write a resume. I needed to explain what goes on a resume. He asked what kind of paper it should be. "Any kind." was my reply. He borrowed paper from my co-worker and wrote a quick "resume" while leaning on the counter. When he was done he said "Here." and handed it to me.
I've had allsorts but he stands out the most.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We had a "Career Planning" course during my sophomore year in High School where we went over the whole process, and yes, it was laid out pretty clearly that there was a proper way to present yourself at an interview. But even if we hadn't had that, I got it drilled into me pretty thoroughly at home that there was a proper way to dress and present one's self on important occasions -- all the way back to Kindergarten, my mother would go over me like a drill sergeant on the first day of school each year, making sure I gave my new teacher a good impression.

I kinda doubt parents do that anymore. Much the pity.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nothing was mentioned to me in a formal class in high school, however, I can't imagine how these people failed to pick up on proper interview attire. Weird.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I was taught it at home. I was also rewarded for my efforts at interviews, where for some reason the girl in the business suit (whether skirted or dressy pants) does MUCH better than the girl wearing a tee shirt from Old Navy, experience level being equal.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Rosie said:
How many of you guys were actually taught what to do during an interview either at home or in school? Or, did you go to the school of hard knocks and figure it out on your own?

I'm pretty sure at some point they taught this in public school where I grew up. Don't see how anyone could not know it. Probably the general attitude is, "oh that's old fashioned and unnecessary now." That much less competition in the job market for us :rolleyes:

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
The Wolf said:
My parents taught me that you should be presentable at a job interview.
I've had people asking for a job that I thought couldn't be serious.
One person came in asking "You got a job application?". I explained we didn't use applications but instead he should write a resume. I needed to explain what goes on a resume. He asked what kind of paper it should be. "Any kind." was my reply. He borrowed paper from my co-worker and wrote a quick "resume" while leaning on the counter. When he was done he said "Here." and handed it to me.
I've had allsorts but he stands out the most.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Many times those are people on unemployment and are required to fill out a certain number of job apps a week, with no intention of actually getting the job.

ortega76

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Many times those are people on unemployment and are required to fill out a certain number of job apps a week, with no intention of actually getting the job.

I can attest to that. We get these cats on unemployment who ask for an application. We do our stuff electronically and it there's a short test attached (I call it the "Monkey Test" as a monkey could pass it but many people don't pass it).

When they here about it how long it takes, some leave, some apply and some try to get me to fill out their paper that says they applied for a job.

S

Samsa

I must say that I've never been taught this specifically; like Marc said above, I've simply learned by "osmosis" what one should and should not wear. I'm only twenty three, and have never had to interview for a "serious" job. The couple of times I had an interview, I was told (by my parents) "don't wear a tie - people will think you're nuts!" That, unfortunately, is all too true. Now, however, I wear ties without the slightest provocation, and could not care less who thinks I'm nuts.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
We had this covered in school. They even called in a local business leader to talk to us about it.

Quick story: Last time I hired someone for my office, an applicant came for the interview in her best cleavage, and kept dropping her pencil. She was very young and quite attractive. Alas, she was never in the running, mainly because she seemed to be dumb as sackfull of hammers.
The minute she was out of earshot all the other ladies who work in my office came to my door and shouted in unison: "ForGET it!" lol

Mike in Seattle

Yep, in high school we did have a class where they went over mock interviews and dressing appropriately (this was 1976-77 as a senior in high school for me). The guys were basically told suit & tie; if no suit, sport coat; if no sport coat, clean well maintained dress shirt & tie. I really marked down at the office for those who showed up looking a mess. And I marked higher for those who were really trying to dress correctly (IMHO) because I felt they at least were trying.

But everything's changed in the 15 years I've been self-employed. Flip flops, cell phones, casual Fridays taken to the extreme. I just rolled my eyes at a friend's office when I stopped in to go to lunch with her, and the reception is popping gum, talking on the cell phone while the office phone rings, nose in the computer screen and tells me, "Just a sec, honey, I've gotta finish the IM with my mom..." I won't even comment on the bimbo's attire. I stood there for over five minutes at the counter while she was taking care of all her personal communications. I even found out a friend saw her boyfriend having lunch with her friend right then, and the friend was now a bitch. Wonderful front-office conversation in front of clients, eh?

My friend said when she was interviewing for an assistant, had two or three applicants who were shocked they didn't get the job after taking more than one call on their cell phones during the interview. But I mentioned the receptionist to my friend and she said she had no idea she was that awful. She said Kathy (receptionist) was surprised my friend knew that Tiffany (ex-friend) was now a bitch for having lunch with Brad (boyfriend) - like other posts on the Lounge, there are some who don't realize everyone's hearing their conversations on cell phones in public. But I think it's a matter of now having to explicitly tell, teach, whatever you want to call it, employees what is and isn't acceptable. As the original poster stated, it's appalling how the vast majority of people show up inappropriately attired, be that for job interviews, theater & concerts, dinner out at an up-scale restaurant. I can give them a little leeway if it's ignorance (they've never been taught any better) but most, they know better..."We just want to be comfortable in our ratty shorts and tank tops. We don't care if you're getting nauseous from our cellulite while eating a $50 candlelight dinner."

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Hm, my class in high school said to dress appropriately for the job being interviewed for.

So, if you are a professional, suit and tie for guys. Dress or suit for gals.

If you are applying for a lower level job, suit is optional, but dress neatly. If you are applying for a job as a mechanic or janitor or other laborer, no suit, NO TIE, so maybe long sleeved shirt and slacks (not jeans).

Let's face it try to get a job as a construction worker in a vintage sharkskin suit and a fedora, I dare ya! You'd be lucky to get off the contruction site without getting beat up.

Twitch

Hey Rosie sounds as though they weren't real serious about getting a job or anything else. Be curious to know who got hired relative to their attire.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran