Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many planets

LaMedicine

One Too Many
In the solar system?
There's an international meeting of astronomers going on right now in Prague, and in a few hours, the definition of planets may change.
Depending on what is voted in, we are going to have anywhere from 8 planets to 12.
So, is Pluto going to sink into obscurity, or are we going to have to learn the names and orbits for 3 extra planets for our science test?lol
What are our kids going to be taught in the future? And as moms and dads, we'd better be on our toes lest our kids make us look like fools.:p

Oooh, the politics that are going on in space.:rolleyes:

Naama

Practically Family
Funny, I didn't heard anything about that so far.... And usually, I'm not the one who's lacking info [huh]

Naama

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would have called it a planetoid. Actually though, they consider planetoids the bodies orbiting the sun between Jupiter and Mars- asteroids. Pluto is a spherical body not mis-shapened like asteroids. They're calling is a sub-planet or dwarf planet now.:rolleyes: Xena is larger so I assume they're still accepting it as an actual planet[huh]
Flashs_Ship_movie.gif

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
What? Awww Pluto always gets the bad end of the deal... first he is concidered an evil devil, when in truth he is just a misunderstood grumpy old man who just happens to rule the underworld (that is both Tartarus and the Elysian Fields), then he only get's to see his wife 6 months out of the year, and now they take away his planet?! Sheesh... poor guy... :eusa_doh:

LaMedicine

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
What? Awww Pluto always gets the bad end of the deal... first he is concidered an evil devil, when in truth he is just a misunderstood grumpy old man who just happens to rule the underworld (that is both Tartarus and the Elysian Fields), then he only get's to see his wife 6 months out of the year, and now they take away his planet?! Sheesh... poor guy... :eusa_doh:
Lolita, I love you for your mushy heart.
Actually, I kind of sympathize with the astronomer (forgot his name) who discovered Pluto. Though his discovery of Pluto will still be on record, he isn't a planet discoverer any more.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
LaMedicine said:
Actually, I kind of sympathize with the astronomer (forgot his name) who discovered Pluto. Though his discovery of Pluto will still be on record, he isn't a planet discoverer any more.

Sometimes my heart is my downfall! LOL:p
Very true... I didn't even think about the astronomer! I wonder if they will change the name of Pluto. Since all the planets are named after Roman Gods and Titans and Pluto is no longer a planet... [huh]

Naama

Practically Family
LaMedicine said:

lol Poor guy!
But, really, I think it's kind of a strange feeling, knowing that pluto is now no longer part of the game :(

Naama

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Don't worry folks: first I'll take care of the evil undead monkey-thing from Boston, then I'll be straight onto the giant alien robot. Please try to remain calm in the meantime...

jake431

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:

I dunno, 6 months without his wife? try to find a guy who's been married a while who doesn't smile involuntarily at that thought.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:

You think that's bad? Being Mickey Mouse's much abused pet is no picnic!

Jupiter

New in Town
Tombaugh, his name was Tombaugh...

Clyde Tombaugh was still just a fresh-faced kid when he was hired off of a Kansas farm by the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona to work on their "Planet X" program, which was the Observatory's search for a planet beyond Neptune. Early reports from Lowell Observatory didn't even mention his name as the one who put in thousands of hours under the stars photographing star fields and "blinking" the glass plates to find the darn thing. He wrote a WONDERFUL book about these adventures: _Out of the Darkness... the Planet Pluto_. It's full of great stories of his life in the 20s and 30s and would appeal to many of you on this Forum. My autographed copy holds an honored place on my bookshelf.

I spoke with Clyde shortly before he died about the "planet/not a planet" controversy surrounding Pluto. He found the whole thing amusing and couldn't have cared less about the outcome. He was a very nice man, very easy-going, and a great friend to many in the astronomical community.

I'm sure he's smiling today, in spite of the decision to demote Pluto.

Jupiter

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Marvin says...

marvin_martian2_thiscartoon.jpg

I must destroy Earth, it's obstructing my view of Venus !
Now, where did I put my Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner