Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much warmer is Aero's alpaca lining compared to the satin lining?

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I've had several Aeros in the past and have to say for myself that the tartan lining has worked best for me.

Less bulky and less grippy and less warm. The latter allowing me to wear my jacket for longer in the year than otherwise.

I also never have storn cuffs. They bulk up the cuffs and tend to make the lining migrate down to the cuffs so that, as the jacket gets older, you end up pushing the storm cuffs through the end of the sleeve and having to stuff them back up into the jacket.

Cheers,
Dave

Edward

Bartender
miles_archer said:
Good stuff! I too am thinking about a lighter jacket so supplement my B-3. Does the tartan lining cost extra? Are they all the same price?

I've just been through the process of ordering up a Bootlegger, to be paid for and delivered into Spring 2010. From my discussion with Amanda, the degree of customisation they will undertake without any extra charge is far beyond what I would have epected. The tartan lining is certainly inluded - I have myself opted for the Blair Modern, which is (down my mother's side) the family tartan that would (at least in the fairytale version, 'tartans' as we know them being a much more recent invention) have been worn by my ancestors who fought for William Wallace (a John Blair served as his chaplain), and on the Jacobite side at Culloden, among others. I asked Amanda's advice regarding a suitable lining for a jacket that could be worn in the Autumn / Spring - not a full Summer jacket (though wearable on cooler evenings), nor a 'depths of Winter' affair (I have a B3 for when I want a shorter jacket that will still cope with the cold). The tartan lining is what Amanda suggested as most appropriate for my purposes.

Norwayman

New in Town
GriffDeLaGriff said:
I know aero has black and wine colored thick and durable sateen.

I asked Amanda about the arms on my cheyenne, if they could do sateen over alpaca in the sleeves to ease getting in and out. I didnt think about the arms might get bulky, but I asked if it made sense. Amanda didnt say anything about it being bad, she just said ok and asked what color I want.

Isnt there always insulation of some sort in the arms?
Sounds like a bad winter jacket with just cotton in the arms.

Yes, it is a bad winter jacket here in Norway with temperatures down to
-10 -25 degrades Celcius... (With or without cotton in the arms...)
But I just love the FQHH in spring and autumn. (And in "cold" summerdays..)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah. But this winter havent been so bad....yet.
I guess jan-feb is gonna be worse. But still, its alot of months where one could wear goat/hh/steer and alpaca.

I have been sweating in my "fall/spring" jacket with a sweater up until now.
I was considering sheep lining for a long time, but I have an old B3 copy that I can use if it gets under -10c until I can afford the real deal.

It didnt sound good about the lining pushing out the stormcuffs.
Is this really normal, and the reason people dont choose stormcuffs?
They would really help make the jacket alot warmer.

Peacoat

Bartender
Never had a problem with storm cuffs on my Highwayman. Keeps me warmer than without, especially on a motorcycle.

Was going to get another Aero with the storm cuffs, but have almost decided that my next Aero motorcycle jacket will be a Vanson.

Peacoat said:
Never had a problem with storm cuffs on my Highwayman. Keeps me warmer than without, especially on a motorcycle.

Was going to get another Aero with the storm cuffs, but have almost decided that my next Aero motorcycle jacket will be a Vanson.

Vansons are nice as well. I especially like the HH Enfield. I understand that it is advisable to order one size up. If I didn't have so many MC jackets..it would be in my closet. A riding buddy of mine has one. Not as heavy as Aero's FQHH...but that's fine with me for comfortable riding. Still very nice HH.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
The Enfield is exactly the model I was looking at. I didn't see that it was available in HH, though. All I saw was heavy cowhide. What did I miss?

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Glad to see Vanson is back making horsehide jackets. I heard they stopped making HH jackets for some reason. I have three Vansons (all cowhide) but I don't ride motorcycles any more so I have limited reasons to get another one. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany