Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much warmer is Aero's alpaca lining compared to the satin lining?

JLStorm

Practically Family
I will most probably be ordering a FQHH custom highwamany soon. I would like to wear this coat in weather from 30F - 50F. I have very sensitive skin and Im worried the alpaca wool will make me itch if Im wearing the jacket in the warmer temperatures with just a tshirt on. Im also wondering if alpaca would feel too warm? I have a B3 for when it drops under 30.

Ive never worn FQHH, so Im not sure how warm the leather itself is and how well it blocks wind. Does the alpaca just add a tiny bit of insulation or does it add a lot of warmth to the jacket?

Thanks!

JanSolo

Practically Family
The leather itself isn't very warm but it's windproof and to a certain extent waterproof (FQHH only). Expect Alpaca to be a warm, comfortable and soft lining. Alpaca wool is among the softest natural fibres available. As to being itchy, Aero uses this fabric for the body only, the default lining for the sleeves is always cotton drill. Otherwise the jacket would be too bulky. With an alpaca lining a Highwayman should work well as a cold weather jacket but for obvious reasons the "insulation coefficient" can't be compared to a modern down jacket.:) Hope this helps

JLStorm

Practically Family
Thanks for yet another reply to my request for help! Do you see any benefit to using the alpaca over the cotton drill material for the lining of the body?

JLStorm

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
Well, alpaca makes the jacket much warmer, doesn't it? Or do you mean alpaca PLUS cotton drill for the body?

No I was asking if the alpaca was much warmer than cotton, but from your response, I guess that it is. Do you think alpaca would be too warm to wear if the temperature was 10 degrees celsius?

JLStorm

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
Alpaca makes the jacket much warmer and more useable in colder climates. You could wear a Highwayman with alpaca up to 15-16 degrees celsius if you don't combine it with a thick sweater...

well alpaca sounds like the right choice then.

Peacoat

Bartender
JLStorm said:
I will most probably be ordering a FQHH custom highwamany soon. I would like to wear this coat in weather from 30F - 50F. I have very sensitive skin and Im worried the alpaca wool will make me itch if Im wearing the jacket in the warmer temperatures with just a tshirt on. Im also wondering if alpaca would feel too warm? I have a B3 for when it drops under 30.

Ive never worn FQHH, so Im not sure how warm the leather itself is and how well it blocks wind. Does the alpaca just add a tiny bit of insulation or does it add a lot of warmth to the jacket?

Thanks!

The Alpaca should be fine for temps 30 to 50 F. And it would work well below 30 if layered with a sweater or a vest. As you have noted, it isn't a cold weather jacket. And, as Jan said, the HH won't give much, if any, insulation from the cold.

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
Thanks for yet another reply to my request for help! Do you see any benefit to using the alpaca over the cotton drill material for the lining of the body?

Personally, I would suggest one of the tartans over the alpaca, because it is about as warm, last longer, comes in far more styles, and frankly, neither will allow a FQHH jacket to become a Winter coat without a sweater underneath.

The tartans are actually made of combined cotton and wool threads, but not itchy at all, and quite comfortable. My Stockman has a Grant Tartan which looks great, doesn't pill, and allows me to wear the jacket with a sweater down into the teens, and into the 50s on its own.

The cotton drill is fine for the sleeves, but a nicely colored tartan would really spark up the jacket:

http://www.lochcarron.com/reiver.htm

That is the list of available Aero tartans, and I chose a Black Stewart to go with my brown FQHH, as can be seen here:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/319402124.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
bobjones said:
Personally, I would suggest one of the tartans over the alpaca, because it is about as warm, last longer, comes in far more styles, and frankly, neither will allow a FQHH jacket to become a Winter coat without a sweater underneath.

The tartans are actually made of combined cotton and wool threads, but not itchy at all, and quite comfortable. My Stockman has a Grant Tartan which looks great, doesn't pill, and allows me to wear the jacket with a sweater down into the teens, and into the 50s on its own.

The cotton drill is fine for the sleeves, but a nicely colored tartan would really spark up the jacket:

http://www.lochcarron.com/reiver.htm

That is the list of available Aero tartans, and I chose a Black Stewart to go with my brown FQHH, as can be seen here:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/319402124.jpg

Im confused on two counts. One, when I emailed aero asking about alpaca and tartans they emailed me about 5 or 6 different tartans back that were available. The list you sent me is huge though. Two, what makes the tartans harder wearing than alpaca?

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
Im confused on two counts. One, when I emailed aero asking about alpaca and tartans they emailed me about 5 or 6 different tartans back that were available. The list you sent me is huge though. Two, what makes the tartans harder wearing than alpaca?

Will probably just sent some of the more popular ones, but you can pretty much choose any from that website. From what I've heard, the Galashiels factory has a basement stuffed with linings...

The tartan is tougher as the wool it is made with is a very strong wool, and the thread is tightly wound. Alpaca is known for its lightness and warmth, but not durability.

Tabasco Joe

New in Town
Wow, that list of Tartans is amazing. I had to quit looking at it. It makes me want to order another Aero more and more. I cannot wait to finally have enough money saved to get a half-belt. I really need to quit wasting my money and put forth a better effort towards my Aero fund.

Windward

Practically Family
Alpaca in the sleeve

Hi, has anybody alpaca lining in the sleeves - I want to go for my next AERO with alpaca lining also in the sleeves because I am on the freezing side when it gets colder.
Any Opinions or experience???
Thanks
Windward

miles_archer

Familiar Face
bobjones said:

Good stuff! I too am thinking about a lighter jacket so supplement my B-3. Does the tartan lining cost extra? Are they all the same price?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Windward ,

I am a "Frostköddel" myself therefore I do understand your quest for a really warm Aero jacket. So far I haven't heard of a fully alpaca lined jacket but I have seen pics of a fully tartan lined one. Best ask Aero directly. Have you also considered a fully sheepskin lined jacket like the Longshoreman?

Windward

Practically Family
Frostköddel

JanSolo said:
Windward ,

I am a "Frostköddel" myself therefore I do understand your quest for a really warm Aero jacket. So far I haven't heard of a fully alpaca lined jacket but I have seen pics of a fully tartan lined one. Best ask Aero directly. Have you also considered a fully sheepskin lined jacket like the Longshoreman?

Jan,
thanks for your prompt response and welcome to the "Frostköddel-Club".
For TFL-Members: Frostköddel is a german meaning for a man/woman who start to freeze if the temperatur just go down a little.)
I have had a try with sheepskin lining but due to the thickness of the sheepskin Aero have to oversize it. So it does look a bit bulky (Ikea Schrankwand lol ) If I ordered a full alpaca lining jacket AERO make it without any doubt or comments. Seems to be NO problems at all.
Ciao und Tschüß
Windward

tjoek

New in Town
Agree with all of the above. In general alpaca is warmer.

Tartan lining is an interesting suggestion :) classic.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I ended up going with the alpaca inside their super heavy weight steerhide when I placed my order. Interestingly enough, a friend of mine is interested in ordering basically the same jacket I ordered and was interested in the satin lining, but its not even an option in leather that heavy. So it all worked out well in the end.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I know aero has black and wine colored thick and durable sateen.

I asked Amanda about the arms on my cheyenne, if they could do sateen over alpaca in the sleeves to ease getting in and out. I didnt think about the arms might get bulky, but I asked if it made sense. Amanda didnt say anything about it being bad, she just said ok and asked what color I want.

Isnt there always insulation of some sort in the arms?
Sounds like a bad winter jacket with just cotton in the arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24