Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

• Total voters
Just for that, a box of "peacock" ties are headed for the Bay Area, average width 5"...lol And, no, you can't make a smoking jacket or quilt out of them.

Peacock? If I get that then you'll get a BIG box of 70s ties just like this:
UGLY-TIE-2.jpg
This is only a sampling of the horrors to come too. :eek:

I buy nothing, unless I feel it's a deal. That said, I wouldn't pay more than about 10 bucks, unless it was a tie that I really fell in love with. So far, that hasn't happened yet, not to say it won't.

sylviasanders

New in Town
I've bought a vintage tie once as a gift for someone, was a 1940s El Grandee for Fred Harvey mens swing necktie, cost me about $30 buy. Normally i see the prices on vintage neckties range between $5 to $50, depending on year and make.

It's just that I find it easier to see what I want like on E-bay and pay a bit more than go through a lot of searching with little or no results.

I'll put it this way if you make $20 per hour and spend two hours finding a tie for $1 in actuality that tie is worth $41. If I spend 20 minutes browsing E-bay that's Roughly $7 plus say $10 for the tie is a total of $17.

In other words I get frustrated with looking after a while especially when there lots of crap ties and either no good ones or maybe one that is OK.

Vinnie pin stripes

New in Town
I have about 15 1930-1940 original ties, If I remember right the most I paid was 28.00 USD for a beautiful dark green silk tie that looked like it just came off the shelf.

It's just that I find it easier to see what I want like on E-bay and pay a bit more than go through a lot of searching with little or no results.

I'll put it this way if you make $20 per hour and spend two hours finding a tie for $1 in actuality that tie is worth $41. If I spend 20 minutes browsing E-bay that's Roughly $7 plus say $10 for the tie is a total of $17.

In other words I get frustrated with looking after a while especially when there lots of crap ties and either no good ones or maybe one that is OK.

That is how I see it. I let someone else look and scrounge for it and then I can cherry pick for less than it costs me to find it myself. It likely costs them more than they are selling them for when you consider the time, searching and gas used in the process. :p My marginal utility is much higher that way. :D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I would probably be willing to spend about thirty dollars on just the right tie if I came across it. This isn't bad at all, considering the relation to modern tie prices, many of which are overpriced.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I said $30 or less. While I do not spend more than $20 or so on the tie, I have to get them mail order/ebay so by the time you factor in shipping etc. Its often 20 something. But as others said its still a deal compared to what modern ties that are not as nice cost...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925