Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

• Total voters

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I would probably be willing to spend about thirty dollars on just the right tie if I came across it. This isn't bad at all, considering the relation to modern tie prices, many of which are overpriced.

Even at Nordstrom's Rack, where prices are often "slashed" in half, neckties from China run $20, and most of them are too thick. I don't know what part of CA you're from, but in Beverly Hills, hand-made Italian silk ties can "command" $175. And I think most of us would agree that modern ties are usually not as "stylish" as vintage ones. (Although two students recently gave me some rather sporty-looking modern ties for Christmas...)

Even at Nordstrom's Rack, where prices are often "slashed" in half, neckties from China run $20, and most of them are too thick. I don't know what part of CA you're from, but in Beverly Hills, hand-made Italian silk ties can "command" $175. And I think most of us would agree that modern ties are usually not as "stylish" as vintage ones. (Although two students recently gave me some rather sporty-looking modern ties for Christmas...)

Were those the Star Wars ties? ;):p

In my search for Bold Look ties the price of a tie has to do with the sense of value and desire.

The components of the the value and desire of the tie that are of concern are: design, color scheme, condition, materials and perhaps the maker.

For me the design and color scheme are pretty important along with the condition, while the materials and maker are of lesser importance. I like certain designs especially a long design that is like a swooping S curve down the front of the tie. I also like Palm Trees and tropical themes a lot.

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
I got this really nice deco style tie from the early 40s at a place in Pomona called La Bamba. It cost me $30 and its one of a kind. I also got a vintage 40s tie at frock you vintage in San Diego for $15. The styles are hard to find especally a tie that does not have red. I got a brown a cream color tie in Virginia at Bygones for $15 as well. Its my Favorite vintage tie.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I got this really nice deco style tie from the early 40s at a place in Pomona called La Bamba. It cost me $30 and its one of a kind. I also got a vintage 40s tie at frock you vintage in San Diego for $15. The styles are hard to find especally a tie that does not have red. I got a brown a cream color tie in Virginia at Bygones for $15 as well. Its my Favorite vintage tie.

You need to post them on the Show Us Your Ties thread.

^^The more "bold" or definitive a tie is determines if I'll purchase it, although I have to admit that for me, maker's and seller's labels add to the intrinsic value.
Really don't know as much about the makers as you do but I do know that the seller's labels can add a lot of interest for me. I have a tie with a Covina men's shop label which was really cool for me.

Really don't know as much about the makers as you do but I do know that the seller's labels can add a lot of interest for me. I have a tie with a Covina men's shop label which was really cool for me.

I love the Damon Art tag with the elf sitting on a tube of oil paint. That is a nice one. The BeauBrummell label with Beau in a tophat and finery is another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925