Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wear a hat?

How often do you wear a hat?

• Total voters

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Most of the time, but sometimes I don't bother. It's getting more and more often, though, I can see a time coming when it will be a case of never leaving without a hat.

azshawn

Familiar Face
Most of the time for me. I wear a straw fedora while out appraising, but need to get a nicer straw and a felt hat to wear other times. I usually am wearing a classic type cap (newsboy, flat) and find myself rarely wearing ball caps anymore, they have so little style.

JimWagner

Practically Family
If I'm outside I'm wearing a hat or cap of some kind. I'd feel naked without one. Wait a minute, my head is naked without one.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Every time I go outside, which is practically every day. I feel naked without a hat on my head, just like I would without shoes.

barrowjh

One Too Many
If you make a point of wearing a hat every time you go out the door, it does not take long for it to become a necessity - the sense of feeling 'naked' without a hat. This is what will help you remember and not leave your hat in a restaurant or where ever. So, to develop that habit, you invest the effort, and pretty soon it is a requirement. I keep a 'beater' at the ready for short trips (get the mail, water plants on front porch, cooking on the grill, etc.) in addition to my better hats for when I actually leave the property altogether.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Most of the time, but not always. On work days if it's cold or rainy... but it's only just for the 30 seconds it takes to walk to my car, as I have indoor parking at work. Often I just throw a newsboy cap into whatever bag I'm carrying, in case I'll need it later.

Obviously, if I'm going to be outside for any length of time I always wear a hat/cap... but that's not really a daily thing for me at this point...

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I wish I could say I wear a hat everyday. I used to. These days, I have a job which requires me to wear a uniform, and unless I go out before or after work, I sometimes go a good chunk of my work week without wearing one of my hats. I do try to live them up on the weekends though.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Kinda a funny thing, since I started always wearing a hat, my eyes have gotten very sensitive to the sun.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wish I could say I wear a hat everyday. I used to. These days, I have a job which requires me to wear a uniform, and unless I go out before or after work, I sometimes go a good chunk of my work week without wearing one of my hats. I do try to live them up on the weekends though.

That's something like me. I don't have a uniform, but in work situations I don't usually wear a hat because they are a little off-putting in the hatless business world. When there is a conference or something more anonymous though, then I do. But like you I maximize the weekends--children's soccer and hockey games, trips out of town, trips to the mall, even to the Post Office. The practice is a little less eccentric-looking than it was five years ago. Now lots of guys grab fedoras for casual.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If you make a point of wearing a hat every time you go out the door, it does not take long for it to become a necessity - the sense of feeling 'naked' without a hat. This is what will help you remember and not leave your hat in a restaurant or where ever. So, to develop that habit, you invest the effort, and pretty soon it is a requirement.

This is a great point. One thing I never leave anywhere is my hat because its a part of me every single time I am out of the house. When I am leaving at the end of a visit to wherever, the hat comes with me because it just does. There is no other way.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Kinda a funny thing, since I started always wearing a hat, my eyes have gotten very sensitive to the sun.

Interesting. I have found that when wearing a fedora, or a western, as opposed to a ball cap where the curve of the bill doesnt block any forward-and-up light, that I dont need sunglasses anymore. And my eyes are sensitive to light.

This is a great point. One thing I never leave anywhere is my hat because its a part of me every single time I am out of the house. When I am leaving at the end of a visit to wherever, the hat comes with me because it just does. There is no other way.

Very true. I wear a hat almost daily, the few times I have left the house without one, I feel like something is missing. I keep looking down to make sure I have pants on!

But really, imagine 50-60 years ago hats were a regular part of most men's daily wardrobe.
My big problem now is trying to match outfits and hats, sometimes I think I need to get a new hat for a certain jacket or shirt.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My big problem now is trying to match outfits and hats, sometimes I think I need to get a new hat for a certain jacket or shirt.

Yes, I think that's a real concern. Hats are often very specific to clothes--they definitely go with some jackets/coats/shirts, and definitely don't go with others. I guess how many hats you have depends on your tolerance for acquiring new fetl property.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone noticed how the percentage of wearers of hats daily has DROPPED since this survey started ? We now are at ONLY 66.30% of us wearing a hat daily !! Still, I guess that's better than the national average, it's still LESS than I would have thought it would have been MORE here :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
it's still LESS than I would have thought it would have been MORE here :)
Boy, this sentence is giving me a headache. ;) Anyway, I would classify the respondents to the top three categories as hat wearers and that amounts to over 95%.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I don't leave the house without a hat on, and frequently wear one IN the house, especially when I'm on the computer, to shade my eyes

I don't go to the office without a hat AND tie, except on Saturdays or after the temp tops 80

I take my hat off in other people's offices, when I'm meeting with the public in my office and in meetings ... however, I wear my hat while in the office on the computer for the same reason ... eye shade

Sam

EggHead

Practically Family
I wear a hat every time I go out. Unless I am driving door to door, which is rare, I take mostly public transportation.
Yes, a fedora or outback which I wear, protect my eyes from sun and I don't have to wear sunglasses. I also noticed I don't get sick as often or as much. Great in drizzly/rainy weather too, no need for an umbrella, keeps my hands free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran