Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wear a hat?

How often do you wear a hat?

• Total voters

Bebop

Practically Family
I find myself wearing a hat all the time. I sometimes forget to take it off when I am home working indoors. Someone always points it out to me. In the summer it might be a light weight Kangol but I have to have something on my head. I have photos of me as a kid and I have a hat on in most of them. I never gave it a second thought until the mid 70's when someone asked me if I was into hat collecting. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I guess so". [huh] The rest is history.......

Torpedo

One Too Many
I voted "most of the time", which is a fair reply. I normally wear a hat every day, sometimes a newsboy or a flat cap; at times, both in the same day (but not at once :D). In the summer heat, this frequency may drop a little, specially as regards to caps.

On work days, I wear the hat to and from the workplace, but not usually in-between; I mean, if I have to go out for job-related errands (which is frequent), I most often leave it at office, because of practical reasons related to the nature of the job, and because I have to deal with a variety of people and I do not want the perceived eccentricity of me wearing a hat to wrongly affect the professional impression I want to give.

Hal

Practically Family
It's rare for me to go hatless once the temp drops below 50°F or so. But as the temps grow warmer I'm less likely to wear a hat;maybe half the time, depending on the amount of sun I need to deal with.
This is basically my practice as well, as apart from wearing a flat cap with a tweed sports jacket, I only wear a hat with an overcoat or raincoat (as, I believe, Tomasso does himself as he has written in another thread). 10C (50F) is a reasonable cut-off point for overcoats, I find. I don't own a Panama at present but intend to acquire one.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I only have 1 proper fedora, and 2 flat caps that get worn in fall and winter as well. Starting from this summer when I got my first panamas, I seem to wear a hat about 4 days a week whether it be a flat cap or a panama or fedora. I'd like to get a couple more felt fedoras and round out my collection. At that point I'd probably wear a hat 6 or 7 days a week.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Has anyone noticed how the percentage of wearers of hats daily has DROPPED since this survey started ? We now are at ONLY 66.30% of us wearing a hat daily !! Still, I guess that's better than the national average, it's still LESS than I would have thought it would have been MORE here :)

I answered 'most of the time' because that was more true for me than 'just about every day',I wear a hat every day not 'just about every day',in fact I wear a hat 'most of the time',always outdoors,often indoors depending on the environment.I thought it odd that 'just about every day' was at the top!

Last edited:

Oscar

New in Town
Most of the time... I don't wear it when I go to work, and I work full time. But on my days off or if I go out with friends, I'll wear my hat.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I answered 'most of the time' because that was more true for me than 'just about every day',I wear a hat every day not 'just about every day',in fact I wear a hat 'most of the time',always outdoors,often indoors depending on the environment.I thought it odd that 'just about every day' was at the top!

Uh, sorry about creating the confusion over this. What I meant for the "just about every day" category, was to include both people who wear hats every day, in the literal sense, and people who occasionally skip a day (one, not two in a row usually) wearing one, under one category. The idea behind "most of the time," is to include an option for people who wear hats slightly less than the top category wearers would, and the idea applies to the rest of the poll options as well. Maybe I wasn't too clear, sorry... That aside, you can vote for which category suits your lifestyle most accurately out of the ones there, I suppose.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
I've had acquaintances not recognize me those rare times when I'm not equipped with a hat. So I'd say fairly often.

Similar happens to me frequently: people don't recognise me straight away, depending what hat I wear. I quite like that, another reason why I wear hats regularily. Blending in without being noticed .... :D

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
I wear a hat every day. I am seldom seen out of doors without one; even if I'm only going out to fetch the mail, I'll usually wear a hat. I just quite happen to like wearing them, so I take whatever excuse is handy.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am the one in rarely!!!
Maybe I voted wrong, but I only wear a straw borsalino in the summer when in Italy - or if the sun is to hard back home in Denmark. To me that's "rarely". :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I am the one in rarely!!!
Maybe I voted wrong, but I only wear a straw borsalino in the summer when in Italy - or if the sun is to hard back home in Denmark. To me that's "rarely". :)

Well thanks for being honest, wear that Borsalino well! How long have you had it anyway?

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
I wear one most days. It's only been a couple of weeks since I got my first hat, and already I feel "naked" when I go out without one :eek:

Mind you...I had to keep my hand on it this morning, it was sooo windy!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Uh, sorry about creating the confusion over this. What I meant for the "just about every day" category, was to include both people who wear hats every day, in the literal sense, and people who occasionally skip a day (one, not two in a row usually) wearing one, under one category. The idea behind "most of the time," is to include an option for people who wear hats slightly less than the top category wearers would, and the idea applies to the rest of the poll options as well. Maybe I wasn't too clear, sorry... That aside, you can vote for which category suits your lifestyle most accurately out of the ones there, I suppose.

Thats okay. I still need a 'daily' category. ;o)

Dutchman

New in Town
I am a new member at the Lounge and have been reading many very interesting threads. You fellas are super into hats. That's way cool in my book. I've been trying to bring back hats among my friends for years. I'm a hat buy; or should I say cap guy.
I only wear hats occassionally but plan to do so much more often. I often wear a ball cap or do-rag when riding my Harley or for other leasure activities, but those don't count in my book. I wear a black baret in cold weather and a Russian Ushenko in freezing weather here in the Chicago area. I've got a Barbour waxed cotton for rainy days, fishing or bird hunting. I also wear a straw boater in the summer but it takes a certain occassion to pull that one off right.
I love my Biltmore President and want to wear it more often. I plan to order a new lid from Falcon Park in the coming weeks. It looks like he does a good job and he uses Winchester blanks.
With help of the Lounge and you fine people I'm learning more about quality hats every day.
Cheers,
Bryan

Welcome Bryan. Looking forward to photos of that Falcon Park custom!
You can say we are super into hats. Others call it an affliction....

I am a new member at the Lounge and have been reading many very interesting threads. You fellas are super into hats. That's way cool in my book. I've been trying to bring back hats among my friends for years. I'm a hat buy; or should I say cap guy.
I only wear hats occassionally but plan to do so much more often. I often wear a ball cap or do-rag when riding my Harley or for other leasure activities, but those don't count in my book. I wear a black baret in cold weather and a Russian Ushenko in freezing weather here in the Chicago area. I've got a Barbour waxed cotton for rainy days, fishing or bird hunting. I also wear a straw boater in the summer but it takes a certain occassion to pull that one off right.
I love my Biltmore President and want to wear it more often. I plan to order a new lid from Falcon Park in the coming weeks. It looks like he does a good job and he uses Winchester blanks.
With help of the Lounge and you fine people I'm learning more about quality hats every day.
Cheers,
Bryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff