Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Old Are The Members of The Fedora Lounge?

what's your age group

• under 25

Votes: 50 16.0%
  • 25-35

Votes: 71 22.7%
  • 36-45

Votes: 48 15.3%
  • 45-and over

Votes: 144 46.0%

• Total voters
This is the first time I have seen this thread. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Turns out , for some of you, it looks like I was older than your age now when you were born! (I have not read most of the thread yet, however.) I voted for Richard Nixon for criminy sake (at least I can joke about it). Truman was still president when I was born.
Although many of you are more interested in an era a little newer than my main interests, I kind o like this place. I preferred Al Jolson and Paul Whiteman to the music of my high school years. I sometimes drove the 1929 REO I had at the time to high school. I later sold the REO because I concluded it was a "bit too modern" for my liking. A good long-time friend of mine (who happens to be only a few years younger than I) told me of this site and said I would find a lot of stuff here that I would like. He was right.
I am also pleased to see some younger generation individuals taking so much interest in OUR recent past. The antique automobiles I love so much are a major part of all OUR history. Whether for good or for bad. NO ONE in this world today would be where they are if not for all the history of the past hundred plus years.
One of my long-time favorite sayings is; "You cannot know where you are going, unless you know where you are. And you cannot truly know where you are, unless you know where you were."
I can take some comfort in not being quite the oldest one here, yet. Although I usually feel like I am 90.
As for the survey? Whether I mark it today? Or the first day it began here? It would be the same box. How many of you can say that?

I was born almost four months before Eisenhower was elected.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As for the survey? Whether I mark it today? Or the first day it began here? It would be the same box. How many of you can say that?

I was born almost four months before Eisenhower was elected.

Unfortunately, not only was I in the 45 and over when this thread was started, I was still in the same age bracket when I joined the group in 2009, with change left over!

SurfGent

Suspended
image.jpg 33 years young

Yeah, I knew there were a few (probably more than have admitted it here yet) that are older than I. But 40 years of hard work have taken their toll, and for most of my life, I have been one of the youngsters in the antique automobile hobby. I first joined the Horseless Carriage Club of America before I was old enough to get a driver's license. It is sometimes a little disturbing to discover that you are way past the halfway point.
Good to hear from you Redshoes51 !
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

GHT

I'll Lock Up
One of my long-time favorite sayings is; "You cannot know where you are going, unless you know where you are. And you cannot truly know where you are, unless you know where you were."

One of my favourite sayings is: "Growing old is inevitable, growing up isn't.

I can take some comfort in not being quite the oldest one here, yet. Although I usually feel like I am 90.

Here's a few observations that come from one who has been around a while:

Life is sexually transmitted.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.

Health freaks are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospitals, dying of nothing.

All of us could take a lesson from the weather, it pays no attention to criticism.

In the 60s, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.

Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last very long.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I knew there were a few (probably more than have admitted it here yet) that are older than I... It is sometimes a little disturbing to discover that you are way past the halfway point.

I guess it depends on how one defines 'halfway' point... given that male life expectancy is around 75 or so, I passed that some time ago... the only birthday that has really caused me to do a great deal of self reflection (redundant?) was my 59th...

I've been fortunate enough to have been a professor at a small university.... those 'kids' have kept me young at heart down through the years...

I have no idea what I will do when I retire, although I've spent a great deal of time lately working on it!

Cheers!!

~shoes~

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
One of my favourite sayings is: "Growing old is inevitable, growing up isn't.

Here's a few observations that come from one who has been around a while:

Life is sexually transmitted.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.

Health freaks are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospitals, dying of nothing.

All of us could take a lesson from the weather, it pays no attention to criticism.

In the 60s, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.

Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last very long.

GHT!!!

I LOVE this AND your outlook!!!!

Amazing!!!

~shoes~

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I guess it depends on how one defines 'halfway' point... given that male life expectancy is around 75 or so, I passed that some time ago... the only birthday that has really caused me to do a great deal of self reflection (redundant?) was my 59th...

I've been fortunate enough to have been a professor at a small university.... those 'kids' have kept me young at heart down through the years...

I have no idea what I will do when I retire, although I've spent a great deal of time lately working on it!

Cheers!!

~shoes~

I have people tell me I am middle-aged, I tell them that even if I live as long as my one Grandfather, 86, that means I was middle-aged over a decade ago!

I have people tell me I am middle-aged, I tell them that even if I live as long as my one Grandfather, 86, that means I was middle-aged over a decade ago!
That's one thing I've never quite understood myself--when people say "middle-aged" they're usually referring to someone in their 50s. I don't know about you folks, but I don't know too many people who have lived to be 100 years old or more. [huh]

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I don't know too many people who have lived to be 100 years old or more. [huh]
To be honest, I really wouldn't want to. That's not a pessimistic view of the future, more a case of not wanting to outlive my peers. We used to expect three score years and ten, that expectation creeps higher and higher.

I don't mind getting old, but I do get p*ssed off going to yet another friend's funeral, especially, like weddings in my youth, someone says cheerily: "You're next!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To be honest, I really wouldn't want to. That's not a pessimistic view of the future, more a case of not wanting to outlive my peers. We used to expect three score years and ten, that expectation creeps higher and higher.

If someone offered me an elixir that would guarantee I would live to be 100, I'd run as fast as I could in the other direction. It's hard enough to earn a living in the 21st Century for a woman in her fifties, I can't imagine the horror of trying to do it when I'm 100.

Last edited:
That's one thing I've never quite understood myself--when people say "middle-aged" they're usually referring to someone in their 50s. I don't know about you folks, but I don't know too many people who have lived to be 100 years old or more. [huh]

I know a few who almost got here. 93 and 96. I want to make 125 so I can outlive my enemies and make some new ones. :p

To be honest, I really wouldn't want to...
Neither would I, unless I were able to reach the 100 mark with none of the health issues that tend to come with advanced age, and not have the financial concerns Miss Lizzie mentioned above.

...I don't mind getting old, but I do get p*ssed off going to yet another friend's funeral, especially, like weddings in my youth, someone says cheerily: "You're next!"
Well, that's a rude thing to say. My wife and I have lost a number of relatives and friends in recent years, and last year on the forums I frequent regularly there were several "So-and-so passed away..." notifications, so I'm well aware that the days ahead are far fewer in number than the days behind. There was a line of dialogue in the last Indiana Jones movie: "We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things, and starts taking them away." Since I was aware that I had already reached that age, that line made an impact.

Neither would I, unless I were able to reach the 100 mark with none of the health issues that tend to come with advanced age, and not have the financial concerns Miss Lizzie mentioned above.

Well, that's a rude thing to say. My wife and I have lost a number of relatives and friends in recent years, and last year on the forums I frequent regularly there were several "So-and-so passed away..." notifications, so I'm well aware that the days ahead are far fewer in number than the days behind. There was a line of dialogue in the last Indiana Jones movie: "We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things, and starts taking them away." Since I was aware that I had already reached that age, that line made an impact.

Unfortunately I reached that age a long time ago now. My father has been gone since 1993. Mother since 2005. She was the last of my living relatives. No grand parents left, never had any siblings--thank God----One cousin I have not seen in 30 some odd years and that is it. This was all before I was 40 though....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I don't mind getting old, but I do get p*ssed off going to yet another friend's funeral, especially, like weddings in my youth, someone says cheerily: "You're next!"

When my Mother passed away, I got a phone call from her best friend who was 98. She was crying, and said to me, "all my friends are gone," I didn't know what to say! She passed away a few months latter. Sure puts living a long life into perspective!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn