Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is your house?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Chez Binkie" was built in 1947, there is a charming elderly lady in my street who was the first person to move in to the street, she vividly remembers my house being built and the couple who first lived here, he was a returned serviceman with an "Asian" war bride, which raised a few eyebrows in conservative 1940's Australia."

"There is a Catholic convent close by and Nuns would walk their cows down the street to be milked at a nearby dairy, A Freeway and suburban rail line, have been built through the area, and now the convent is on the other side, and the Nuns purchase Milk at the Supermarket!"

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Our house was built in 1894. We moved in August last year and it is our first house so we were very pleased to get a period property. There are some nice period features and it's surprisingly spacious.

Here's a shot of Buchanan Cottages with all the recent snow we just had. We have some plans for sprucing up the outside in the Spring or Summer.

6Jan2010-1.jpg

Our neighbour on the other side of the semi-detaching has lived here since 1946. Back then our road was mostly orchards and there was a large plant nursery just around the corner.

I hope that I might be able to find an old pic one day showing our street as it was before all the bungalows were built in the 60s. The nice thing is it is a mixture of housing from Victorian to 1920s to 60s/70s which makes for a much more interesting streetscape than you often get in the UK.

draws

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
Our house was built in 1894. We moved in August last year and it is our first house so we were very pleased to get a period property. There are some nice period features and it's surprisingly spacious.

Here's a shot of Buchanan Cottages with all the recent snow we just had. We have some plans for sprucing up the outside in the Spring or Summer.

6Jan2010-1.jpg

Our neighbour on the other side of the semi-detaching has lived here since 1946. Back then our road was mostly orchards and there was a large plant nursery just around the corner.

I hope that I might be able to find an old pic one day showing our street as it was before all the bungalows were built in the 60s. The nice thing is it is a mixture of housing from Victorian to 1920s to 60s/70s which makes for a much more interesting streetscape than you often get in the UK.
Nice! I like it.

Lancealot

Practically Family
My house was built in 1949 by my maternal Grandparents, they moved in in early 1950. So there has been one of the family living here since it was built. After my Grandmother passed my Mother inherited it and then when I went through my divorce I purchased it from my Mother.

n1245971397_352534_1515109.jpg

This pic is from March last year.

232323232%7Ffp63242%3Enu%3D3356%3E8%3A9%3E442%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C59%3B8377337nu0mrj

My Mom and her Dad out front around 1952.

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
My house was built in 1899 and was the first permanent structure built at that location. It was built of Southern Yellow Pine on a blue stone foundation.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My grandfather was the original owner, 1967, then my dad bought it from granddad in 1988, then my husband and I bought it from dad in 1999. Before buying the house, husband and I had lived on the top floor of a 4 floor walk-up apartment building built in 1902. There was no central air or heating, the fridge was from the 40 and there was a built-in ice box on the wooden fire escape. Sure, it had lots of design elements, but drafty in the winter, broiling in the summer, not enough room in the kitchen to actually cook, ect. We knew we wanted something modern enough to be comfortable, but old enough to still be well-built.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The original portion of the house I'm living in was built, I'm told, around 1900--a four-room farmhouse with a fifth room/attic upstairs and an outhouse out back. Rhonda's grandparents added on to it here and there so it's now kind of a hodge-podge of rooms that result in a rather inefficient floor plan.

When I was stationed at Rhein-Main Air Base in the early '90s I lived in an old house in Kelsterbach. I had the second floor. I don't know how old it was, but it was a half-timbered house with mud/straw packed walls. If I popped up into the attic I could see how they added electricity to the building and the hand-hewn exposed timbers.

Regards,
Tom

elserienkeklave

New in Town
Ok,not my house but the house I grew up in ;1908
we used to have a umbrella stuck in the ceiling of the toilet to keep tou dry, wich says everything about the then state of the house

Lillemor

One Too Many
Had it built in 2000. Wouldn't want something older. Very generic looking. Great for mid century modern interior restyling if I ever get around to that. The only thing I'd rather have is a retro 50s style ranch house but due to allergies and asthma I'm going to have to insist on a new, dry, evenly warm house with floor heating like the house we have now.

John Warr

Familiar Face
The front part on the High Street was built about 1565 -1575. The newer bit at the back was built more recently in about 1675 as a wheelwright's workshop and converted into dwelling space in about 1948 - 1952.

Ceilings tend to be a little bit low, doorways more so. Windows are small & so the place tends to be a bit dark, but it stays pretty cool in summer & is easier to keep warm in winter.

Lenore

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
Had it built in 2000. Wouldn't want something older. Very generic looking. Great for mid century modern interior restyling if I ever get around to that. The only thing I'd rather have is a retro 50s style ranch house but due to allergies and asthma I'm going to have to insist on a new, dry, evenly warm house with floor heating like the house we have now.

I know that feeling. My hubby and I joke that if we ever win the lotto I'm going to build us a new "old" house. Everything I like combined. Repro looks, retro appliances, etc. down to the pulls on the drawer handles... in the walls, modern plumbing, electrical wires and fiber optic cables, and, most importantly, no chance of mold or other things that may or may not set me off.

dnjan

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
According to the info I have the Little House in Covina was built in 1962 or 63 slab construction. Many of the eletrical outlets are only the non grounded 2 prong type with a handful of the 3 prong.
... and one wonders if the three-prong outlets are really grounded, or just a replacement outlet put in when one of the originals failed.

I have some of those ungrounded "grounded" outlets in my current house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot