Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How popular was/is your name?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Amelie said:
Unfortunately my name is not an english one, so not anywhere, but it means Industrious, Admiring

I must find the french equivalent of that, it would be fun lol

edit: apparently Am?©lie became really popular in the 80's, was somewhat liked from 1900 to mid 20s, but it's like n?©ant betwen that and the 80's lol

Dont worry if you cant find your name, I cant either (S??ren...how strange is that?) Love your name - and love the movie by the same name.;)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
The land of Moose and Squirrl

Even though I now live in the land where there are many, many Mooses and even more Squirrels. I grew up with that darn "Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!"(Like a boy name Sue).
Anyway, it's Rocco. My Grandma called me Rocci which means little bitty Rocco. the name stuck. And yes sometimes it";) Sucks"

Brooksie

One Too Many
Sunny said:
I feel your pain, but you got a laugh out of me. lol

My nickname, which I always go by, I have no problem with but was never popular until the 60s and 70s. Before then, it was usually a nickname, and often for men with a certain hair color. ;)

Hmm Im thinking your nickname must be Rusty?

Brooksie

My name is Lisa it means consecrated to God and it ranked #1 as the most popular name in the 1960's which was when i was born (in the very late 60's that is).

Brooksie

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
My middle name, Lee (usually listed as meaning 'from the pasture'--how amusing is that), has apparently been fairly popular since the 1900s.

My middle name is Lee, too. I married a Leaf. I am now: Jennifer Lee Leaf :rolleyes: :p If you say it really fast, it sounds like: Jennifer wee-wee. Or, at least, it sounded that way once when my hubby said it lol It is now an ongoing joke with us. My MIL is Cindy Lou Leaf. I think that one is even more amusing :)

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Adelaide-- noble, kind

Semi-popular 1900's-1920's, barely exists in the 30's and 40's.... and now has disappeared into oblivion...lol

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Mine too

Amy Jeanne said:
Amy: Beloved

Most popular in the 1970s -- the decade I'm least interested in (also the decade I was born!)

Least popular in the 1930s -- the decade I'm most interested in.

Figures. "Amy" is a very 70s name, I think. It always makes me think of hippies for some reason [huh]

Ditto

Honey Doll

warbird

One Too Many
Adelaidey said:
Semi-popular 1900's-1920's, barely exists in the 30's and 40's.... and now has disappeared into oblivion...lol

If our last child had been a girl, we would have named her Adelaide. Pretty name. But, alas, we had a boy and named him Blaise.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Sunny said:
For some reason, I'm having a 1930s connotation when I hear Simone. Ah, I have it! It was the name of a woman writer in one of Agatha Christie's books... Death on the Nile! Yes, that was it. But that authoress (of romance novels!) was definitely middle-aged at the time, and would definitely have been born in the 1880s or 1890s. So I guess the site just doesn't go far enough back. ;)

That's interesting. I've not heard of this character. It seems only elderly french women and youngsters are called Simone these days.

I only know of Simone Simon and Simone De Bouvier, both golden era and I guess that's where my Mum heard it. (I was not born until the 70s) It is pronounced the same as S. De Bouvier, not like Nina Simone.

I also have a french middle name, Marie, although my mother is a New Zealander and my Dad is Dutch. Confuses people a bit sometimes....

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Matthew - Means: God's Gift
Decade Popularity Rank
1900's - 168
1910's - 159
1920's - 180
1930's - 225
1940's - 205
1950's - 100
1960's - 36
1970's - 10
1980's - 3
1990's - 3

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
James was pretty danged stable till the 90s

1900's - 3
1910's - 3
1920's - 3
1930's - 2
1940's - 1
1950's - 2
1960's - 4
1970's - 5
1980's - 7
1990's - 13

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
My name seems to have gotten a blast of popularity in the last few decades. Of course, that's relative, since the most popular is 274.

Nickolas
1900s >1000
1910s 693
1920s 586
1930s 861
1940s 768
1950s 790
1960s 864
1970s 512
1980s 304
1990s 274

I'm always correcting people, it's NicK, not NicH. NicHolas has been pretty darn popular for the last 100 years, apparently.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
For the 30's/40's, of course remember that names listed for them are popular baby names during those times. For the typical adult name, go back 20-50 years.

My name isn't terribly creative - it's been number one since before I was born. But, at least my parents were going with themes (first names of saints, middle names after relatives).

For exploring names, I like the Name Voyager. Requires Java, but graphically shows you various names popularity, narrowing as you type.

I kind of like one set of my ancestors names. If I'm counting correctly, a Great x8 set of grandparents, Richard and Abigale Lippincott, must have joined one of those faiths that like trait names. Their children were named Remembrance, John, Abigale, Restore, Freedome, Increase, Jacob, and Preserved. Now those are some names. Probably not too out of place in the 1640's-60's, however.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
My name, Sarah (means Princess), has always been popular, although it did drop quite a bit in the 50's.My middle name, Lindsey(means Linden trees near the water), wasn't even on the chart until the seventies.From there it climbed to 44 and then dropped to 64 in the 90's.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
I would rather've been Aloysius

My given name is Paul, which seems to have consistently common, but declined noticeably in the last forty years, but not so much that I am seldom in the situation of being in a room with someone with whom I might be confused upon the calling out of the name, "Paul!" My clumsy hearing exacerbates this situation as I often mistake monosyllabic words with the same vowel for my name.

My dear parents have the misfortunes of being named, "Lisbeth," (this odd, often mistaken name isn't even listed) and, "Clarence," (this name has dropped drastically since the forties, when my father was given it in imitation of his father's name, and it was on the decline even then). Both had nicknames that overtook their common names very nearly from the moment of their births.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari