Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How popular was/is your name?

S

Samsa

My name means "God saves." Apparently it was extremely unpopular during the Golden Era...

Sunny

One Too Many
My real name, Virginia, was uniformly very popular from the beginning of the century through the 1930s and 1940s, then it rapidly tapered off.

I'm named after my great-great aunt, Auntie Ve, who was born in the 1900s (I think). She was my grandmother's favorite aunt, and my mother loved her, too. :)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
How perfect! Mine was most popular in the 1900's, my favorite years, it was the 4th most popular name. And apparently it means gracious. Which I try to be, but [huh]

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Manly and courageous

Andrew was in the top 100 for the entire century. Low point was the 1940s at 86, and high point was in the 1990s at 6. I don't think popularity mattered to my parents when they chose it, as I was named (first and middle) for a cousin killed in WW1.

My son, the protector of mankind, has a less popular name, but it was always in the top 250 throughout the century. I'll let him write up his actual name, once he has a membership at the Lounge. First he will need a computer, and reading and writing will also probably help. Give him a couple of years, he is still working his way out of diapers.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Whew, Jennifer appeared in the 40's and was starting to gain popularity in the 50's. It was the #1 most popular name in the 70's. My mom chose it on purpose. Her name is Edith, and even in 1947 when she was born, Edith wasn't popular. She hated her name and hated being picked on because of it. So I was named Jennifer so that no one could pick on me for my name.

It did cause confusion when I played basketball, there were 4 Jennifers on the team. One was Jen, Jenny, Jennifer, and I was just called "Woman" or my maiden name "Killmer".

Sunny

One Too Many
Paisley said:
My name is Lori. Ugh. It was really popular in the 60s and 70s. Double Ugh.

I feel your pain, but you got a laugh out of me. lol

My nickname, which I always go by, I have no problem with but was never popular until the 60s and 70s. Before then, it was usually a nickname, and often for men with a certain hair color. ;)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
Whew, Jennifer appeared in the 40's and was starting to gain popularity in the 50's. It was the #1 most popular name in the 70's. My mom chose it on purpose. Her name is Edith, and even in 1947 when she was born, Edith wasn't popular. She hated her name and hated being picked on because of it. So I was named Jennifer so that no one could pick on me for my name.

It did cause confusion when I played basketball, there were 4 Jennifers on the team. One was Jen, Jenny, Jennifer, and I was just called "Woman" or my maiden name "Killmer".

Just a note, but I -love- the name Edith. I think I have ever since I learned to recognize people's names. I think it's very beautiful and sophisticated. :) I would gladly trade names for that in place of my common one! :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Amy: Beloved

Most popular in the 1970s -- the decade I'm least interested in (also the decade I was born!)

Least popular in the 1930s -- the decade I'm most interested in.

Figures. "Amy" is a very 70s name, I think. It always makes me think of hippies for some reason [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari