Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How popular was/is your name?

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
Samantha-Listener of God

My name was big in the 80s (go figure!). Mom said she went into labor while watching Bewitched and ran with the name. lol

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I guess Dan was popular in the 40's and 50's at 134 and 135. My birth certificate says Daniel, but I've only ever been called Dan, or Danny by friends. (Ya'll are welcome to call me either;))

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I'm not surprised:

Decade Rank
1900's >1000
1910's >1000
1920's >1000
1930's >1000
1940's >1000
1950's >1000
1960's >1000
1970's >1000
1980's >1000
1990's >1000

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Simone - not a common name, or at least not until the 90s when it at least registers!

Means obedient, harkening (or according to that site, it is heard.) Is the feminine form of Simon.

No idea where my Mum got it from. I think she heard of Simone Simon and thought it was interesting. She was expecting me to be a boy so she had to think quick!

Rosie

One Too Many
Wow! I'm actually suprised my name had even a bit of popularity before 1977 (roots changed lots of names in the Black community). It was most popular during the 80's where it ranked 608. Not bad for an obscure name derived from an almost non exsistent dialect of Swahili.

Sunny

One Too Many
Paisley said:
At least "Lori" has a good meaning: wearer of laurels. In fact, today I'm wearing a cameo that depicts such a figure.

Sounds beautiful, like the meaning. :) My brother's sweet on a girl named Laurel. Good associations all around. :eusa_clap

Miss Sis said:
Simone - not a common name, or at least not until the 90s when it at least registers!

Means obedient, harkening (or according to that site, it is heard.) Is the feminine form of Simon.

No idea where my Mum got it from. I think she heard of Simone Simon and thought it was interesting. She was expecting me to be a boy so she had to think quick!

For some reason, I'm having a 1930s connotation when I hear Simone. Ah, I have it! It was the name of a woman writer in one of Agatha Christie's books... Death on the Nile! Yes, that was it. But that authoress (of romance novels!) was definitely middle-aged at the time, and would definitely have been born in the 1880s or 1890s. So I guess the site just doesn't go far enough back. ;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Amanda: Much loved ('worthy of love' on the site)

My name was very popular in the 70s and 80s, and there was always at least one other girl with my name in school. Apparently my name is even more popular now, though I hardly run into anyone that shares my name anymore.

My middle name, Lee (usually listed as meaning 'from the pasture'--how amusing is that), has apparently been fairly popular since the 1900s.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Brandi from brandy, characterized by the Dutch as "fiery" or "sweet". I suppose it didn't reach popularity until the 70s or 80s. It may be catching on again. Now, I sometimes come across a few young girls with the name.I don't mind my name being derived from a liquor, but it gets tiresome when people jokingly ask if I like to drink or if that's my real name :eusa_doh: It is nice, though, when people sing the song "Brandy" by Looking Glass.The sailor said, Brandy, you're a fine girl. What a good wife you would be. But my wife, my lover, my lady, is the sea. :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
K.D. Lightner said:
I do not like my first name [Karol]. Double ugh!

I think Karol is a beautiful name. Everyone I've known named Carol was a delightful person. (Haven't known any Karols but you.)

olive bleu

One Too Many
Julia...soft-haired & youthful...awww..:)

popular in the earlier 1900's, losing steam in the mid -century, and becoming popular again in the 80's & 90's. I was actually named after my Great-Aunt Julia, who I never met, but apparently was much adored, so I have always loved it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Caroline; beautiful woman:D
I guess my name was more popular than I thought it was! Growing up, besides princess Caroline, NO ONE had the same name as me...just a whole bunch of sarah's, becky's and jill's:)

Novella

Practically Family
Mallory

I'm "ill omened." A few years ago for Christmas my aunt ordered something for me with my name and it's definition on it. Opening the present was funny, "Oh, wow, uh, thanks......ill omened, huh?" An old baby name book also defined Mallory as having to do with a knight's armor. I like that one much better. My name doesn't register on the charts until the 1980s - thanks Family Ties. All definitions aside, I really like my name - not too out there, not too popular.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Novella said:
I'm "ill omened." A few years ago for Christmas my aunt ordered something for me with my name and it's definition on it. Opening the present was funny, "Oh, wow, uh, thanks......ill omened, huh?" An old baby name book also defined Mallory as having to do with a knight's armor. I like that one much better. My name doesn't register on the charts until the 1980s - thanks Family Ties. All definitions aside, I really like my name - not too out there, not too popular.

The only other Mallory I know of is Mallory of Natural Born Killers "Mickey and Mallory" fame.

Geez, my name is more popular now than it was when I was born. Great. Now when someone yells out my name and I look it is likely to be a child they are calling after. :eusa_doh: :p
Interestingly, the name means true. Makes sense.
My son's name has remianed popular throughout 100 years! :eek:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Names definitely come and go!

My name (Albert = noble, bright) was 16th in 1900, but is now 211th in popularity. When I was born in 1950, it was 76th in popularity.

But my wife always said she married me in spite of my name. I go by Al.

My daughter Elizabeth's name was 6th in 1900, hasn't dropped lower than 23rd, and is now 8th in popularity.

My daughter Alison's name wasn't even on the charts until the 1950's at rank 347, but is now 152nd in popularity.

My wife JoAnn's name didn't appear on the chart until the 1910's, peaked at 77th in the 1930's and 40's, and is now low on the charts at 841st.

Sunny

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
The only other Mallory I know of is Mallory of Natural Born Killers "Mickey and Mallory" fame.

I prefer Captain Keith Mallory of The Guns of Navarone. 'Tis a last name in that case, but still splendid connotations for me. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner