Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How serious is this A2 damage?

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
How serious is this mark on a horsehide Eastman A2? It looks to my untrained eye very minor; it doesn't seem to be rot, but more of a concentrated scuff that took off the leather topcoat. (The jacket's not mine, I'm just considering it!)

Attachments

• s-l1600 (9).jpg
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 116

Stand By

One Too Many
Carefully apply a tiny bit of an appropriately close shade of shoe leather polish using a cotton bud. Sorted!
I do this for my ELC RW B3 on the inner sleeves where the leather gets scuffed on the waist buckles. It’s a close match that nobody else would notice but me. It’s not perfect but that’s just a part of the character of the jacket as it wears.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It looks like a very minor top coat scratch, I would personally not touch it with any sort of shoe polish.
It can work, but i have had two separate leather jackets that had really bad reactions to products i used.
Some polish will react with some top coats and basically melt it away and make it a lot worst.

I have had that happen once with kiwi shoe polish, it completely melted the top coat around the spot i was trying to cover on a cxl jacket, it left me with a much larger much blotchier mark.

The second time it happened was when i tried to cover a very small mark on a Vanson leather jacket using black aniline dye, the dye completely melted the top coat once again and left a bigger mess than was originally there.

I now leave superficial top coat scratches well alone.
If you really want to play with it, make sure you try whatever product in a discrete area first, rather than making a huge mess in a visible spot.

Edit: don't be the guy who does this to his jacket trying to "fix it": (not my jacket, but the worst reaction to products i have seen)

wCUxt96.jpg

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Interesting, Carlos!
And yes, leaving a jacket alone is also a good option as, lest we forget, A2’s were bashed about and scraped galore in and around aircraft in their service. That first scrape is always a bugger, of course, after laying down a whack of cash for a nice jacket - but is just the start of the wear that brings character to a jacket and which we all admire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21