How to age (or destroy?) a CXL FQHH Highwayman (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jejupe, May 5, 2018.

1. Jejupe

Jejupe Practically Family

I think willyto is right when he says that real wear and aging doesn't look as even as my work. When looking at this CAL its evident that for example some of the seams are still black while others are worn through.

However, my goal was not to create a replica of a real 50 year old jacket. Otherwise I would have also rubbed it with oil, road grime, food, beer and all possible bodily fluids and excrements.

2. marmalademan

marmalademan Banned

As it is now it's still mostly black, but with lots of worn bits where the colour is gone. I think were this reversed it would be an improvement. Would make the '''nipples' less prominent too

Jejupe likes this.
  3. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

I think you did a decent job here........Although it's a job I would never do.......

Jejupe likes this.
  4. kronos77

kronos77 One of the Regulars

Did the dryer remove the shiny coating from the leather completely. It is hard to tell from pictures. It looks like it may have dulled it but not removed it like alcohol would.

Jejupe likes this.
  5. Jejupe

I have never experimented alcohol with jackets so I cannot tell the difference. It definately dulled the coating and removed it completely from certain places.

6. Jejupe

[​IMG] Here's an example how real aging of 25 years looks on a BLACK FQHH Highwayman. Maybe I should just sand some more?

[​IMG]

Tusche, 58panheadfan and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  7. Jejupe

Horween steerhide (age unknown)

[​IMG]

58panheadfan and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  8. marmalademan

marmalademan Banned

That's what I'm saying! Yours has too much colour left. Better get back on the job and show that mother who's boss

Jejupe and TREEMAN like this.
  9. Dickie Teenie

Dickie Teenie A-List Customer

I'd stay away from the steel wool, it looks to me like you really got some deep scratches most noticeably the close up pic of the bottom zip area. Maybe with a little time it will mellow out and blend better but I'd go with various grades of Sandpaper with several go overs.

Jejupe likes this.
  10. I can't imagine that this is a 'naturally' aged black CXL jacket of 25 years. Most of the black finish shouldn't be worn off like that unless the owner rode a motorcycle to work each day in a light sand storm. Just doesn't make sense. I would say that was done with an alcohol rub of some sort.
    BTW I have at least one or two inside pockets in each of my Aero jackets. Some with snaps and some without. None show through..but I don't sand or rub my chest against walls. However, I have seen some pockets that show through. I don't know why unless the owner stuffs them full with items all the time.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. Here's an old one sent in to be relined.

img_1281.jpg img_1281.jpg img_1280.jpg

Artificially aged or natural..??

navetsea, Fanch, Tusche and 2 others like this.
  12. Jejupe

Source of that photo and age of the jacket is Aero’s Facebook post.

13. Jejupe

That might lead to better result, but I wouldn’t have patience nor time for such operation. The coating doesn’t actually come off easily.

14. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here's my most worn Cal Leather, showing what I believe to be natural wear. I'm not the original owner, nor am I an expert. The leather on this jacket is supple and soft, unlike my other Cal jackets, which are all stiff. This one has seen some miles.

It's gorgeous, and I love it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll notice:

+ The finish of the leather wears off, leaving the grain beneath intact. Sanding ablates away the grain.
    + The wear is only in the places where the leather is prone to rubbing: the sleeves mainly on the elbows and forearms, the leather around the edges of the pocket zippers, the left shoulder, where the original owner probably carried a bag frequently, and other high points and edges. You can tell the original owner used the zipper on the left pocket much more than the right. Which makes sense if the right hand was on the throttle most of the time.
    + Despite this, the leather probably retains 90% or so of its finish. Where the finish remains, it's even still shiny.

15. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

This isn't Horween, it is Connolly.

16. Jejupe

Again, source of photo and description is Aero’s facebook. Could be Connolly for all I know.

Sorry, should’ve posted my source with photos.

17. Jejupe

Lovely jacket!

Real patina really does look more... umm... real?

Guppy likes this.
  18. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

It would be interesting to see what effects a less harsh method of rubbing would have on leather, such as burnishing it with a buffing wheel and some shoe polish. But I'd test it out on a belt or scrap of leather before ever trying it on a jacket that I cared about.

J, I think yours was fine after the tumbling with the tennis balls, but I would have stopped there.

19. Jejupe

Well, maybe my next experiment re-dying that jacket!

Anyway, this experiment made my day a lot more interesting. Life would be boring without trying out new things and taking small risks!

I hope that this bit of information I could share with my fellow loungers gave also other people some ideas what they could or should not do.

20. Mark Ricketts

Mark Ricketts One of the Regulars

I have never tried it with leather, but one thing that works excellently with wood is to burnish it with raw, unwashed sheep's wool. It takes forever, but the lanolin gives it a special texture and sheen.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.