Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to age (or destroy?) a CXL FQHH Highwayman (pic heavy)

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Question for the experts here. Why is it called "Patina"?Patina should be something added to the original material, sort of a new layer over the leather, or it's like this among the museum quality artifacts makers. It is what happens i.e. with old leather such as bags. Intensively handled over the years or decades they develop a glossy layer due to the fat left by the hands. Here I just see a loss of color, scratches bringing to light the original, natural color of the leather. Just curios.

Well, both are right ... depending on the type of leather (tanning, finish, etc.) developed over time by the natural (but also artificial) wear various surfaces ... open-pored, through-dyed leather will be greasy with time ... tea core leather e.g. develops over time the typical, bright background and with through-dyed leather the patina is different again.

Reactions: Alz

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Nice jacket! I don't own any teacore jacket, but I reckon those create this type of patina a lot quicker than for example CXL. I could never achieve this type of patina naturally, because I rotate between about 15-20 jackets. I have hard time braking in new jackets. Getting patina on any of those would take me 100 years.

Thats true... teacore jackets are fast faders...

Of course you could... if you are Highlander ;)

Highlander.PNG

"You can not die, MacLeod, you have to accept that."

Jejupe

Practically Family
I do work leather too as a hobby. I asked just because in what I do patina is sort of a new layer to the leather. You can see what I mean in this Otzi's axe replica I collaborate, where the natural rawhide color was changed thanks to a chemical product that gave the aged patina look.

Impressive work!

I have lately thinking how could I learn to do some leather work as a hobby. I mean actually making some items, not just altering their appearance.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Nice result Jejupe. I'm not a fan of artificial jacket aging. But I like your result. And I like what your jacket looks like after processing. You are undoubtedly a creative person, in many of us there is the remaining childish curiosity, an attempt to experiment but not everyone is being solved.
With interest I will look at your further efforts.

Jejupe

Practically Family
Nice result Jejupe. I'm not a fan of artificial jacket aging. But I like your result. And I like what your jacket looks like after processing. You are undoubtedly a creative person, in many of us there is the remaining childish curiosity, an attempt to experiment but not everyone is being solved.
With interest I will look at your further efforts.

I am not 100 % sure if you called me childish or creative, but either way, I will take it as a compliment! Thanks! [emoji1]

MET

A-List Customer
You are a brave man @Jejupe I could not even think of making the half of what you have done to any of my jackets. I like them when they are new and in pristine condition.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
I am not 100 % sure if you called me childish or creative, but either way, I will take it as a compliment! Thanks! [emoji1]

Sorry for misunderstanding ))) English is not my native language, as well as yours))) I often use it for job and there I have to talk not about creativity and about jackets but most about technic ...flaps, engines, fuel etс.)))
I wanted to say that you are a creative person. And I like when people go to an experiment, trying (and not afraid!) to change something.

Jejupe

Practically Family
Sorry for misunderstanding ))) English is not my native language, as well as yours))) I often use it for job and there I have to talk not about creativity and about jackets but most about technic ...flaps, engines, fuel etс.)))
I wanted to say that you are a creative person. And I like when people go to an experiment, trying (and not afraid!) to change something.

Thanks. I hazard a guess by your use of ))) as smileys that you might be a russian...?

Jejupe

Practically Family
It turned out well in the end :)
But more importantly, are you happy with the results overall?

Thanks for asking! I am happy with the way the jacket looks, but not how it feels to touch. I am not a fan of nubuck or suede jackets and this jacket feels now a lot like nubuck. I am trying to figure out if there was a way to polish the surface so it would be more shiny like the jackets we have seen in this thread with real patina.

Last edited:

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for asking! I am happy with the way the jacket looks, but now how it feels to touch. I am not a fan of nubuck or suede jackets and this jacket feels now a lot like nubuck. I am trying to figure out if there was a way to polish the surface so it would be more shiny like the jackets we have seen in this thread with real patina.

I would believe the scrubbing pad you used was a bit too rough

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Or maybe try a sandpaper? Something really fine grained, like 1200 p. I’ve done that with rather nice color effects on a brief case that I just finished with.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings Jejupe:
Your jacket looks outstanding! If i saw someone wearing it, i would think it many years old and well worn. Short of running up to it with a magnifying glass and looking for evidence, i would never guess it was new.
Good go!! Great experiment and posts!
Now, about those other 15-20....let’s see em!
Be well. Bowen

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with Fanch. I'm not at all a fan of pre-distressing, but to each his own. If I saw this jacket on the street I'd suspect it was artificially distressed by the attention given to the edgings, particularly around the collar and down the back. Every distressed jacket I've ever seen had that characteristic, and I've noticed that naturally distressed jackets usually don't, or at least not in exactly that way. You did a great job on the sleeves, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points