Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean the inside (wool) lining of a leather jacket?

sshack

A-List Customer
Hi, everyone. One of the perks of FQHH (at least with Aero, I think) is the easy maintenance. Basically, I read you don't have to do any! Done.

But... what do you do to clean the inside? I'm sure over time the inner lining will start to collect sweat/odors, etc. So... how do you clean it? My lining is a wool tartan.

Thanks for any advice!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, up here, overheating in FQHH isn't that much of a problem. But, if I was looking to get rid of odours, beyond simply hanging it up in the garage and letting it air, I suppose you could use something like Febreze - you spray it down, it'll lift any odours and avoid the risk of shrinking the lining.

Foster

One of the Regulars
Wool tartan is usually a woven twill, which has some resistance to shrinkage if woven tightly. Knit wool is the culprit responsible for most of the fears of washing woolen garments - the knit structure is less dimensionally stable and can more easily shrink.

In my experience, wool does tend to release odors (odours to our UK based Loungers) well when exposed to sunlight and air. As Sloan mentioned, Febreze can aid with this.

Personally, I have washed woolen garments without problem on several occasions. If there is slight shrinkage in tightly woven wool, a good ironing tends to alleviate that to some degree.

Willybob

A-List Customer
Yet another cleaning question. What soap to use. I wish to clean the cotton drill liner of my Aero Californian, to rinse out any accumulated sweat, body oil residue and stuff, from the sleeves and pits. I've turned it inside out and plan to spray it with a liquid cleaner then rinse in the shower and let dry outside in the shade. (100 deg here today). Can anyone recommend an appropriate soap to use? Woolite?, dish soap?, Tide? I'm going to avoid the hide as best as I can.

Willybob

A-List Customer
IMG_1551.JPG

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
I have just tried some soap from the Isle of Harris which works very well as a shampoo so should be fine for a wool lining.Smells fantastic too.A natural fit if you have a Harris tweed lining.

Attachments

• Isle Of Harris Soap Company.jpeg
    Isle Of Harris Soap Company.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 906

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails