Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get pale, luminous skin?

gingermore

Familiar Face
Everyday Minerals

I've mentioned this in the Mineral makeup thread but I thought I'd mention it again here. I have fairly pale skin with a red/pink undertone. This is what I wear for my vintage look when I'm performing.

I swear by Everyday Minerals.

"mint" concealer on red areas
"fair" foundation (intensive)
"sunlight" concealer for under eyes"
"intensive fair" concealer for zits
"star to finish fair" finishing powder
"all smiles" pressed powder blush (this is a nice pinky-peach colour)

I love the blushes as they're so natural looking. Sometimes I'll use the "light pink" blush as a face colour as in creates a nice creamy finish with a touch of sparkle.

I wear lots of layers of foundation and either the blush or finishing powder and I find it doesn't look cakey.

Madalene Laurae

New in Town
I guess I was never taught how to do makeup or anything like that, but how do you tell what kind of undertone you have in your skin.

My skin is just kind of "blah" I have a lot of really light freckles (not to mention a rectangular mole that some one once mistook for chocolate that I have left spilled on my face!), so my skin tone is really uneven, I still have a little trouble with acne as well, even at 25.

I've tried being really vigilant about keeping my face out of the sun wearing baseball caps (frumpy) or wearing high SPF sunscreen (greasy), but I always get caught outside in direct sun sometimes. (my arms are also freckly but I am Scottish pale everywhere else)

So, after all that, how do you tell what undertone you have? Also, are there any good smelling body lotions with high SPF I could put on my arms to keep them from getting more freckled?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pale Sisters, Unite!

I have the opposite problem of undertone color, mine seems to be kind of blue-green! So the green concealer, looks very green on me. I use a yellowish one to cancel out red, it works great.

Gingermore, performing what?

And Madalene Laurae, I find that the best way is just to try different color concealers till you hit the right one. I never would have thought I was green!

I also burn a lot, and freckle a lot, and have oily, acne-prone skin (at 48 years old!), and I have found a great sunscreen - Neutrogena's Age Shield Face, SPF 70, and very dry and non-greasy feeling! I am pretty sure they will sell it there? And if not, on-line shopping...
I use a number 50 baby sunblock (generic) everywhere else (for monetary reasons) but I am finding it does not work as well.

DollyGirl

New in Town
Hi everyone, I am a newbie!

Hi!
I am oily faced and acne prone. I hate retouching foundation or powder- just like to have a matte face all day long. During the summer, I use Cosmedicine Medi-Matte, which has SPF 20 in it. It keeps my skin matte all day long- no oil in sight (I am a student who works at a bar part-time: my face will definitely be an oil-slick by the end of a shift). Expensive, but a little goes a long way. Also, Eucerin and Aveeno make great SPF 30 oil-free moisturizers. I hear Clinique has a SPF 50 oil-free sunscreen for face and body.
I am also very pale, having problems finding foundations. I love Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation in Rose Ivory, but this color became to dark for my skin (I have become paler than usual since being on Minocylcin for acne- which causes me to have a slight grey complexion and to slather on the sunscreen). I started using Makeup Forever Matte Liquid Foundation and Matte Powder Foundation on top of that. Now that my acne is gone, as well as pink pigmentation, I am thinking about just using the powder foundation.
I love Mac’s Studio Fix and mineral makeup, but am wondering if there are any tricks to keeping this powder off of clothes and the boys. And not to start another Dita thread, but what foundation and/or powder does she use- her skin looks so gorgeous.
I also purchased samples from Lilly Lolo- I will let you guys know how they hold up after a night on the town.

swinggal

One Too Many
Well, if you go to Asia (which I have 6 times) you will find that almost every moisturiser, skin product, shower gel and soap has a lightener in it. Even the mens products. I even found a few different brands of 'nipple lightening' cream!! In Thailand last year I bought many of these facial products to take home with me to use on my own skin.

It's quite amazing to see the beauty section in Thai department stores. All the moisturising products we use ourselves like Olay, Nivea, Garnier, Shiseido, Lancome, Loreal - all contain whitening agents and the sunscreen is 50+. Looking as 'western' as possible seems to be the trend in Asian and Middle Eastern countries. They don't want darker skin - they want to keep in as light a possible. Sad but true. All the TV ads have Eurasion featured people with really light skin. Literally hundreds of products to choose from.

So yes, you can by everyday products to lighten your skin subtley - over time. I have been using the 'Nivea UV whitening creme' on freckles on my hands and face. It has worked and has evened out my skin. here are some examples:

wr1_l.jpg

korea427.jpg

Lo-2.jpg

frontpic_whitening.jpg

img_8676.jpg

01461181401.jpg

artdecochic

New in Town
SarahLouise said:
As mentioned by numerous other girls, I definitely would not bleach your skin or use any other harsh chemicals as the after effects would not be worth it. The problem with wearing lighter foundation/powder is that your neck would be a different colour! I can see see why the porcelain look appeals to many but I would honestly try to accept what skin tone you have and just work with it, not against it. Quite obvious and easier said then done, I realise, but just my opinion.

My boyfriend loves pale skin :eek:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I'm really struggling in this humid hot weather here in the UK to keep a matt finish on my face I use a balancing light foundation and regular translucent powder over the top. I'd really like to find a REALLY pale fine powder to do the trick.

What would you gals recommend?

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
tell me about it, i'v got the same problem... it's super hot and humid here and if you'll step outside for just a sec, you'r make-up will literally melt :eek: what i like to use is mac's prep+prime, it's a do it all skin prtecting moisturiser-primer-sun block50 !!! it really helps keep makeup in place and it's oil-free. it's a bit pricy, but a little goes a long way in this case.

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
any time darhling ;) i'm a make-up artist, so i get to try a lot of new products, also my sister in law is working for a european cosmetics company, so i get a lot of free stuff from her too...she recently gave me a really good face powder that gives a beautiful matt finish to my skin without drying it out, but i can't seem to find it anywhere :rolleyes: (already tried sephora...)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
glamour-girl said:
she recently gave me a really good face powder that gives a beautiful matt finish to my skin without drying it out, but i can't seem to find it anywhere :rolleyes: (already tried sephora...)

Ooh do tell, what's it called? You have terrific skin Ggirl just the look that I'd love to get.

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
thanks :eek: actually i used to hate being so pale. in highscool everybody called me Morticia (Addams Family :rolleyes: ) once i even tried to dye my hair blond so i wouldn't look like her, turned out orange though. i guess with time i'v just learned to accept the way i look, it's much cheaper than going to the tanning salon three times a week lol and now i completely forgot what did i start writing in the first place...[huh] the powder, right. it's by a company called giordani and it has spf 10 it also came with a golden powder brush, but the compact already had a puff in it.

Anneloes

New in Town
I have always had very pale skin (although with yellow undertones and couperose on my cheeks), and absolutely love it, really. When I was growing up my nickname in the village I lived in actually was 'the girl with the porcelain face' lol
But I've spent the past month in Greece for studies, and even though I wore SPF40 all over my body every day, I still got a pretty bad tan on my arms and chest.. I suppose there is no way to get rid of this besides just keep applying sunscreen and staying out of the sun? Since I don't think it's that practical to wrap my whole body in yoghurt or lemon juice, as you can do with your face ;) My face never really tans, or at least not as much as the rest of my body, so it looks pretty strange having a pale face and a tanned upper body too..

PS

A-List Customer
I've been using a witch hazel and aspirin toner lately and my skin tone has been very even and bright. It also helps keep me matte longer during the day.

Blondie

Practically Family
glamour-girl said:
any time darhling ;) i'm a make-up artist, so i get to try a lot of new products, also my sister in law is working for a european cosmetics company, so i get a lot of free stuff from her too...she recently gave me a really good face powder that gives a beautiful matt finish to my skin without drying it out, but i can't seem to find it anywhere :rolleyes: (already tried sephora...)

Is this it ?

http://www.atlanticwharf-cardiff.co...old/sublime-pressed-powder-spf-10/p_1296.html

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
swinggal said:
It's quite amazing to see the beauty section in Thai department stores. All the moisturising products we use ourselves like Olay, Nivea, Garnier, Shiseido, Lancome, Loreal - all contain whitening agents and the sunscreen is 50+. Looking as 'western' as possible seems to be the trend in Asian and Middle Eastern countries. They don't want darker skin - they want to keep in as light a possible. Sad but true.

Not to be a drag but just something I wanted to point out: If you think that's sad, then think about some of these "westerners" who spend hours on end baking in the sun, trying so hard to get that golden brown tan color that latinas and certain asian/middle eastern people have...

I just have to comment on this. Asians are not trying to look "western." Pale/light skin is just something beautiful in Asia. Many beautiful Asian celebrities are light skinned and just like here in the US, media plays a role in how women want to look. As for Taiwan and other countries like the Philippines (where I am from), light skin just looks cleaner and more pure to us. It's not because we want to be "white" as much as the "western" people. If anything, we're trying to be as light as the Chinese or Japanese and Koreans (the majority, of which, is lighter than most westerners anyway!). I, myself have very light skin already (they used to call me siopao--a pale white steamed chinese bread popular in the Filipino culture--when I was a child) but I must admit, I'd like lighter skin but because I think it looks beautiful not because I want to look like a white chick. I mean take a geisha for example. Her white face and cherry lips represents a highly artificial feminine ideal--a fantasy figure whose allure is built on mystery. It's just something beautiful. Not western...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24