Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get pale, luminous skin?

noirapple

New in Town
I have to agree with Vix Vixan.

I'm korean and the traditional beauty Ideal in Asia has been White Skin with red lips since...well forever. It's reappy funny to think that we, asians, are lightening our skins to be like caucasian. that's the funnieset thing i ever heard actually. women in asian is just following the ideal beauty cultured and brewed by asia.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Well you must both remember, that unless we have been exposed to asian cultures, we as outsiders do not know -why- a certain ideal is there.

And its quite easy to jump to conclusions as to why....without that insider info.

One of the reasons why its great that there are folks here from all over, and from so many different countries and cultures. We get to find out things that are outside of our normal zones.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Please excuse me if this was mentioned already- I haven't gone through and read all the responses! :eek:
I went in to Benefit yesterday and they used a new product on me- I'm really tempted to go back and get it! It's called Powderflage
They used it under my eyes and it brightened them up and gave a luminous type of look. Really cool! But I'm pretty much a fan of anything Benefit already.

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
Well you must both remember, that unless we have been exposed to asian cultures, we as outsiders do not know -why- a certain ideal is there.

And its quite easy to jump to conclusions as to why....without that insider info.

One of the reasons why its great that there are folks here from all over, and from so many different countries and cultures. We get to find out things that are outside of our normal zones.

And that is why I had to comment on that remark. To let the "outsiders" in on why Asian people want light skin. Its no different from all the ladies posting on this thread. The only point I was making is that Asians are not doing it to look caucasian. I'm sure swinggal meant no harm but like you said. She jumped to conclusions. I just didn't like the part where she said its "Sad but true" because it isn't. Again, that's why I made that comment to let you guys know that it isn't true and WHY it isn't true. It wasnt to make a cheap stab at her remark. Just an FYI sort of thing. I think your last 2 sentences shouldn't just be toward me and noirapple because we are not the ones who made a "sad but true" comment that was incorrect but rather let people in on some of that inside info.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vix Vixen said:
And that is why I had to comment on that remark. To let the "outsiders" in on why Asian people want light skin. Its no different from all the ladies posting on this thread. The only point I was making is that Asians are not doing it to look caucasian. I'm sure swinggal meant no harm but like you said. She jumped to conclusions. I just didn't like the part where she said its "Sad but true" because it isn't. Again, that's why I made that comment to let you guys know that it isn't true and WHY it isn't true. It wasnt to make a cheap stab at her remark. Just an FYI sort of thing. I think your last 2 sentences shouldn't just be toward me and noirapple because we are not the ones who made an assumption but rather let people in on some of that inside info.

I think you are taking what I said to be some sort of scolding, when it was not at all that.

My last two sentences were saying that the ability to find things out is one of the good things about the lounge....and had nothing to do with anyone in particular. Merely a commentary on the fact that its nice to have the ability to find out the 'why's of things from the source, because our membership is varied.

No more, no less.

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Lauren said:
Please excuse me if this was mentioned already- I haven't gone through and read all the responses! :eek:
I went in to Benefit yesterday and they used a new product on me- I'm really tempted to go back and get it! It's called Powderflage
They used it under my eyes and it brightened them up and gave a luminous type of look. Really cool! But I'm pretty much a fan of anything Benefit already.

Thanks lauren! I'll have to try some of that. I haven't been getting much sleep...:(

Smuterella

One Too Many
Vix Vixen said:
And that is why I had to comment on that remark. To let the "outsiders" in on why Asian people want light skin. Its no different from all the ladies posting on this thread. The only point I was making is that Asians are not doing it to look caucasian. I'm sure swinggal meant no harm but like you said. She jumped to conclusions. I just didn't like the part where she said its "Sad but true" because it isn't. Again, that's why I made that comment to let you guys know that it isn't true and WHY it isn't true. It wasnt to make a cheap stab at her remark. Just an FYI sort of thing. I think your last 2 sentences shouldn't just be toward me and noirapple because we are not the ones who made a "sad but true" comment that was incorrect but rather let people in on some of that inside info.

is that really true?

I recall Asian girls in the 80's having eyelid suregery to get "caucasian" creases

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think the fact we were discussing -pale- skin as being an asian beauty ideal not related to wishing to look more caucasian is one thing and completely different and separate from an eyelid surgery motivational discussion.

I do not think you can combine the two and say 'well if people are doing surgery for the motive of having more caucasian eyelids, then anything else they do, is also for that reason.'

And I haven't really heard much about that since the 80's anyhow....I suspect the idea is where a lot of things from the 80's are....... ;)

Smuterella

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I think the fact we were discussing -pale- skin as being an asian beauty ideal not related to wishing to look more caucasian is one thing and completely different and separate from an eyelid surgery motivational discussion.

I do not think you can combine the two and say 'well if people are doing surgery for the motive of having more caucasian eyelids, then anything else they do, is also for that reason.'

And I haven't really heard much about that since the 80's anyhow....I suspect the idea is where a lot of things from the 80's are....... ;)

it was just a thought

these things interest me, as one with an (un)healthy interest in Asian girls

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Please read, Ladies.

Miss Neecerie said:
I think you are taking what I said to be some sort of scolding, when it was not at all that.

My last two sentences were saying that the ability to find things out is one of the good things about the lounge....and had nothing to do with anyone in particular. Merely a commentary on the fact that its nice to have the ability to find out the 'why's of things from the source, because our membership is varied.

No more, no less.

I apologize, Miss Neecerie and to the FL Ladies, if I sounded rude in any way. I did actually take it as a scolding:eusa_doh:lol. I admit, I felt a bit mad that my comment had a response like "Well you must both remember, that unless we have been exposed to asian cultures, we as outsiders do not know -why- a certain ideal is there." The internet is 2 dimensional. One person writes it one way but the other may read it in a TOTALLY different tone. Anyway, i just felt like an oddball that my FYI comment had an immediate response and an ignorant assumption like swinggal's (no offense swinggal) about asians trying to look western (and saying it's "sad but true") had none (or in my perspective, no scolding lol ). A person who wants lighter skin doesn't automatically mean they want to look more "western"...(Read my original post here for my explanation)...

As far as the eyelid thing:eek:fftopic: ...that's another thing I'd like to comment on. I know what you're talking about but many Asian people have that crease (Myself, for example:D ). That crease, again, does not only belong to the caucasians...lol. Its kinda like a nose (kinda like a whole face, is more like it. But I'll use the nose as an example). Some people were born with a big nose and some small/flat/sharp/etc... Some people go to great lengths such as surgery to get the face they want because they are simply unhappy with their's and are inspired by another's. Unfortunately, just like a girl with a big nose wanting to get a nose job, an Asian person -who is also capable of being unhappy with their appearance-, will get that eyelid surgery. It's not a "I want to look caucasian" thing. It's an "I'm unhappy with the way I look, I wish I looked like this" thing. I mean, you gotta admit. That eyelid crease is pretty useful when putting on makeup. Imagine yourself trying to put liquid eyeliner on your top lid but your skin overlaps it when you open your eyes. I bet it's pretty frustrating not being able to do those neat makeup tricks that accentuate certain parts of the face. Some girls just can't accept that about themselves...hence the surgery.

Isn't this what this whole post is about? A feature we don't have? I mean, c'mon, this thread is titled "How to get pale, luminous skin" A person who already had that wouldn't have posted that? I hope you ladies don't think my comment is biased. The person who started this thread is no different from me or from the next lady to the next. BOTTOM LINE - Pale/light skin: It's nothing to do with race but more to do with what we women think is beautiful.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting Vix Vixen. I've heard that western ideal theory before, and didn't question it (it was in the context of bleaching skin products in India). I can see now that wanting to be lighter or darker obviously doesn't have to have anything to do with race, just a beauty ideal.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
For myself, my problem with my skin is, it is very pale, it's often too light for regular drugstore lines of foundation... "disgustingly light" is how some dear friends have put it... but it's also very, very PINK. This is not an ivory tone at all.

When it has color, that color is red. In sun, I look like a tomato.

What are some good color-correctors that are inexpensive and convincing? Usually I end up using bronzer instead, to at least give me some golden tones to fight the pink, but then I end up looking a good bit darker than my natural hue. And what I like least of all is a face that does not match the rest of my exposed skin in color.

Tallulah

New in Town
I have rosacea and sensitive skin and I have been very very pleased to find products by Eucerin in their Redness Relief line. They have a daily moisturizer with SPF 15 that has a lightening effect as well as a believable cosmetic lightening due to it's light green cast. Their face wash also has licorice which is lightening to the skin. This stuff is available at Walgreens or CVS here in the states and there are also some online coupons available (or at least there were). I also take fish oil and a healthy dose of vitamin A everyday...that has made a nice difference in my skin as well.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
There is a store by me that carries LeClerc, they are as nice as they look on the website. Pink toned ladies can use blue or green powders (I want LeClerc Parme or Lilium though) and dark skin tones (with yellow) can try the mauve (orchidee) tones.

However, I used to use a Guerlain powder, it was Meteorites, but rather than all shades it was just the light violet color. The color name was something like Violetta di Parma, and it gave a nice luminous color for night.

Anyway, I have been using the Body Shop's Moisture White serum for a while now, and it has lightened my skin a bit. It contains licorice root and vitamin C and it is supposed to minimize the melanocytes in your skin. I definitely have less freckles and a lighter tone than before, I am now too pale for most foundations and am now more pink than golden in skin tone.

I've also used/tried whitening lines from Shishedo (the mask stung but it really lightens!!!), Chanel (their Sublimage is nice but $$$$), and Christian Dior. I don't know about Shishedo and Dior, but Chanel is botanical only as is Body Shop, so you don't have to worry about dangerous chemicals like the one in Fair and White.

Spaugs

New in Town
Ok...what if your face is already paper white, but the rest of your upper body still has a (very light) olive complexion? The difference in color is small, but frustrating. I just can't seem to lose the olive tone in the rest of my skin. I am sooooooooo proud to finally have a white face, but I keep wearing darker foundation so my face matches the rest of me!:mad: Is there a skin lightener NOT meant for just your face, or can any lightener be used on the rest of your skin?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Spaugs said:
Ok...what if your face is already paper white, but the rest of your upper body still has a (very light) olive complexion? The difference in color is small, but frustrating. I just can't seem to lose the olive tone in the rest of my skin. I am sooooooooo proud to finally have a white face, but I keep wearing darker foundation so my face matches the rest of me!:mad: Is there a skin lightener NOT meant for just your face, or can any lightener be used on the rest of your skin?

Well, since your facial skin is much more delicate then, say, the skin on your arms, I think you'd be okay using a lightener on your body.
Can I ask what type of lightener you use? I'm in love with the idea of pale-ing down a bit (I'm Italian so I've got that olive tint as well) but I'm kind of leery of whiteners due to health issues.

jayem

A-List Customer
Kind of off-topic, but I remember reading that women in the Victorian Era would drink vinegar to get that pale, waxy look. I can't imagine that would be very tasty...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24