Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to incorporate high-tech items into your vintage lifestyle?

vintage68

Practically Family
I have an iPhone myself, and find that it slips unobtrusively into a shirt or jacket pocket. My one concession to high-tech.

The simpler the better when it comes to the vintage lifestyle IMHO.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
PrettySquareGal said:
Yes, I am letting go of my grip on my obstinate refusal to get one because it's too newfangled.

I'm getting an iphone.

A life-changing device. I am fussing with mine all the time. It's a lifesaver on airplanes.

Nice to see you, by the way. :)

Pip

A-List Customer
Won't be disappointed, they are a true marvel. I love mine.

Absolutely indisposable when it comes to navigating cities. The map function is brilliant.

Its one of the few super modern things I possess.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
I'm too much of a techie-lover to give up my electronics. The iphone has also changed my life in a positive way. It's never been so easy to answer clients e-mails from Disneyland lol :D

H.Johnson

One Too Many
You can't. Either you're 'vintage' or you're not. Stand firm.

Fill in your travel time by memorising poetry. Learn to navigate by map and compass. Communicate with people on your terms, not other people's.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I really think it will help me not feel chained to my desk so that I can answer business emails from, say, the beach (even in winter, best time to walk there). Also, as a yard saler, that GPS will really be a savior- I've gotten lost too many times while using printed directions from the internets.I'll be getting it sometime in the next few weeks- trying to time it with the billing cycle of my current phone plan so I don't double pay. I'm very excited.

DerMann

Practically Family
One of my friends has the right idea. He has no cell phone and uses this fact to "decrease accountability."

Humour aside, being on call basically 24/7 is rather a gruesome idea. The idea that someone can reach you while you're at lunch or even in the bathroom is frightening.

If I can convince my mom, I want to get rid of my cell phone, get a dorm with a phoneline and get a Western Electric 302 or 500. No answering machine either. Bally hate voicemail, blight of audible communication if you ask me.

Although I wouldn't mind an iPod touch, they're just so much fun.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This on call 24-7 thing...is a myth.

The person holding the phone can indeed still chose to operate the -off- switch...or decline to answer the phone.

So just like answering one's home phone, it's the -picking up- of the call that makes it on your terms, and not the caller's terms.

Mistaking lack of willpower to -not answer- with being forced to answer......

(exceptions include jobs where you are -paid- to answer...then you are working, and working has -never included- a guarantee of personal will)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
In days of old, there was a concept of being "not in." It didn't mean you literally weren't in the house, it just meant you weren't receiving visitors. It's time to revive that idea with regard to the phone.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
This on call 24-7 thing...is a myth.

The person holding the phone can indeed still chose to operate the -off- switch...or decline to answer the phone.

So just like answering one's home phone, it's the -picking up- of the call that makes it on your terms, and not the caller's terms.

Mistaking lack of willpower to -not answer- with being forced to answer......

(exceptions include jobs where you are -paid- to answer...then you are working, and working has -never included- a guarantee of personal will)

Exactly, and once I realized this I made my decision. Also, the way it is now, I am chained to my desktop. Soon I will have more freedom to not be chained so that I am available during business hours.

warbird

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
Exactly, and once I realized this I made my decision. Also, the way it is now, I am chained to my desktop. Soon I will have more freedom to not be chained so that I am available during business hours.

I Agree with Neecerie, came to the same conclusion. I have a blackberry, that is actually for work. It works anywhere in the world.

I am dragged kicking and screaming into any new tech, but having thihgs such as downloadable music, GPS and email really make things easier for me especially traveling a much as I do.

PSG it is nice to see you post again. I hope all has been well for you. Best of luck in your coming yearly frigid condition.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
PSG it is nice to see you post again. I hope all has been well for you. Best of luck in your coming yearly frigid condition.

Thank you, warbird. I have been very well and the house is as sealed as it can be. I'm ready. :)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Paisley said:
In days of old, there was a concept of being "not in." It didn't mean you literally weren't in the house, it just meant you weren't receiving visitors. It's time to revive that idea with regard to the phone.

How much would it confuse people today if your cell phone message told people "you were not in?" It would be so cool....

Anywhoo...I have a blackberry and am drooling over every Iphone I see. When the cell phone contract is up next year, I'm plunking down my money for one.

I love the feedback everyone has given here about how great the device (more than a phone) is to have and own.

Josephine

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
How much would it confuse people today if your cell phone message told people "you were not in?"

You inspired me to changed mine to say that, and if they would leave a message, I'd get back to them when I returned. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany