Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Look Good in Photos

Sunny

One Too Many
Thanks for the links, Paisley!

As far as airbrushing goes... Want to see what a professional can do?

http://www.iwanexstudio.com/

Click on "Portfolio" at the top, and then click on any of the little thumbnails at the bottom. Then you can mouse over the image to see the "before" version.

I don't feel bad about not having satin-smooth skin now!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Does everyone agree with the 45 degree angle thing? I don't... I think it makes me look huge. I'm best straight on or totally to the side. Perhaps because I think my waist is my best assett, and if I'm turned slightly my waist looks larger and I don't see much contrast from my other *larger* body parts, lol. But alas, this is always the "instinctive" pose and I'm trying to break the habit.

Nikki

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Does everyone agree with the 45 degree angle thing? I don't... I think it makes me look huge. I'm best straight on or totally to the side. Perhaps because I think my waist is my best assett, and if I'm turned slightly my waist looks larger and I don't see much contrast from my other *larger* body parts, lol. But alas, this is always the "instinctive" pose and I'm trying to break the habit.

Nikki

For me the 45 degree thing works depending on what I'm wearing. If what I'm wearing is form fitting, from straight on my hips look disproportional to my chest because, well, my chest goes forward and it's hard to see the size and definition of it from a straight-on photo. I think I'm best from slightly above or from my side.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Women with a very narrow build don't tend to look good at a 45 degree angle. It makes their body look even smaller and their head look larger. A little like a l0lly-pop.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I knew I remembered an article about this in one of my magazines! Here's some suggestions on how to look great in photos from 'InStyle' ....
The perfect pose;
face; To avoid a double chin, straighten your neck, relax your shoulders, then push your chin out and downward.
Arms; Resting arms against your torso can make them look flabby. Instead angle them a bit away and back from your body.
Hips; Worried about wide hips? Place your hands on your mid-thighs to camaflouge big curves and pull the eye downward.
Feet; Position one foot in front of the other and turn feet slightly away from the camera to narrow and lengthen image.

Makeup, Hair & Lighting
Use lip and eyebrow pencils to give definition to your eyes and mouth, which can get lost in brightly lit photos. Traditional updos can look sever on film; instead try hairstyles that are half up (to show off your face) and half down (to soften your features). For outdoor shots; Sunlight that hits your face straight on is the most flattering. In low light move away from light sources, which don't mix well with the hot brightness of a camera flash.
Glasses
To prevent lens glare, tilt your head down slightly (much the way you would when posing to avoid a double chin).
Smile
Do as the models do and place the tip of your tongue behind your top front teeth as you smile; this helps relax facial muscles and avoid wrinkling. (And it also helps lift the lower part of your face so you don't get a double chin.)
Your best side
Ready for your close up? Actresses master their most flattering angles through practice, and you can too. Put your digital camera and bathroom mirror to good use by taking pictures of yourself in a variety of poses (instead of looking through the viewfinder, lower the camera to the level of your lower neck/upper chest and aim it upward). Then download your pics to a computer for close-up analysis...or for sharing with opinionated pals.

Shearer

Practically Family
Well, everyone's going to take some bad photos, right?

badbride.jpg

Just hope they don't end up at bighappyfunhouse fifty years from now lol

Amelie

A-List Customer
Sunny said:

Click on "Portfolio" at the top, and then click on any of the little thumbnails at the bottom. Then you can mouse over the image to see the "before" version.

I was already a bit concious about what photoshop could do, but this makes me feel SOOO good! thanks :D

Rosie

One Too Many
Sunny said:

Thank you SOOOOO much for posting that. Many of the teenage girls in my programs have body issues. This will be the first activitiy for tomorrow. Before and after shots of celebs. Thanks!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:

But Halle Berry still looks perfect!!! :eusa_doh: Why do I even go on living??? lol

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Sunny said:

In my eyes, all but one look decidedly better in the "before" pictures. I'm serious, not being ideological.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
In my eyes, all but one look decidedly better in the "before" pictures. I'm serious, not being ideological.

I agree. They all look so airbrushed, there's no character left. I could hardly recognize Cate Blanchett because her strong features have been wiped out. The exception is Eva Longoria who looks really unhealthy in the 'before' pic in my opinion, like she has been taking the dieting a bit too far.

Ah, isn't it wonderful how we can say just about anything about the celebs without it having any consequences?? lol

Sunny

One Too Many
Amelie said:
I was already a bit concious about what photoshop could do, but this makes me feel SOOO good! thanks

Me, too! I knew it could do "a lot," but I'd never really seen what that means. I'm so visual anyway. It's really terrific to see that.

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:

I agree, too. Especially Halle Berry - I liked the 'before' picture much better.

Anyone notice how the artist lighted the skin tone of just about everybody? I guess 'pale' really is 'it' this season. [huh]

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Adelaidey said:
But Halle Berry still looks perfect!!! :eusa_doh: Why do I even go on living??? lol

Yes... but Beyonce is showing some "muffin top"... there is some justice! Wow! I guess I really had no idea just how much photoshop can do. This site is wonderful!

Honey Doll

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
I noticed all the same things;

Beyonce's muffin top was spectacular, and her bum wasn't in such great shape in non-magazine life.

Eva looked so much better after; they actually fattened her up!

And everyone was so pale they looked half dead. But pale is vintage, right? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn