Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Pull Off A Fedora/Trilby Dress Hat

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Wonderful quote. I teach college and am constantly assaulted with all of the cretinous modern ideas on education, usually from administrators who've never taught a class. How I wish I could give them one year of the Jesuits.
Well said. Nearly all of the best teachers I had were Jesuits. They encouraged thought, settled for nothing less than your best, and educated with a wonderful combination of pressure and encouragement. One of my favorite stories, although I do not have the specifics of time and place is of the Jesuit who taught some Intro to Philosophy Course. Many of the students were taking the course because it was a core requirement and had no interest in learning about philosophy. Moreover, they viewed education as some sort of "test-passing" exercise as opposed to an opportunity to learn something, to truly become educated. As such, when the Jesuit would discuss the forms of Plato or the Metaphysics of Aristotle, his students displayed nothing but boredom. They believed that what was important were the dates of Platos's life, the facts of Aristotle's birth and death, a "list" of their "works"--certainly not their thought, or how their philosophy might make them as students better human beings, etc. Like so many, these students "studied to take a test" and memorized the "facts." They wanted good grades, not necessarily and education. How surprised they were when the Jesuit, at the time of their first test, wrote one question, one word, on the blackboard: νοῦς, "nous", the Greek word for "mind" and asked them to define it. A test not at all what they had expected. It did however force them to understand what education was about, why philosophy mattered--and that they were not going to get an easy A by knowing where Plato was born. AMDG.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Well said. Nearly all of the best teachers I had were Jesuits. They encouraged thought, settled for nothing less than your best, and educated with a wonderful combination of pressure and encouragement. One of my favorite stories, although I do not have the specifics of time and place is of the Jesuit who taught some Intro to Philosophy Course. Many of the students were taking the course because it was a core requirement and had no interest in learning about philosophy. Moreover, they viewed education as some sort of "test-passing" exercise as opposed to an opportunity to learn something, to truly become educated. As such, when the Jesuit would discuss the forms of Plato or the Metaphysics of Aristotle, his students displayed nothing but boredom. They believed that what was important were the dates of Platos's life, the facts of Aristotle's birth and death, a "list" of their "works"--certainly not their thought, or how their philosophy might make them as students better human beings, etc. Like so many, these students "studied to take a test" and memorized the "facts." They wanted good grades, not necessarily and education. How surprised they were when the Jesuit, at the time of their first test, wrote one question, one word, on the blackboard: νοῦς, "nous", the Greek word for "mind" and asked them to define it. A test not at all what they had expected. It did however force them to understand what education was about, why philosophy mattered--and that they were not going to get an easy A by knowing where Plato was born. AMDG.
Such a fantastic post in so many ways
Being an educator I very much appreciate this

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Just wait until you get an unsolicited compliment. I was standing around in town the other day waiting for my wife (nothing new there) and a complete stranger came up to me and asked me where he could get a hat the same as the Akubra Stylemaster I was wearing. One of those removes any doubts you might have about how you look.
When I went to England I saw a lot of men - younger and older wearing Fedoras and Trilbys. They looked fantastic. I can't wait to get back to the UK! Everyone was so damn polite there! :)

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Well, if you're looking for polite, Detroit was the last place you should have settled! :D

I mean they have a statue of a fist downtown, fergoshakes!.
Yeah, I know. That (Joe Louis) first was very controversial when it was put up in the 90s. I think it was the 90s. And, frankly, I have never been a fan of that. Lots of good people here though :)

Just wait until you get an unsolicited compliment. I was standing around in town the other day waiting for my wife (nothing new there) and a complete stranger came up to me and asked me where he could get a hat the same as the Akubra Stylemaster I was wearing. One of those removes any doubts you might have about how you look.
This has happened to me two or three times and, while it is complementary, I tend to think those people merely had tastes similar to my own as far as hats are concerned. Actually, I'd guess they were thinking, "Well, if that hairy old slob can wear one..." :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner