Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Pull Off A Fedora/Trilby Dress Hat

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Paul,

I would echo what everyone else has said here so far.
I see you're in the Detroit area, what school are you with? My wife's family is from Dearborn.
Detroit also has a hat store, Henry the Hatter. They used to sell Tilden hats there, I have 2 vintage ones.

https://www.henrythehatterdetroit.com/
Thanks, Hatophile! I am in Oakland County (Oakland University) and been to HenryTheHatter a few times. That's where I bought the grey stetson in the 90s... When I went then, the service was great...I went a few years ago because I am obsessed with finding a light tan fur felt fedora with dark brown ribbon, and when I went in I was sort of being ignored. This is hard to do too because the store is so small. So, I haven't been back since.. Maybe I should give them another shot though.

Thanks, Hatophile! I am in Oakland County (Oakland University) and been to HenryTheHatter a few times. That's where I bought the grey stetson in the 90s... When I went then, the service was great...I went a few years ago because I am obsessed with finding a light tan fur felt fedora with dark brown ribbon, and when I went in I was sort of being ignored. This is hard to do too because the store is so small. So, I haven't been back since.. Maybe I should give them another shot though.
Yeah, times change I guess. You can get some good deals off internet and Ebay that don't require interaction with non-responsive store clerks.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Yeah, times change I guess. You can get some good deals off internet and Ebay that don't require interaction with non-responsive store clerks.

I love internet buying...but you can't try them on either. The Chrisy's Luciano I found on ebay is my best fitting hat - I LOVE it. But I think that's luck... Not all 7 1/8 fit the same. Thanks for your nice reply by the way.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I love internet buying...but you can't try them on either. The Chrisy's Luciano I found on ebay is my best fitting hat - I LOVE it. But I think that's luck... Not all 7 1/8 fit the same. Thanks for your nice reply by the way.
Yes, when you buy online you are taking a bit of a chance. When I purchase a hat on eBay I ask the seller to measure the interior circumference of the hat, you know, along the sweatband. If it's close to my own head measurement of 21.75", then I'm reasonably sure it will fit. You can pad a hat that's a hair too large; you can moisten and stretch a smaller hat a little bit. And hatters like Art Fawcett can resize a hat up or down one size (7 to 7 1/8, say). But I've stopped taking chances on ones outside my true size.

You should try Henry the Hatter again. I've never been there, but I had one of my Akubras customized a bit by them. And having a real 3D hat shop in reach of you is a valuable resource. (I have Meyer the Hatter, but haven't been there in a year or so.)

jkingrph

Practically Family
Wear it! Wear it every day, everywhere you go. Try no to think about it, only to remember to put it on when you go out. After a while you will get to the point to where you do not think about wearing it or how others think you look with it on. In other words you will have the confidence to wear what you like in the manner you like.

Wear it! Wear it every day, everywhere you go. Try no to think about it, only to remember to put it on when you go out. After a while you will get to the point to where you do not think about wearing it or how others think you look with it on. In other words you will have the confidence to wear what you like in the manner you like.

Pretty soon, if you forget to wear it, people who see you everyday will ask "Hey, where's your hat today?"

Another one of my heretical hat opinions: I don't buy hats I can't try on. Hats are like shoes to me in that sense, they are too personal to buy sight unseen.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"You can pad a hat that's a hair too large; you can moisten and stretch a smaller hat a little bit. And hatters like Art Fawcett can resize a hat up or down one size"
A hat stretcher, some water, and a heat source such as a hair dryer or even just a floor or table lamp will enable anyone to increase or decrease the size of most non-synthetic hats by up to a full size.

"I haven't been called middle-aged in years ..."
I've never been called middle-aged (or old). Instead, when I turned fifty, I suddenly started being referred to as "Sir", remarkably often.

Colt3840

New in Town
Another one of my heretical hat opinions: I don't buy hats I can't try on. Hats are like shoes to me in that sense, they are too personal to buy sight unseen.

I would have to agree with you "HudsonHawk" I rolled the dice a few times and it was a No-go! After doing much research and with both Art's offerings and now Brett with B!wear I was very pleased but it took a lot for me to Pull the trigger.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you checked out the Akubra Fed IV in the tawny fawn color? It's on The Hattery site and is probably one of the best deals around.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're right, but it's awfully hard to find a good hat shop. Best to get a custom hat from someone like Art Fawcett and get the conformator (?) and find your exact size and head shape. I wish I'd done that when I first got into this, as I would've saved a pile of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk