Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to repair a fedora's brim?

buler

I'll Lock Up
How I fixed my brim

You may have read in my "Its all your fault" thread that I got my first hat but wasn't happy with the brim. So today I tried to fix it. I dipped water on a microfiber towel and dabbed it into the brim until the brim was visually damp/darkened. Then I massaged the humped area of the brim until it seemed to be less stiff (no jokes please). Then I rigged up a clothespin to pull the tip of the brim down to where I wanted it to go and let it dry. It seems to have worked. I'm much happier with the look of the brim now. Might try a little more water and a tighter pull overnight to get more of a curve. Also put a thick piece of leather over the brim first before the clothespin so the felt wouldn't show any pinching. Used a bootlace to tie clothespin to a chair for tension.

Hat before with hump:

3186131670_736341836c_o.jpg

Brim after fix:

3188877735_0c5324d075_o.jpg

The fix-it rig:

3188877577_9eea8ba9d0_o.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Interesting approach and great result.

You may find the rig is not needed if you just put more water into the felt - and on both sides so it really absorbs water into the brim. Be careful not to get the flange or the sweatband too wet.

Once the felt is sufficiently waterlogged and excess is dabbed off, it should shape by hand and hold as it dries.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Interesting method but Gene's method or a lot of steam should achieve the same result.

I'd be concerned that the dye or oils in the leather might stain the felt.

The final result looks good. Either hanging or placing the hat on it's crown will keep the brim from loosing the swoop when the hat is not worn.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
It's been said before but it's good to repeat it.

When not being worn, it's best to flip the brim up before laying it on a table, chair, etc. The original 'hump' on the front of the brim was caused by the brim being down when it was layed down, like in your first photo. If you flip the brim up when it's at rest you'll save yourself time, energy and a nice hat!

Cheers

buler

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Interesting method but Gene's method or a lot of steam should achieve the same result.

I'd be concerned that the dye or oils in the leather might stain the felt.

The final result looks good. Either hanging or placing the hat on it's crown will keep the brim from loosing the swoop when the hat is not worn.

The brim was dry in the area I had the leather/clothespin. I was trying the least amount of water first. Then I would work my way up to more water and finally steam. Luckily the moderate amount of water seems to have done the job. I will be hanging the hat to save the brim.

Thanks for the advice.

Alexander Church

New in Town
I have a vintage fedora, and well one day I tried putting it on while my hair hadn't been cut in a long time nor combed, and I riped the front of the brim, is there anyway I can get it repaired good as new?
And idk if there are any hatters around here, sadly this isnt 1942, I don't think 2011 duluth MN has shops like that.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Man, you must have one tough head of hair; brim ripping hair.

Maybe if you post a photo of the rip some suggestions might pour in.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To me, I think there was some kinda defect in the stitching at the brim break. I don't think it was your fault, so much as I think that age and wear has taken its toll.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As far as I know there is nothing you can do with it but stitich it up yourself. Nice colour though.
Johnny

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Well, I think that good as new is out of the question, but you might be able to stitch it alright and hopefully people won't really notice. However, I think that you are pretty much out of luck.

Feraud

Bartender
There is a thread around here where something similar happened and a repair was done.
It wasn't as good as new but I believe the result was good enough.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
One option is to send it to a hatter, have the tear stitched, and have it reblocked with 1/4-inch less brim. The ribbon would then completely cover the stitching.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Feraud, you may be referring to this thread about what happened to my brother-in-law's Brent. The problem with stitching felt together is that it tends to come apart if you put the needle through too close to the edge of the break.

On the hat in question, was the break along the stitching for the sweatband? It looks like it isn't, but that could be a deception if the ribbon has been pulled up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda