Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to repair a WW2 aviators kit bag?

Fredells

New in Town
I need your help on how to repair my WW2 aviators canvas kit bag.

Has anyone seen pictures of such a repair?

Maybe with a patch or a name tag? Or just sew it by hand or machine?

Regards

Eyemo

Practically Family
I have one that's been repaird...nothing fancy, just a OD patch over the hole..

p51

One Too Many
The best source for canvas for a patch job would come off a early "kidney style" WW2 gas mask bag. They're not too tough to find in very good shape (if the hardware is rusted or the straps are cut, they're cheaper that way). They're large enough to provide decent sized amounts of original canvas material. If I were doing a patch job on an aviator's bag, this is what I'd do. Here's one in great shape and it's only twenty bucks: http://www.militarymarketplace.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=8738766.25694&pid=804 If you called these folks ( I know them well, those are my drawings on their website), I'd bet they have some in lesser conditions.

Fredells

New in Town
p51 said:
The best source for canvas for a patch job would come off a early "kidney style" WW2 gas mask bag. They're not too tough to find in very good shape (if the hardware is rusted or the straps are cut, they're cheaper that way). They're large enough to provide decent sized amounts of original canvas material. If I were doing a patch job on an aviator's bag, this is what I'd do. Here's one in great shape and it's only twenty bucks: http://www.militarymarketplace.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=8738766.25694&pid=804 If you called these folks ( I know them well, those are my drawings on their website), I'd bet they have some in lesser conditions.

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy