Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to slick the hair without gooing up a hat?

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
I've never tried the slicked back, parted hair typical of the 50's... but what would one use to accomplish the look, that wouldn't yuck up the inside of a hat? what was worn back then? what works now?

It seems most men sported slick hair, but none of my vintage hats have any hair-goo stains on the inside... so something must've done the job cleanly :)

I have a can of pomade that I've used for other hairstyles, but it seems it'd quickly make a mess of a nice hat liner... am I wrong?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
lostinperiphery said:
I have a can of pomade that I've used for other hairstyles, but it seems it'd quickly make a mess of a nice hat liner... am I wrong?

I haven't had any problems with pomade. Perhaps you are using a bit much? When I started using pomade I definitely used way too much, you don't need very much to do the job.

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
Yeps said:
I haven't had any problems with pomade. Perhaps you are using a bit much? When I started using pomade I definitely used way too much, you don't need very much to do the job.

I've never tried, actually... I thought I'd ask before experimenting with the hats I'm fond of :)

I'll give it a go tonight and see what happens... this is actually the first time I've run a comb through my hair in years, so we'll see! I have very thick hair, and its only and inch and a quarter long or so, so it may not even work at all haha.

I would think a leather hat band would wipe off pretty easily?
I was actually more concerned with the silk liners, really...

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have rather long and thick hair that I slick back (Short Back and Sides, circa 1930's) that I wear with many hats. No ill effects. I use this stuff. It's wonderful.

No staining on the liners; pomade never actually dries in the hair, but it won't run off under a hat. (Note that typically your hair itself rarely constantly touches the top of the liner.) I have noted that with any pomade, the sweatband usually becomes oily/greasy from the product. A cloth will take care of this.

Some hats have plastic or oilskin covers that counteract ill-effects from gel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy