Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sigh.

I even searched and didn't see that one......
Did ya really think your thread was the first out of 71,432 threads to ponder the question. And btw, that thread above actually has around 30 threads like yours rolled into it (as yours will be) so don't worry about it. ;)

BaDhaT

New in Town
If it is about traveling with hats, panama is best :p You can simply put it in to backpack / suitcase, and everything will be ok with it ;P

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
If it is about traveling with hats, panama is best :p You can simply put it in to backpack / suitcase, and everything will be ok with it ;P
Actually I destroyed a Panama that I got in Spain, because they told me it'd keep its shape. So I rolled it up, put it into my backpack and got on the plane. Some 18 hours later I took it out and it was a wreck.

Reactions: DRB

The Veg

New in Town
Air travel with a good felt hat?

Hello all,

What's the best way to travel by air with a good felt hat, especially for long (like intercontinental) flights?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You can pretty easily convert a drum case for hats. A case for a side-tom of 13" or 14" by 9" can hold three hats with 1" - 1 1/2" foam-rubber rings inbetween. That's a little more handy than three conventional hard cases for hats

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Traveling with felt hats

We're planning a longish trip, and I plan to bring a hat or two. I've always known it is a bad idea to leave a felt hat in a hot car, but at times it will be unavoidable, potentially for the greater part of the day. I'll take my hat jack, but it that enough to keep my hat from twisting or shrinking elsewhere? In the past I've always avoided the issue by bringing only canvas or straw hats, but this time I want to bring at least one of my better hats. How does everyone else pack their hats for traveling?

tommyK

One Too Many
If you must these work well, won't beat the heat though
2014-04-02174531_zpsdd361378.jpg

However, I have learned to resist this temptation, bring just one hat and keep it on my head.

Reactions: DRB

fedoracentric

Banned
If you must these work well...
View attachment 18320
This is what I use. I have to admit when I fly I use this as a carry on, but I also bring my other carry on. Technically I therefore have two carry ons which is not allowed, but I have flown with this hat box a dozen times and never once been told to check it. I just boldly walk right on with it and no one has ever given me a second look.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Ah! I see I have duplicated another thread! Curse you, search engine, you've let me down again!

This thread is good reading, and actually jogged my memory a bit. I plan to travel with my Akubra slouch, and reading through here I was reminded of what my friends at the park service do with their hats when not wearing them:

HatPress.jpg

Combined with a hat jack, this should keep my hat in pretty good shape. I like a bit of swoop to my brim, but this will prevent the brim from warping, anyway.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I only take one hat anywhere and I carry it around in a cotton shopping bag if I'm not wearing it. I only ever wear hats that look okay a little battered (Cattleman, Campdraft, Drover) so I'm not too concerned about storage. Over the decades I have never had my hat accidentally crushed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner