Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

Edward

Bartender
analogist said:
I don't know if anybody mentioned this but our very own sponsor besdor (Steven) sells a light weight molded plastic hat carrier which not oly can be placed in any baggage storage or overhead compartment but can be placed inside the suitcase as well.

Just returning from a trip myself, the two containers I took survived and protected my hats without a lick of trouble.

You can generally find him at 718 438-9649 in his establishment which is like a candystore to us hat enthusiasts. Check him out,.......and
SUPPORT OUR LOUNGE SPONSORS.

analogist

Great tip, I must check those out. I've been looking at the (now discontinued) Hat Cans on eBay, but I really need something i can trust gonig in the hold, given how fascistic airlines have become about handluggage these days, meanwhile failing to do anything whatever about the complete and utter contempt baggage handlers show your hold bags. (I know that the difficulty is it's the airports and not the airlines that employ the baggage handlers, but you'd like to think they'd be able to make something of a fuss about it, or even care....).

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
dr greg said:
What about Hasidic Jews, how do they react to taking their hats off, isn't it something they don't do in public...then again....they do have BEARDS!

Most Orthodox Jewish males will have a small skullcap under their hats, and so, taking off the hat doesn't mean baring one's head. Not sure how often the security people want this off, too - you can't hide much there which you couldn't just as well hide under your shirt, I spose, but that would rather be annoying than an actual problem of religious custom to most.

(I'm wearing an old-style larger cap indoors, similar to a simple soft smoking cap or a Chinese-type one, which I fold and put in my jacket when I put on a hat.)

There's more of a problem about (married Orthodox Jewish) women's headcoverings, though, where the idea is not to uncover your hair to males you're not married to (all kinds of off-topic fineprint applies) - taken much stricter. I'm not sure how this is commonly handled. Probably wigs aren't recognised, berets and headscarves not seen as dangerous, and hats have to be taken off, preferably in some changing cubicle in the presence of a female security person, even though the hats (mostly) don't come with beards.

Edward

Bartender
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
There's more of a problem about (married Orthodox Jewish) women's headcoverings, though, where the idea is not to uncover your hair to males you're not married to (all kinds of off-topic fineprint applies) - taken much stricter. I'm not sure how this is commonly handled. Probably wigs aren't recognised, berets and headscarves not seen as dangerous, and hats have to be taken off, preferably in some changing cubicle in the presence of a female security person, even though the hats (mostly) don't come with beards.

I should have thought there's a drill for dealing with these. An ex-girlfriend of some years back's mother worked at Heathrow (I'm thinking post 9/11 too), and they had a policy on security checks and frisking for transgendered persons.... I'd imagine if they'd thuoght that one out, they;d also have a sensitive approach for Orthodox Jewish ladies. not to mention Muslim women in hijab or full burka who, let's be honest, are probably in the current climate the most likely to attract security attention.

Woland

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
And occasionally you see the cool luggage piece like a Stetson hat case that is like a leather covered hard luggage case.

Planning to get a triple hat case made for me.
Can anyone direct me to pictures of the aforementioned Stetson Hat Case or similar leathery cases?

flylot74

One of the Regulars
We don't call them bag smashers for nuttin'! They could screw up an anvil! I've actually seen them destroy a Halliburton case and the camera equipment inside getting it hung on a belt loader,the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in aviation.

I simply pack a flat driving cap. Usually I must pack for a week at a time and a roll-aboard is about all I can take with me on a trip. Too often overhead space is limited on today's crowded airplanes, especially the regional jets which we not so kindly refer to as "smurf jets". It is a big problem. It becomes a very big problem especially with musicians who may be carrying a violin and bow worth perhaps 1/2 million dollars. But, that's another story.....

Mr. Sable said:
Let's say one's not travelling on a freighter with a steamer trunk like Shanghailander and assume one is travelling on a plane. How would you pack a second hat? Knowing an airline luggage monkey, I don't think I'd trust those guys to properly handle a hat box.

Suggestions?

Woland said:
Planning to get a triple hat case made for me.
Can anyone direct me to pictures of the aforementioned Stetson Hat Case or similar leathery cases?
I don't recall seeing anyone getting one recently. In the luggage type of travel case the men's style of hat case is square while the ladies is round.

It is about the size of a portable record player from the 1950-60's.

All i can say is you do a search regularly on EBAy for hat case or hat luggage and a similar item will turn up. Hard luggage might be worth looking thru too since people usually don't know much about old stuff and can call it any number of guesses.

Havana

One of the Regulars
The best place to keep your hat while travelling is on your head but what if you need to travel with two hats? Taking along a hat box is completely out of the question. (Many airlines are charging just for the first bag these days.)
Does anyone have any creative suggestions for packing a fedora in luggage? I travel with a hard suitcase so external crushing isn't a problem. The best suggestion I've heard so far is to flip the brim up all the way around and place a rubbermaid type bowl over the crown. Then pack a towel or some shirts around it so it can't move around within the suitcase. At the end of the journey, the hat might need a little tweaking but should be in fairly good condition. Anyone have other suggestions?

NonEntity

Suspended
I have traveled extensively by air, and here's one way to do it:

Since crushing is not a problem, you don't need the plastic bowl, which will just consume a bit of precious space. I'm assuming your fedora is either a pretty decent rabbit or beaver fur felt, as a wool felt wouldn't be worth the effort and can usually be crushed mercilessly without fear of damage, anyway.

First, wrap the hat inside and out with the super thin plastic wrap that comes on clothes from the laundry. This will keep lint and any errant moisture off it.

Next, turn up the brim all around and fill up the inside of the crown fairly tight with socks and underwear. This may pop out the pinch and crease, but that's simple to reshape upon unpacking.

Then, place the hat brim-side down in the middle, deepest part of one side of your hard-side luggage. Depending on the crown height of the hat, and the depth and design of the luggage, the rigid center divider(s)--sometimes there's one but usually there are two--may have to be removed or have hole(s) cut in order that the hat will use space from the opposite side and not be crushed upon closing.

If you need to cut hole(s)--the better option since the rest of the divider(s) will remain to do their job, be sure to cut an oval shape ever so slighlty larger than the outer crown of the hat to ensure it doesn't pinch, then take a strip of foam and surround the inside circumference of the hole to prevent shifting and the sharp edge from damaging the felt.

Finally, place other soft clothing items like shirts and slacks on top of the hat brim right up next to the crown all around it and stack them up. This will cushion the hat. Fill in the remaining space out to the edges of the case with the rest of your clothes and more rigid items like toiletries until no space remains, which will keep contents, including the hat, from shifting.

If you have to add things you did not plan to bring along in order to do this, you will be the first person in the history of air travel with that problem!

Close the half of the luggage that does not contain the hat over, secure the latches, and you're good to go.

Anticipate that you will be one of the choice ones whose luggage those lovable TSA personnel will want to personally search, and then, of course, you will have to re-do the above with a smile on your face though you'd like to slap them upside the head with a wet squirrel.

I used to do this myself, but post 9/11, wet squirrels, even dehydrated chipmunks, are now considered weapons, so that eliminated both my self-defense and a tasty snack for later.

Seriously, I did used to do the above to protect my hats, but I recently got a crushable fur felt Pliofelt from Akubra that you can smash in your case and not worry about one whit. Borsalino, Biltmore, and Christys' make good-looking pure fur felt crushables, too. In fact, I put up a thread here on that very topic a few months ago to help with my purchase decision.

Go with this type of crushable fedora.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
NonEntity said:
/// Anticipate that you will be one of the choice ones whose luggage those lovable TSA personnel will want to personally search, and then, of course, you will have to re-do the above with a smile on your face though you'd like to slap them upside the head with a wet squirrel.

I used to do this myself, but post 9/11, wet squirrels, even dehydrated chipmunks, are now considered weapons, so that eliminated both my self-defense and a tasty snack for later.

:eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol

Great advice NonEntity. Never did that with a hat, but have packed other semi-fragile items in a similar way with no problems.

That matter having been decisively settled - I think - I have a question related to non-air travel. Has anyone had experience with one of these?
http://www.millerhats.com/accesories_index/case1.htm

They seem to have a built-in stretcher of some sort. Are they worth the money? Looks strong enough to throw anywhere in a car without reservations, or take on a bus or train. Might double as a case for a frame drum...

- Bill

genphideaux

New in Town
Woodfluter said:
:I have a question related to non-air travel. Has anyone had experience with one of these?
http://www.millerhats.com/accesories_index/case1.htm

They seem to have a built-in stretcher of some sort. Are they worth the money? Looks strong enough to throw anywhere in a car without reservations, or take on a bus or train. Might double as a case for a frame drum...

- Bill

I have been using them for years. I would not call the adjustable brim support a stretcher. It is intended to support your hats brim next to the sweat band in the front and back and keep the hat from sitting directly on the brim in the case. I have traveled to Europe and Asia with one as a carry on and seen much of the USA with one in the vehicle. I usually store a brush in with the hat since the brim is sitting up off the bottom of the case. For those who like to use the sponges they fit in between the adjustment screws of the brim support. I would not drive a truck over them and expect it to survive but with that exception I have relied on mine to protect my hats.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Thank you GenPhideaux! Most helpful.

They all seem to be made by the Hammer Plastics folks (identical appearance) and considering the price, I can afford to get one English and one Western for less than a single can from Miller. So that's what I did. Looks like what I wanted, light but enough protection and can be used for storage at home when not on the road.

- Bill

Woodfluter

Practically Family
genphideaux said:
More than welcome Woodfluter.

Don't know much but what I do I got a pretty fair handel on.

That's what makes this "virtual community" so valuable. Saves each and every one of us from having to discover a myraid of things out for ourselves the hard, expensive way. Plus a nice bunch of folks. Gracias!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
genphideaux said:

Hello again!

I ordered one of each size, English and Western, from Hammer Plastics. They arrived today. By the way, I would guess that Hammer makes those sold by hat stores at a higher price, and they offer a wide variety of colors.

English hatbox with Royal Stetson, 7-1/2 size, 2-1/4" brim:

The hat is supported on an adjustable frame that contacts the sweatband only, and the brim of this hat doesn't touch the sides of the carrier. A Mallory with 2-1/2" brim will also fit, but the brim gets turned up slightly at four points. Could be a temporary problem if stored that way for too long, but might be OK for a short trip.

Western hatbox with Open Road, same size, 2-7/8" brim:

Made to accomodate up to 4" brims. Clearly, wider than I need for my hats!

Detailed view of adjustable support. Nobody shows this on their websites well enough to understand how it works.

Comparison of external sizes:

I wish they (or someone) made an in-between size. These carriers are pretty light but seem like they would be plenty durable for carrying or car or train use. Either model $32.95, $13.90 S&H for the two of them.

- Bill

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
I prefer to use a shoulder holster. For dire situations, I like to keep a backup in an ankle holster.

Oh! You said "packing a hat", not "packing a gat". Nevermind.

armod

Familiar Face
Air Travel and Fedoras

I'm leaving Australia and moving back to Los Angeles. Travelling by plane of course but without a travel case for the hat.

what's the best place to store it?
checked luggage?

carry on? where to store it?

I guess the worst case scenario is that it sits on my knee for 18 hours

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112