Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear gloves with tite cuffs?

shortbow

Practically Family
Hey all, as the weather gets colder, it's time to break out the gloves. Lately I've been wearing my new G1 under a generously cut over coat and it works great, should be all I need for the majority of the winter. But I'd like to ask if gloves generally should be worn tucked under the ribbing of the cuff on the jacket or over? Whatever the case, I'll have to buy a new pair and need to know if I should go for a gauntlet type or something short and thin at the wrist opening? Is there any precedent? How'd he boys do it during the war and after?

Thanks eh?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't know any historical background, but I do both. Generally I wear gloves over the cuff, because it is easier and I am rather lazy, but when it gets really cold, especially when it is snowy and windy, I definitely would tuck it under for a nicer seal against the elements. Then again, if it goes far enough over, the same effect is given.

I guess it is really up to personal taste.

Edward

Bartender
I don't recall ever having looked for this in photos.... unless there was an official USAAF regulation on how the gloves should be worn in such situations (unlikely - and even more unlikely that it would have been adhered to, it seems!), I'm sure both happened. If your cuffs on the jacket are that neat, I'd wear 'em over..... unless you tend to put the gloves on before the jacket? Gloves are always the last thing I put on on the way out the door, after even the hat, and the first thing to be removed when I reach my destination (or in order to cope with reading a book on the tube...).

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I have been wearing G1s and A2s for almost 30 years and I always put my gloves over the cuffs. I tend to take my gloves off a lot and having to replace them under the cuff would be a royal pain in the tail feathers. Also I tend to wear nomex flight gloves all winter (even on the coldest days - a habbit I picked up in the Army) so they are lose enough to be folded over a bit and slid over the jacket cuff.

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks much guys, some good insights here. Still haven't made up my mind. Saw some really nice lined deerskin gloves today, may go back for them. Guess it'll just end up being a matter of what works best. I was out today for a long walk in -10C with wind and it was pretty chilly, had fingerless wool fishing gloves on, they work well under the knit cuffs, but for really cold stuff, looks like anything warm enough, like the above deerskins, will have to go over the jacket and under the over coat. I'll keep my eyes out for pics from the war and see what I can spy. Cheers.

MB5

One of the Regulars
If it is especially windy I put the gloves on first so they stay under the cuff, but normally I just wear them over the cuff. In temperatures around -10C I usually have gauntlet mittens on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot