Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How we dress and what we drive

Haversack

One Too Many
I don't think I fall into the category of person for whom automobiles are personality-linked. They're a tool where function is more important than form. (Of course that's a personality determination right there.) This was driven home last year when I has to replace my 1993 Mazda Pickup after being rear-ended at the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza. My wife and I normally drive very little. Marketing on Saturday and camping 8-10 times a years. We needed a vehicle that could carry us and an occasional friend or two plus a fair amount of volume/weight. (Canvas tents are heavy). Another thing, what ever vehicle we got had to be under 206" long. (Sharing a tandem garage, don't you know). This pretty much eliminated all new pickups. Even the small ones have gotten too big over the years. Guess what that left? Minivans. Payload of 1300 lbs. (more than most SUVs) Length less than our half of the garage. Lots of space for people and stuff. Mileage about what the old Mazda got. Not being saddled with that particular stereotype, the decision was evident.

Now, if garage space, time and funds allowed, the two vehicles which have some nostalgic/fashion appeal for me are a 1960 Willys Wagon and a 1952 Citroen Traction Avant. For something modern as a second vehicle to the van, either a Mini ragtop, or a Mercedes A-Class, (not available in the USA).

Haversack.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I needed cargo space and decent gas milage...

I went with a Toyota Matrix....and it is perfect for my needs...seats go all the way down, so its ample in the cargo dept.

I am constantly surprised by what fits, this week it was a two seat sofa.

If I had a -stylish- car...I would not be able to get free furniture and haul things home.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Where I draw the line is becoming a poseur. Some people choose cars which make no sense at all for their lifestyle, family size or transportation needs - solely for the perceived image of the car. This simply makes no sense.

The other thing that makes no sense to me is people of who spend ridiculous amounts of money on a new car that's beyond their means. There is no point in crippling yourself financially just to own a new car. That puts the "wants" much too far in front of the "needs".

I have bought one new car - in 1977. Aside from that, I've bought only used cars because they're a much better value and a 2-3 year old car offers about as much use as a new one at about half to 2/3 the price. As a result, I've never had to finance a car for more than 36 months, which is the outer limit of my tolerance for car payments.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Here's my Baby Arwen, She's like a classic British Roadster except She's reliable.
742755_4_full.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Here's my vehicle. It doesn't really fit in with my suits, but it fits perfectly with my lifestyle. I need the room for road-trips and through whatever weather New England may throw at me.

I'm also the guy people call when they buy something big at Target. ;) lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well I've managed to make it to the ripe old age of 60 without ever owning a car, and not even getting a license till age 56. Shows what living in New York will do for you. BUT, if I were to take the plunge, I know exactly what I'd go for. I'm completely in love with 1941 Buicks. My ultimate would be the 4 door Century, which had a great big straight 8, 320 cu inch 165 hp monster under the hood. But with its nearly 4000 lb curb weight, you go fro 0 to 60 in slightly under 20 minutes.
What I'd go for is below. It a 41 Special Resto Rod with a 350/350 drive train. About 250 hp (?) and automatic transmission, all the comforts of home. And these cars are surprisingly affordable. There always seems to be one available for around $8,000. The 2 doors and the convertibles go for way more. But the homely and practical 4 doors are cheap. 16 mpg, which is OK if you only drive recreationally, not to and from work. If only parking were not such a pain in the city! Oh, well. Maybe someday.

Marq

Familiar Face
gpwpat said:
oo

I want one just like that except with a flat head v8 maybe with flat blue paint
Well i'm building a Desoto Hemi for it at the moment so the Chevy should be coming out any time soon..............Paul

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Marc and I have similar tastes--here's my Cruiser

2004 Base model 5-speed with various additions, including a vintage hood ornament of unknown origin. I had planned to get whitewall tires when I needed new ones but wound up having to replace them in a hurry when the sidewall on one was cut by a protrusion from a curb.

InfernalEdition12Dec043.jpg

InfernalEdition12Dec041.jpg

ClevelandRocksCruise0510.jpg

infernaledition12dec04leftnoses.jpg

I used to hang out on a PT Cruiser forum a while back but it got too nasty there during the runup to the 2004 elections.

Cheers,
Tom

koopkooper

Practically Family
"And we could say fine, let's go buy cars from the Golden Era, and that'd be wonderful, but we'd be fools to drive those on a daily basis".

I don't know why you think you can't drive a classic car everyday.
Why not I say. I drive my 65 Valiant pretty much everyday. Hell it's just a car, I'm not concerned about parking it in a shopping centre, or it getting wet when it rains. I must add that my car is in pretty much show condition but as a vintage lifestyle person I like to drive my car. If I have to go a long distance on a daily basis and am concerned about fuel I just do the other vintage thing called public transport.

Personally I don't like any of those modern cars pictured, they all look the same and no matter what they look like they are never as good as a classic car.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
Old daily driver....

PontiacinOcotillo1.jpg

I've driven that car all over southern California. We're in the process of tearing into the straight eight to get it back on the road. It's all original, but we are going to convert it to 12 volts.

New daily driver....

4orchid20flake.jpg

This is the concept, we're finishing up the body work to get it in primer until I have the money to paint it.

It's fun to drive an old car. I don't care about the whole image thing, but I like to have something unique. I've always gotten lots of compliments about my "babies". It brings a smile to a lot of peoples faces, and to my own to hear somebody talk about how they used to have one.

I can see where it would be harder to drive a classic where the winter weather is fierce though.

PS, Here in San Diego.. only assholes drive the Chrysler 300. They tailgate, cut you off, never use their blinkers. Maybe it's different other places, but I've only seen one person, (a woman, maybe that's why?), in one who wasn't driving like an ass. But then again, almost everyone around here drives like an ass.... what's the hurry??

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't drive anything.

I do have an unreasonable affection for the Chevrolet El Camino. Why don't they make pickup-cars anymore?![huh]

And not that Avalanche thing either.

'30s-'40s pickups are even cooler but I'd be afraid to drive it.

In my girliest moments I dream of a Mazda Miata but I just can't fit all my stuff into one. It is perfect as far as "fit" though - not like trucks I have to practically pole-vault into and then can't reach the pedals. :rage:

-Viola

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters