Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How we dress and what we drive

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Holden Efijy

I would take one of these...

47b7da35b3127cce83492cda74c600000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

47b7da35b3127cce83492c80749c00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/conceptcar?modelid=20001

I can't say I've ever been practical when it comes to cars. My modern driver is a Miata. Yet, people still call me, too, when they buy something big at Target! We just put the top down and load it up like a sleigh!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
lol And the modern Mini doesn't have a plasticky interior? And the Mini doesn't have fake chrome bits slapped on it? Pu-leeze.

I have to agree here with Marc. I do like the looks of the MINI, but I had a bad experience test driving one. I guess I had high expectations being that this car is put out by BMW, however I really had a change of heart after the test drive. First off, I know that this is a small car, but I'm only 5 feet tall and I felt cramped in it. Also, it just felt very plastic to me. My Volvo is very solid. Driving the Mini kind of reminded me of Fred Flintstones car. I felt like my feet should drop out the floor and I'd have to use them to come to a stop. Don't get me wrong, I think for the price this is a great car. I just couldn't imagine having to drive it for extended periods of time.
As far as the PT, I was never really fond of them but while in California last November I rented one and my opinion was completely changed. First off, it drove quite nicely. It also was incredibly roomy. It has a lot of head room, no problem fitting a good sized gent with a fedora in it. I sat in the back seat a couple of times, it was very roomy and comfortable. All in all, it was a great car that was incredibly comfortable and drove very nicely. It had a lot of pep to it and was very smooth and solid. I was impressed.
Let me just say, I still like the Mini, it's a very cute car, it's just not for me. Maybe I had high expectations of it and my dissatisfaction came when these expectations weren't met. It is a great city car, the size makes it ideal for getting through the Boston streets and parking. I don't think I'd want this car for every day use, especially if I had any type of commute. But, it would be great if I could afford to have a "weekend" car, one that I wouldn't have to use all the time. I especially like the convertible. What a great looking car. I hear that the four door will be coming stateside soon. Maybe this will be more comfortable. I just wish the overall car felt a little more solid.
Decobelle said:
I would take one of these...

47b7da35b3127cce83492cda74c600000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

47b7da35b3127cce83492c80749c00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/conceptcar?modelid=20001

I can't say I've ever been practical when it comes to cars. My modern driver is a Miata. Yet, people still call me, too, when they buy something big at Target! We just put the top down and load it up like a sleigh!

WowWee!!! I'd like one of those too!! When you order yours just go ahead and place in order for me as well, any color and options will do. Being that you picked out such a great car, I trust your judgment!:D:p

StanleyVanBuren

Marc Chevalier said:
lol And the modern Mini doesn't have a plasticky interior? And the Mini doesn't have fake chrome bits slapped on it? Pu-leeze.

In terms of basic build quality, I would put the Mini up against the PT Cruiser any day.

And the fake chrome bits was a reference to photos someone posted of a PT Cruiser earlier in this thread with fake chrome ALL OVER IT (not stock).

Daisy Buchanan

StanleyVanBuren said:
In terms of basic build quality, I would put the Mini up against the PT Cruiser any day.

And the fake chrome bits was a reference to photos someone posted of a PT Cruiser earlier in this thread with fake chrome ALL OVER IT (not stock).

You might of wanted to look back at that post, for that great looking PT with just the right amount of chrome belonged to Mr. Marc Chevalier. His PT is a great looking car, it's not maxed out in chrome, it has the right amount of chrome to make it a good looking car with great styling. Kudos Marc, I think your PT looks grand:eusa_clap

stanleyvanburen said:
The PT Cruiser, on the other hand, is rubbish. It is too small for its look and far too plastic on the interior. It is a cheap American econo-box in slight disguise. And slapping tons of fake chrome bits on it doesn't help either, that's just gaudy. Sorry if this is a bit harsh, but it really is a terrible car. Originally, when I saw the concept, I thought this car would be cool, but it's not. A friend of mine has one and I was completely disappointed by it.

I don't understand, you were fully aware that someone here on the lounge owned a PT and had posted pictures of it before you wrote this. Then you make the "gaudy" comment, fully aware again that someone here had one, so in essence you were calling that person gaudy. OK, you don't like the car, that's fine, we're all never gonna like the same exact things. So why not just say it's not your cup of tea and move on? Why be so harsh? This was supposed to be a fun thread about us talking about the cars we would like to drive if practicality wasn't a factor. It's not meant to be a Car&Driver report about how terrible the cars that we don't like are. There are plenty of ways to say that we don't like certain things without being rude about it. Knowing that someone here had added chrome to their PT, and then saying
a PT Cruiser earlier in this thread with fake chrome ALL OVER IT (not stock).
Big deal, it's not stock, and your caps denote shouting as if you can't believe someone would do such a thing, and to also refer to this earlier as "gaudy", well you got personal. I'm well aware that Marc doesn't need anyone to come to his defense. I just felt this needed to be said, I'm not pointing out anything that others don't already know, this is over the top. I guess I just don't understand why there's a need to get personal. It's just a thread about cars!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK everyone, before we start racing each other for pink slips, let's all take a step back and confine our comments to cars in general and not people's specific cars, especially other member's.

Let's keep it civil; spirited, but civil. ;) :)

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
WowWee!!! I'd like one of those too!! When you order yours just go ahead and place in order for me as well, any color and options will do. Being that you picked out such a great car, I trust your judgment!:D:p

You got it, Daisy! Since you're on the east coast & I'm on the west, it's unlikely we'd show up at an event in the same car. That would be sooo embarrassing! :eek:

Viviene

Vendor
I drive a PT Cruiser (black with nothing fancy done to it yet) and my DH drives one as well. We've had a lot of fun dolling it up and enjoy it very much. It's not for everyone but we enjoy it.

28558016_o.jpg

Amelie

A-List Customer
omg I was so happy to see they were starting to do the Fiat 500 again this year... but then I was what they have done to it!

How can you go from this:
fiat-500.jpg

to... that :eek:
fiat_trepiuno_01.jpg

that's what I call a murder :eek:

StanleyVanBuren

Daisy:

I'm not trying to "get personal."

I'm sorry, but I simply don't like the PT Cruiser. If I think it's a rubbish car, I'm going to say so.

And if I disagree with what someone has done to theirs, I should be able to say so as well. I'm not trying to make a personal attack, I'm simply stating my opinion on an aesthetic choice. Posting photos invites comment and criticism.

I didn't know who the car belonged to because I just glanced through the thread and saw it. That should be even more of an indication that there was nothing "personal" about my comments.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I drive a new Volkswagen GTI. It's a dream to drive, and the interior is really nicely built. Being a girl, I like all of the red design accents: the red stripe on the grill, the red brakes, the red gauges. Plus, it has plaid seats!

img_9405.jpg

*This is not actually a photo of my car, just an identical model.

Daisy Buchanan

Decobelle said:
You got it, Daisy! Since you're on the east coast & I'm on the west, it's unlikely we'd show up at an event in the same car. That would be sooo embarrassing! :eek:
Oh My! Can't you just imagine the embarrassment!! It'd almost be like showing up in the same dress!!!:D But on the other hand, you've got great taste, so I wouldn't see a problem showing up in something you own! We'll just have to make sure we get different colors!! Let me know when you place the order, so I can make sure I'm home when it's delivered!!

Viviene said:
I drive a PT Cruiser (black with nothing fancy done to it yet) and my DH drives one as well. We've had a lot of fun dolling it up and enjoy it very much. It's not for everyone but we enjoy it.

28558016_o.jpg

Vivienne, I love your PT!!! The flames are great, and I love the license plate! You must look great driving it all dressed in vintage!

Amelie said:
omg I was so happy to see they were starting to do the Fiat 500 again this year... but then I was what they have done to it!

How can you go from this:
fiat-500.jpg

to... that :eek:
fiat_trepiuno_01.jpg

that's what I call a murder :eek:

Recently on a trip to Italy I took notice of all of the Fiats on the road. There were actually still a lot of the older models as well, but, a lot of the new ones were everywhere as well. One thing that is great about Italy, and most of Europe, is the abundance of small cars. First off, they are great on gas. Then they are incredibly easy to maneuver and park. I really think that due to the majority of people driving these tiny little cars leads to a lot less traffic. Less cars in general and the majority of the cars are a 1/4 of the size that we drive here in the states. Now, don't get me wrong. I love cars in a variety of shapes, sizes and brands. I just think these smaller cars, like the Smart Car are the ideal car for city commuters. Like the Mini, I don't think I'd want to have to go on long journey's in them. However, I did sit in one and was amazed by the amount of head room and leg room in them. It was also an incredibly solid car. For something so tiny and minimal on features, the features it did have were solid and sturdy. It seemed to be a quality car.
I really like The Zap Smart Car I don't understand why we don't have these stateside, in particular in cities. It would make parking and traffic so much easier.:(
Smart-CarZAP.jpg

And just to show you, here's Hemingway Jones in front of one (I'm not sure which brand this one is, there are quite a few car makers in Italy that make tiny little cars like this). He's 6'2, and he sat comfortably in it, there was even room for a hat!!!

EDIT:: Just an update for anyone interested in The Smart Car. They are coming to the states in 2008!!! Apparently you can reserve one of your own for just $99!! I'll have to look into the details of this offer, but if that's all it takes, and the car isn't that expensive, I think I'll get one. I've always wanted a Vespa, this is like a Vespa but with doors, so riding in the miserable New England weather might not be so tedious! They even make an adorable convertible!!! Oh, I want one!! I totally want one to tote around the city in. They are made by Daimler Chrysler (soon to not be Daimler Chrysler) so I guess that's why I was impressed by the quality of the ones I saw in Rome.

Daisy Buchanan

Smart Fourtwo Cabrio

I MUST GET ONE OF THESE!!! What a cute little car!!! This is the Smart Twofour Cabrio and starting at under $17,0000 US dollars, I think that's a pretty darn good price. I'm sure any added amenities will cost a bit more. But, how many amenities can one add to such a tiny little car! OOhh, I want was so badly, I don't know why, it's just such a happy little thing. I think it would put smiles on the faces of people I drive by.
fortwo_cabrio_head.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
As twitching Home Depot / antique furniture junkie, I think I'd hate to have to stick to what fits in that, though.

Bet it gets great mileage though.

My sister is talking about getting a used PT Cruiser - what kind of MPG do they get?

-Viola
PS: Girls, make mine the yellow one! ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I'd want to be in an accident in such a small car.

I was hit broad side in a Civic in November and I'm still recovering. It's one reason I bought a bigger, heavier car instead of another smaller car. At this point, I'd never ride a motorcycle or drive a tiny little car in traffic.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Oh My! Can't you just imagine the embarrassment!! It'd almost be like showing up in the same dress!!!:D But on the other hand, you've got great taste, so I wouldn't see a problem showing up in something you own! We'll just have to make sure we get different colors!! Let me know when you place the order, so I can make sure I'm home when it's delivered!!

Thanks Daisy! So do you! Now, if only they would really put those cars into production...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou