Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How we dress and what we drive

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I have one of those trucks! My legs are long enough to step into it though.lol

This is my '76 Chevy. The ugliest pickup I've ever seen, but it gets around. This particular picture was one of the scariest moments of my life, as on the other side is nothing but 30 to maybe 40 feet of straight down.
P1040135.jpg

Dan G

One of the Regulars
There was a little tiny snag that the passenger side front tire caught on that held the truck up. My avatar is from the same set of pictures. I had to have a friend come chain on to me and pull me back up on the road, and you can bet I was pretty nervous when we got to pulling it back up. :eek:

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I drive a Chrysler 300 in the vanilla color. :) It was a mothers day / please dont stop working here's a nice car to commute in present. (No, it didnt work. I still quit).

Anyway it's a lovely car & drives wonderfully. It's beautiful. Although mine is usually loaded down with messy children & a spastic dog trying to climb out of the window. I couldnt believe how quickly I made the transition from fast get out of my way commuter to an oh how did those hazard lights get on, slow driving stay at home mom idiot I always used to get behind :rolleyes:

My second choice would have been a PT Cruiser also in vanilla. They're really beautiful cars in my opinion.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Some small part of me thinks the Dodge La Femme was really cute.

C'mon, like a PT Cruiser with a floral interior wouldn't be sickeningly adorable. Your choice of six vintage pastel colors! :D

-Viola

Mr Thompson

New in Town
On The Benefits of the Push-Button Transmission.

There's nothing particularly risky about having a classic as a daily driver, if you keep it in good tune and don't drag-race it. Most old American cars (by this I mean pre-1970) are built like tanks, and are no more technically advanced than the average tractor. Heck, any two-bit grease monkey can work on 'em. I once had the good fortune to find a '56 Dodge a few years back for a song. Not only the best-looking car I have ever owned, it handled like a dream, kept up with traffic, and got about 20 mpg from that Red Ram hemi under the hood. My greed overcame my common sense, and I sold it for a quick profit. (prices for them have since quadrupled.:eusa_doh: ) I still regret having sold it.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:

Here's my vehicle. It doesn't really fit in with my suits, but it fits perfectly with my lifestyle. I need the room for road-trips and through whatever weather New England may throw at me.

I'm also the guy people call when they buy something big at Target. ;) lol

Hmm, who could this person calling you be?? I wonder?? (patio furniture, hint hint:D)

Barry said:
I drive a Volvo S40-T5.

However, I really liked Simon Templar's P1800.

Yahoo Barry! What year is your S40? Mine is a 2001. I really loved it when it first came out. It was considered an "affordable, sporty, luxury sedan". But, the first run of a model is risky to buy, so I waited until the 01's were released, and they actually had a better review than the prior model. I really love the new body style, and the T5 drives like a dream. Here in Boston, the dealership Boston Volvo Village is a sponsor of the Red Sox, so they released a "Red Sox T5". It was Red Sox red with black leather interior. The floor mats had the red sox logo on them, and it had a couple other Red Sox accoutraments. It was also fully loaded with everything that the Volvo has to offer. What once used to be a car that prided itself on it's bare bones and reliability, has really come a long way. I love the center console in the new models, so sleek.
volvos40%204big.jpg

226_small.jpg

I would love to get a the new model. But it's kind of silly since I rarely drive to begin with and only have 22,000 miles on the one I have. Every time I bring it to the dealership for a check up they make me an offer. I guess finding one from this particular year with low miles is tough, and supposedly they are in demand. But, I really can't justify it. Maybe once I start working again I will reward myself. I don't need the Red Sox addition, but one in cherry red with all the trimmings would be grand:D Happy driving Barry!!

Daisy Buchanan

Has anybody mentioned these yet? Chrysler Crossfire, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, and The Prowler. All American made, and I think they're pretty good interpretations of the classic sports car. I particularly like the Saturn. The Crossfire, either convertible or not, is an amazing car to drive, but once you add any options to it it can get very expensive:(. Both the Saturn and the Pontiac give you a lot of car for the price. Many years ago I owned a Saturn SCII. It was a great little car, fully loaded with every amenity, leather, heated seats, cd changer, rear spoiler (it was the 90's!), and the Saturn service was incredible. I drove this little car, with my close friend, from Boston to Georgia. It was our college graduation roadtrip. Before turning around in Georgia we stopped at a Saturn dealership to get the car checked out. We wanted to make sure that all was well with the little sporty car before heading back home. We had been driving for a month, and we took a lot of back roads, so a lot of miles were put on it. Anyway, the dealership was so nice. They checked out the car and changed the oil for free. While we waited they fed my friend and me lunch. When we got back in the car it was spotless. And believe me, the car was a mess. Two girls doing a beach and bar tour of the east coast can put a little car through a lot! There were little packages of jelly beans on the seats, and they packed each of us a huge bag of goodies, sandwiches, fresh fruit and other kinds of snacks. They new that we were going to try to get home as fast as possible since we had been gone so long and money was getting low, so they sent us on our way with enough goodies to last us at least three days! Anyway, the car was great to drive all that way, even though it was a tiny little thing, and I've never had such good customer service at any other car dealership, although the Volvo dealer does come kind of close:D
2005-Startech-Chrysler-Crossfire-Roadster-FA-1600x1200.jpg

031097-E.jpg

2007_saturn_sky_roadster_front.jpg

56937.jpg

celtic

A-List Customer
white 01 for taurus. already rusting from the salty roads here in the snowbelt.

was thinking about a scion xb, focus or maybe a vibe or matrix...i'm limited to what i can use as a daily driver because of the snow here.

i WISH we had that mondeo here, because i don't like my wife's focus zx5 that much and i don't like the 18 MPG my taurus gets....

i liked the looks of the pt cruisers when they first came out but then i test drove one and didn't like it. i was told that it was basically a dodge neon with a heavier body...i'm hoping the turbo version is much better than the first generation cruisers, because the one i drove was a dog.

i love the 300, but it's outta my price range.

i tried to make a 69 caddy fleetwood bro-ham a daily driver, but the 8 MPG was bad even back then when gas was a lot cheaper. luckily(?) for me i blew the motor before i had a chance to wreck it in the snow...

dream vintage?

shelby cobra 427 competition package
'63 stingray
'65 stingray
'64 lincoln ragtop w/ suicides
'50 merc
any pre 1970 caddy
most lead sleds.

Barry

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Yahoo Barry! What year is your S40? Mine is a 2001. I really loved it when it first came out. It was considered an "affordable, sporty, luxury sedan". But, the first run of a model is risky to buy, so I waited until the 01's were released, and they actually had a better review than the prior model. I really love the new body style, and the T5 drives like a dream.

Daisy,

I love my Volvo, it's an 04. I guess I am somewhat biased towards Volvos. One day I was in my high school senior year government class (my last class of the day) and two kids were talking. One asked the other if he'd seen the accident down the road that involved a Volvo station wagon. I asked where the accident occurred and found out it happened right in front of my neighborhood. The station wagon had flipped over. My heart just sank - my mom drove a Volvo station wagon. I raced home and saw glass and scraps of metal all over the street at the entrance to our neighborhood. As I pulled up into our driveway I noticed that my father's car was there. He was extremely busy at work around that time and rarely came home in the afternoon. Anyways, my mom was at home. Another driver ran a red light and broad sided my mom's car. The fire department used the "jaws of life" to get her out of the car and she went to the hospital for observation. She was 100% ok.

I really only have one issue with my Volvo and that's the radio. There is pretty much no way to hook up an iPod or an XM radio to the radio without voiding the warranty. I can use an FM transmitter but in this area it's pretty unreliable. The newer models have some type of an input for external devices and a much better Nav system, if you like that type of thing.

The new C30 Volvo (Hatchback) is out (I'm not sure how long it's been available). It looks like it has a ton of options.

Barry

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
The Crossfire in not an American car. It is built in Germany by Karmann and pulls its mechanicals from the Mercedes ('97 to '04) SLK-series cars. If one were looking for an "American" car, it would be quite a stretch. The Crossfire is, however, a very stylish car with a fine pedigree. I love the coupe style, although the motoring press has sometimes described the rear fascia as looking like a squatting dog.

Daisy Buchanan

BuddyJ said:
The Crossfire in not an American car. It is built in Germany by Karmann and pulls its mechanicals from the Mercedes ('97 to '04) SLK-series cars. If one were looking for an "American" car, it would be quite a stretch. The Crossfire is, however, a very stylish car with a fine pedigree. I love the coupe style, although the motoring press has sometimes described the rear fascia as looking like a squatting dog.

By American, I mean American brand. Since we're now being all technical. Being that Chrysler is an American brand, on the American stock exchange, it is an American car. Just like Volkswagon is made in Mexico it is still a German car, and Honda is made stateside but it is still a Japanese brand. So, the Crossfire is an American car, it is owned by an American company. People born in America who move to China are still
American. In all aspects but the name the Crossfire is a Mercedes. But, once you add any options to it, you could just buy a Mercedes for around the same price. Anyway, Mercedes is now selling it's Chrysler division, so the newer models will no longer have the Mercedes Benz on the paperwork that comes with the car.

Barry, that's an incredible story. I'm so sorry your Mom was in such an awful accident. But glad that she was OK.

I have problems with the radio in mine as well. I think mine is different than yours, but mine has these universal knobs instead of different buttons to press, so it took some time to get used to operating it. I have a tape deck in mine, yes they were still putting them in in 01', so I use that to hook up my iPod. It's the same type of hook up as an external CD player. A tape with a wire that connects to the iPod. It actually works really well. I hear you about the FM transmitters. I have used many different kinds, invested way too much money in them, and none of them ever worked. I guess there's just too much interference in the city.
I got Hemingway Jones a stereo for his birthday last year. I think it's an Alpine, I'll have to check. Anyway, it's got a setting for the iPod and the connection is in the glove box. Just plug the iPod in and the stereo converts into the buttons for the iPod. It works really well. It is also satelite compatible, has a detachable face and a hidden CD player as well, not like one would need that since it is iPod compatible. I do wonder however if something like this could be installed in the new flat panel console. It doesn't seem like it would be possible.

StanleyVanBuren

The only reason I didn't list the Mini or the Crossfire on my list is because I already had a british car and I already had a Chrysler. Between the Mini and the Jag, the Jag won out, and between the Crossfire and the 300, the 300 won out.

But they're all fine looking vehicles.

The PT Cruiser, on the other hand, is rubbish. It is too small for its look and far too plastic on the interior. It is a cheap American econo-box in slight disguise. And slapping tons of fake chrome bits on it doesn't help either, that's just gaudy. Sorry if this is a bit harsh, but it really is a terrible car. Originally, when I saw the concept, I thought this car would be cool, but it's not. A friend of mine has one and I was completely disappointed by it.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Hooray, I have Volvo buddies in this thread. I drive a 2005 S60R. It is subtle, smooth, safe and quick. I love it. My last Volvo was an S70 T5 that I gave to my father.

Matt

RedPop4

One Too Many
Not a real gear head, but Chrysler's design studio is turning out the nicest looking cars. But I've heard tell, they're not technically sound underneath the skin. I can no way substantiate that however.

I did see an article within the last week, that the Crossfire will be discontinued.

Daisy Buchanan

Cacklewack said:
Hooray, I have Volvo buddies in this thread. I drive a 2005 S60R. It is subtle, smooth, safe and quick. I love it. My last Volvo was an S70 T5 that I gave to my father.

Matt

Yeah Matt, welcome to "The Volvo Lovers of The Fedora Lounge" society!! The S60R is an amazing car. A couple of years ago when I was debating trading in my S40 I test drove both the new model S40 T5 and the S60. The S60 that I test drove was the all wheel drive model, is this the same as the R?? It drove like a sports car, yet was roomy and the all wheel drive would be great for the miserable Boston winters (and springs!) But alas, I have no job. Girls without jobs just can't go and buy new cars:( I do hope someday to have one of the new model Volvo's. I used to love the boxy shape of the old ones, it took me a while to get used to the new design, they rounded them out. But now I love them, they still have the safety and reliability of a Volvo but they made them sleeker and sportier. I have the Thule ski racks for mine, it makes it look nice and sporty especially when I throw some skis and snowboards onto it. I really like the Cross Country too, one day if I ever have a family I can see myself toting around a bunch of little ones in one of them!

Daisy Buchanan

RedPop4 said:
Not a real gear head, but Chrysler's design studio is turning out the nicest looking cars. But I've heard tell, they're not technically sound underneath the skin. I can no way substantiate that however.

I did see an article within the last week, that the Crossfire will be discontinued.

Yes, the Crossfire is going to be discontinued:( A lovely car, but for the price, one could buy a comparable Mercedes or BMW. I believe this also has to do with Mercedes sale of Chrysler. The Crossfire is a Mercedes concept, I don't think Mercedes wanted the new Chrysler to take their concepts with them.

StanleyVanBuren

RedPop4 said:

Yes, and rumor is they may replace the 300 with something like the Nassau concept. Just when we thought they knew what they were doing...

side-nassau.gif

http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/nassau.html

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Yeah Matt, welcome to "The Volvo Lovers of The Fedora Lounge" society!! The S60R is an amazing car. A couple of years ago when I was debating trading in my S40 I test drove both the new model S40 T5 and the S60. The S60 that I test drove was the all wheel drive model, is this the same as the R?? It drove like a sports car, yet was roomy and the all wheel drive would be great for the miserable Boston winters (and springs!) But alas, I have no job. Girls without jobs just can't go and buy new cars:( I do hope someday to have one of the new model Volvo's. I used to love the boxy shape of the old ones, it took me a while to get used to the new design, they rounded them out. But now I love them, they still have the safety and reliability of a Volvo but they made them sleeker and sportier. I have the Thule ski racks for mine, it makes it look nice and sporty especially when I throw some skis and snowboards onto it. I really like the Cross Country too, one day if I ever have a family I can see myself toting around a bunch of little ones in one of them!

Aye, all S60Rs have all-wheel-drive. Mine's even a manual, and it's feisty!

My co-worker's cross-country is the car that sold me on Volvos a few years back. Since then I've been hooked!

Volvos are the best automobiles for toting little ones.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou