Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you lighten/break in cotton khaki to get the "field" look?

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
As many of you know, cotton khaki components, notably shirts and trousers, would often be kept together during laundry by service members to make sure that they lightened at the same rate.

Furthermore, you probably know how khaki uniforms worn in the field (and aboard ship, etc.) looked- very light beige.

Well, I have a number of shirts ranging from late WWII to Korea, mostly new, that have this sickly green/yellow color to them with a bit of shine. This is obviously what they looked like when issued.

I have trousers and other components that have the light beige color and I'd like to get my shirts to match.

Obviously I can wash them a hundred times and/or leave them out in the sun, but I was curious if there's another method(s) you guys would recommend that's more efficient, controlled, etc.

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
I doubt there's any successful /guaranteed way of doing it without repeated wash and wears. If these are original pieces, though, I'd be wary of shortening their lifespan by trying to age them artificially.

Peacoat

Bartender
I understand your problem.

I don't think it would take a "hundred washings" though. Wash them a few times and leave them in the sun. That should remove the yellow/green color. If I remember correctly you are in CA, so you should have sufficient sun this time of the year for the job.

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
I understand your problem.

I don't think it would take a "hundred washings" though. Wash them a few times and leave them in the sun. That should remove the yellow/green color. If I remember correctly you are in CA, so you should have sufficient sun this time of the year for the job.
Yeah, I washed it once, which I'll certainly never do again as too much damage can occur (in this case, the original tag went bye-bye. I sort of expected this based on others I've seen, but still regretted it. The cotton khaki itself though, and all other parts, were fine.) It knocked out some of that color already, and I was planning on going sun from here on out. So I like yer post :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points