Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How you may live and travel in the city of 1950.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Interesting image.

http://www.sadanduseless.com/image.php?n=658

One thing that popped in my brain was the different levels for different speeds of driving.

A problem I see with it is the people on the slow level would think they belong on the fast level. and the people on the fast level would think everyone around them belongs on the slow level. LOL

658.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Cool pic, but I saw (and couldn't find again) an article stating that the government wanted everyone to discontinue the use of air conditioning. It wastes too much power. No air conditioning would render the above plan too hot to do. The article was from 7/12/2010.

later

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have to say, what intrigues me the most about that is the zeppelins. The steam/diesel-punk side of me just loves airships. They are so awesome.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
LocktownDog said:
Well that's all fine and dandy. But I've been promised a jet pack for the last 80+ years. :(

You didn't get your jet pack???

Man I got mine and it is AWESOME!!!

Widebrim said:
How about them three-wheeler autos?:eusa_clap Yet how would they have handled the exhaust fumes with those underground roads? And what's the skinny on those freight tubes?

Exhaust could be handled the same way they do in tunnels today.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
This is really neat in that there isn't anything especially exotic about it. Probably the only thing in there that's not realistic are the spiral escalators; they do exist, but the curve isn't nearly that tight.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here's an image from "King's Views of New York", circa 1911. King's Views was a booklet of pics sold to tourists. But once in a while they'd toss in a "vision of the future". The last line in the caption says, "What will posterity develop?" It's a LOT like the other image.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OQAiMcEXtec/Rxf2HywqRII/AAAAAAAAAiY/_4bj0jWutU4/s1600-h/pictures3+124.jpg
BTW, as referance, the Singer Building is visible at the far left. Until 9/11, it was the tallest building ever demolished.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I rather like that, isn't it always the way that the present is so much less cool than we thought it would be 25 years before?

Yeps said:
I have to say, what intrigues me the most about that is the zeppelins. The steam/diesel-punk side of me just loves airships. They are so awesome.

Totally agreed, airships are just inherently awesome.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Under the train tracks, the proletariat work long, in the hellish facilities that keep life perfect for the wealthy up above. You see, there are no dirty industries up above - offices, living spaces, playgrounds, etc. The above ground is the playground of the rich. If you're poor, you'll never see the sun, and you probably won't live to see 50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner