Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How'd you round out your collection of Whatever? (w/ jukebox)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Got a package tonight, Woo-Hoo - a dozen 78s to help round out the collection! Made me wonder..

So, Tell us: for any vintage / golden era collections you have (hats, suits, radios, movies...), if you could find them, what would be the particular top few items you would want to get to help round out/cap off your collecting?

(And, have you ever scanned eBay to see if the total going prices for the items you never use in your collection might add up to more than enough to buy some of your top wants... )

---------------------------------------

Wanted to share a few MP3's of the new acquisitions, mainly from the late 30s-early 40s:

temp_newjuke78sgrp.jpg

Can't wait till I find time to re-convert the 1949 juke (AMI model "C", below), currently on 45 rpm, back once again to 78 rpm, and stock it full of Ellington with 1 or 2 others, like I'd always wished for! Some MP3s below...

temp_newjuke78s0.jpg
temp_newjuke78s1.jpg

temp_newjuke78s2.jpg
temp_ami_c.jpg

So sit back with your favorite person (or drink), Drop a nickel in the slot, and click in some tunes on the wallbox below for some time travel back to the early 1940s. (Man, I've started spending Way too much time on the Lounge these last couple weeks :) Oh well, fall night classes will be ending that shortly)

temp_wallbox001.jpg

temp_wallbox005.jpg

Opus One: To me, "THE GREATEST SINGLE REPRESENTATION OF THE SWING ERA" :) Glad to have a 2nd copy. MAN check out that swinging lush arrangement, they even have a harp! HEAVENLY.

(that third one "Chlo-e" with the "talking trombone" is just Too Eerie... about a guy searching at night for his girlfriend lost in the swamp, calling out her name - (Ghost Stories, anyone?)

SO excited :) :) to FINALLY get some Ellington 78s which, for so many years in high school/college, had been my very motivation to go "on the hunt" almost every weekend at the state fairgrounds flea market, searching through Tons of $1 records, but never finding some of these! (Got these all about $2 a pop, VG+, PM me for details) And, a few 2nd copies of faves by Tommy Dorsey, so I won't have that nervous laugh when toting them around with the portable and folks go "whoa, almost dropped one", you know how that is. :)

Swing High,
- C H

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Cousin, that's absolutely wonderful! What other titles did you get?

I have no idea what would cap off my vintage collections as I have none... all the vintage items I have right now are a radio and a few magazines. I guess I'd start a camera collection and top it off with a Speed Graphic... or maybe 78s and round it out with Raymond Scott titles. One of these days...

And thanks alot for sharing the tunes.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
CharlieH. said:
Cousin, that's absolutely wonderful! What other titles did you get?

I have no idea what would cap off my vintage collections as I have none... all the vintage items I have right now are a radio and a few magazines. I guess I'd start a camera collection and top it off with a Speed Graphic... or maybe 78s and round it out with Raymond Scott titles. One of these days...

And thanks alot for sharing the tunes.
Glad you enjoyed the tunes Charlie. No particular collection, eh? I'm looking forward to eventually getting further away from having a "vintage record collection" and having a more well-rounded group of "vintage everything" around the house, and just a more reasonable number of records. Someday...

A few other of the titles: (1933's "Drop Me Off In Harlem" is the best representation of early 30s jazz! featured in the 1980's movies "The Cotton Club" and "Harlem Nights")

temp_newjuke78s5.jpg
temp_newjuke78s4.jpg

temp_newjuke78s3.jpg
temp_newjuke78s6.jpg

also,
WARM VALLEY - Duke Ellington (My fave of his)
DUSK - Duke Ellington
SOMEONE - Duke Ellington
WHAT AM I HERE FOR - Duke Ellington
JUKEBOX SATURDAY NIGHT - Glenn Miller (Finally! :) )
BEGIN THE BEGUINE - Artie Shaw (2nd copy)
and a couple others by T.D.

Swing High,
- C H

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Solid tunes there, Cousin H. You can never go wrong with the Duke.

There ain't no such thing as a "reasonable number of records," though. No matter how many you have, there's always going to be more to want!

(Which also applies to shoes, but I digress...)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
CharlieH. said:
Solid!
And what kind of machine are you currently using to play 'em? Electric? Wind-up?
All kinds, right now a 1952 Rock-Ola that plays 78s (last one made that would), but expect it to end up mainly being the 1949 jukebox above :) hope to someday photo the entire machine collection & post (before I sell em all lol )

Folks, tell us what you collect and the few choice pieces you'd really like to find to be the prize items. (Shoes count :)

Swing High,
- C H

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, I collect just about everything vintage, but my biggest collection is of radio recordings. I've got over 5000 hours worth of broadcasts, with an emphasis on the 1930s -- and I'm always looking for original transcription discs from that era.

A few years ago I let my daydreaming get a bit out of hand, and unleashed a very elaborate April Fools joke on the old-time-radio and 78rpm record collection communities -- basically, I came up with a whole detailed story of finding a long-lost horde of radio discs from 1929-34 containing thousands of rare broadcasts, among them an extensive series of Bix Beiderbecke airchecks, and planted the story on lists where I was a member. Within a couple days, I was getting inquiries about it from all over the world -- and when I confessed it was all a gag, well, I had to lay low for about a month afterward...

So to round out my collection -- I'd like for that story to be true!

PS -- you can read the original post to the 78-L list that started the gag rolling here: http://www.midcoast.com/~lizmcl/aprilfool.html

Just please don't believe a word of it.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
...you can read the original post to the 78-L list

:D Great gag LizzieMaine! checking out the link now.

Oh yeah,the old 78-L list, is that still around? I was on that back in school (the first time) :) Wonder if all my posts asking about Ellington are still on there?

That's how I met some of the nicest collectors ever, who sent me cassette transcriptions of almost Every Single Last obscure Ellington 78 in Rust's discography which I hadn't already found on CDs, all 460 sides under every pseudonym you could imagine from his first recording in 1924 up through 1942. I've just recently started transferring to digital domain for audio cleanup & re-record on fresh stock cassettes (before they get stickyshed or something!), thats my real treasure trove. Bill Mossman was one of the guys on there helped me out the most. Small world.

Swing High,
- C H

Rosie

One Too Many
Thanks so much for sharing, that will be cool to listen to during my travels. I don't really collect any thing in particular, I usually just buy what I really like whatever that may be. There isn't anything in particular I'm looking for though, I would like a really nice fox stole. [huh]

magneto

Practically Family
Greats post(s) and tunes, Cousin Hepcat! :)

LizzieMaine said:
A few years ago I let my daydreaming get a bit out of hand, and unleashed a very elaborate April Fools joke on the old-time-radio and 78rpm record collection communities
...SNIP...
That *is* very elaborate! :) I assume the names and equipment details are real to give verisimilitude to the story? :cool2:
Me, unfortunately I don't have any large, almost-complete collections of anything, just small, very-incomplete hardly-deserve-to-be-called collections of old [ink bottles|hats|pens|tea towels|dishes|pulp paperbacks|cookbooks|fill-in-the-blank-here...] :eusa_doh:

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Hi there, Cousin Hepcat- great to see another juke enthusiast round these parts. Here's my baby:

100_1434.jpg

I guess I could call it a "collection" if I had a golden age juke to go with the silver age one- my preference would be a Rockola 1422 to play my 78s as well.

161_rock1422.gif

Caledonia

Practically Family
Rounding out a collection of "whatever". Credit card limit. :D Well true and a bit mischievious. I have a bag/purse collection, and I have one style and colour that I want from the 50s. No designer name, nothing like that. It's just a personal like. I will watch the best sites till what I want comes up, buy it, done. Just done it with a pattern I've been looking for for 18 months. Decided the collection was big enough but missing this one that I fell in love with but it was sold. Now, got it, no more pattern sites for me! Shoes on the other hand..... And, just got a piano. This could be a disaster. I can see my entire vintage collection budget (which is basically credit!) now transferring to music sheets - then there's the ballroom, salsa, jive etc lessons. Rounding out - what are you talking about! There's always something to fixate on next. :D

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani said:
Hi there, Cousin Hepcat- great to see another juke enthusiast round these parts. Here's my baby:

100_1434.jpg
Coool, someone to talk jukeboxes with :D

LOVE your seeburg!!! That is one of the coolest single one of the "select-o-matic" series, Very "1960's Chicago blues club" looking. What kind of tunes do you stock it with?

Sweet Leilani said:
I guess I could call it a "collection" if I had a golden age juke to go with the silver age one- my preference would be a Rockola 1422 to play my 78s as well.

161_rock1422.gif
Great Golden Era choice, the Rock-Ola there. Check out my favorite tie, found this on eBay: :)

juke0023.JPG

Yup, my 1949 AMI model C in the top post above is the closest I've been able to afford to get to "golden era" lol would LOVE a Wurlitzer 950 CD repro (the original's the most rare/collectable juke in the world):
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=97582&postcount=12

or better yet a 1941 wurlitzer 800:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=97632&postcount=17

Here's my other jukebox: a fully working and great sounding 1952 Rock-Ola model 1436 Fireball, the very rare 78 rpm version, currently taking up a third of our dining room lol : That's actually my most frequently used player for 78s- holds the most 78s of any 78 juke:

juke01.jpg
juke02.jpg
juke02b.jpg

Caledonia said:
Rounding out - what are you talking about! There's always something to fixate on next.
lol

Swing High,
- C H

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Cool collection CH!

I've got a wide assortment of 45s in there- everything from Jouis Jordan to The Clash. For this box, I tend to stick to doo-wop & rockabilly, mostly. (I once tried to stock it entirely with records from 1959, just so I could get an idea of what it would be like to listen to "new" :rolleyes: ). I've probably got a couple hundred swing-era 78s as well, waiting for their own home.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani said:
I know someone that has an original 950, and an 850 as well. Along with a V200, a 1015, etc, etc. That would be a nice way to round out my collection!
Yessiree, you're not kiddin'! You've got some pretty cool friends there :)

When I was in between I.T. jobs before my current one, I was trying different things, and opened a home based business for restoring & reselling old phonos for a couple of months. It's inactive now but I keep renewing the license because I know someday I'll have time to do sell some other kind of fun vintage-related stuff with it.

Here's the one product that remains, a video of some of my friends' jukebox collections, including one guy's finished barn with 20 classic models inside! I don't sell it direct anymore but it's now through my good friend in CA, Willie Bosco at Record Players Plus, but here's the link to my page and the classic jukebox video: (very poor camcorder quality I'm afraid, you have to be a fanatic to watch it lol but the video stills are fun to look at)

http://www.eternalgoods.com/rppjvc.html

Swing High,
- C H

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Cool! I think we've officially highjacked this thread into jukes! lol
Those are some nice jukes in that guy's collection- I would gladly take a 1426, 1428 or even an AMi B if I couldn't get a 1422 to round out my collection! lol

My friend's name is Tony Molettiere- he had some well-publicized auctions several years ago in which he sold a lot of his collection- two factory buildings' worth. He only kept the cream of the crop jukes for his current "museum". (He also has two '37 LaSalles in his collection- one is a convertible.) We are both members of the American Historical Jukebox Society- if you subscribe to Always Jukin' you've probably heard of it. The monthly meetings are at his business/jukebox museum.

He still owns a coin-op business and sells & services jukes, pins, video games, etc. Tony is the rare repairman that will come to your house and work on your juke there. He re-capped my amp (no small job) at his shop, however, which was the only thing the juke needed. The rest is all original & unrestored. I've only ever had to replace the needles & the 1050 tube which operates the wallbox stepper- the rest of the tubes still say "Seeburg" on them. I even have the original stereophonic demonstration record!

I bought the juke from a church about 8 or 9 years ago (that's another story in itself) where it had been gently used after coming off location, and then just left in a corner for about 30 years, so it's pretty pristine. :)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani said:
My friend's name is Tony Molettiere- he had some well-publicized auctions several years ago in which he sold a lot of his collection- two factory buildings' worth. He only kept the cream of the crop jukes for his current "museum". (He also has two '37 LaSalles in his collection- one is a convertible.) We are both members of the American Historical Jukebox Society- if you subscribe to Always Jukin' you've probably heard of it. The monthly meetings are at his business/jukebox museum.

He still owns a coin-op business and sells & services jukes, pins, video games, etc. Tony is the rare repairman that will come to your house and work on your juke there. He re-capped my amp (no small job) at his shop, however, which was the only thing the juke needed. The rest is all original & unrestored. I've only ever had to replace the needles & the 1050 tube which operates the wallbox stepper- the rest of the tubes still say "Seeburg" on them. I even have the original stereophonic demonstration record!

Ohh, Sweet! Must be real nice to have one so pristine. I'll bet you folks get a lot of compliments. That's really nice to have one so all-original.

My AMI model C had been converted to 45 rpm in the 1950s, and "did time" on location in various Chicago joints till the 1980s! :eek: and it still half-worked when I got it. Talk about "don't make em like they used to". :) Bought through Always Jukin' the cap kit & installed it, as well as un-kicked-in repro lower plastics, fresh color wheels & diamond foil, & parts to convert back to 78 rpm (which I still have yet to install; been playing indie rock new releases in it, LPs & 45s are making a comeback you know :D )

Too bad that fella had to sell his collection. So did my friend in Rocky Mount; too bad or I'd go back there in a heartbeat with my new far-superior digital camcorder! :(

Didn't know theres an American Historical Jukebox Society, haven't subscribed to AJ in awhile, that's too cool. I'd like to go to a big show someday. I've a friend nearby lets me come over now & then & listen to 50s doowop in his Wurlitzer 750 and Rock-Ola 1428 "christmas tree" & talk shop so I can "get my fix", fun :)

WURLITZER%20-%20MODEL%20750%201941.JPG
rock1428.jpg

Swing High,
- C H

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani said:
Those are to die for!!!

Man, I'm really getting the bug to get me a 78 juke... Too bad I don't have an extra 5 grand lying around somewhere!
I got my AMI model "C", half-working, for 1 grand about 5 yrs ago; also there was a fully restored one for 2 grand. (Hey, it's a good "starter"; and SOMEBODY has to root for the "underdog" jukes lol I wish it had come with the Cool Metallic Lady in the brochure, though...)

juke0003b.jpg

Swing High,
- C H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21