Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hungarian Vass Shoes

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
H.Johnson said:
The example given above isn't typical of his work. Hungarian shoes usually have a very distinctive deep toe, sometimes called a Budapest toe.
While the Vass Budapester is their iconic last and they still do a brisk business in them, in the previous decade or so they've substantially expanded their offerings to include shoes like the one above. The R, F ,P and particularly the U last are not your father's Budapester. ;)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Ne sutor ultra crepidam - Why not?

Vass László went way beyond his bootlasts - he is also a great collector of contemporary art. His collection has an own museum at the countryside of Hungary in Veszprém -the city of Queens- not far from lake Balaton

http://www.veszprem.hu/Kultúraművészet/Vassgyűjtemény/tabid/725/Default.aspx

Mentioning of Mr. Vass as art collector
http://artportal.hu/lexikon/mugyujtok/vass_laszlo

The VASS COLLECTION WEBSITE
http://www.vasscollection.hu/

VASS László
Art collector
(DOB: Pestújhely,5 April 1946)
1960–64: Shoe industry vocational school. 2000: Merit Cross of the Hungarian Republic. 2007: Officer’s Merit Cross of the Hungarian Republic. 1964–69 Designer at the Hungarian Fashion Institute. Masters Exam in 1970 his masterpiece has been a welted „Budapest” styled mens shoe. He has been working on the refinement of this style ever since. He opened his own shop in downtown Budapest in 1978. Mr Vass has been collecting artworks of contemporary painters and sculptors since the mid 1970's. Mr. Vass donated his art collection for the town of Veszprém and it is on a permanent exhibition since 2002

His own book: ~–MOLNÁR M.: Klasszikus férficipő, Bp., 1999.
Sources: SZENCZI TÓTH K.: The master shoemaker/A cipészmester (Levél V. L.-nek), ÉS, 1994/4.; BORS E.: Mai művek gyűjtője/Collector of contemporary arts, Lakáskultúra, 1994/5.; NÁDOR T.: Ember és tárgya/Man and his sujet – ~, Szabadföld, 1994. márc.; S. B.: Vass–Polgár, Cash Flow, 1997/8.; GYŐRFFY I.: Interjú ~ műgyűjtővel/Interivew with Art collector Vass, Mozgó Világ, 1998/3.; NAGY Z.: „Budapest stílus” ~ múzeuma/Budapest style - the Vass museum, Műértő, 1998/12.; KELLEI GY.: Cipők és modern festmények/Shoes and modern paintings , Veszprémi Napló, 1999/2.
Film interviews: Az én váram – Lakáskultúra mindenkinek/My castle (szerk.: OSSKÓ J., MTV 1, 1994); Apropó (szerk., műsorvezető: KEPES A., MTV 1, 1997); THÉMA (szerk.: ERDŐSS P., MTV 1, 2000).

His shoes speak for themselves - now you know why- there is more beyond them than just handiwork. Mr. Vass is an institution – all tourist and expat publications mention him as one of the attractions in Budapest. His shoes have not attained yet the status Hungaricum like Herend porcelain -which title is awarded by a board consisting of don't know whom, surely very-very wise learned and honorable bureacrats having much more merits and fame in their field of competence than Vass himself- but in reality the Vass shoes are already trademark of Hungary. And Vass László progressed quite far in terms of refining&developing the Budapester - don't you think?

P.S. Daizawaguy - great shoes!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Hungarian Vass

NikonJune2009009-1.jpg

NikonJune2009010-1.jpg

The Shooman

Practically Family
My favourite RTW pair ever! Vass 3636 last shell cordovan Wien. These are true beauties and a true man's shoo. More beautiful than any of my Vass F last shoos. l'm going to wear these alot! l love the Wien designs soooo much.
MrVWien4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner