Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hurricane Sandy

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Davis, WVa I think the snows were about 2-3hours drive west of DC
293840_486141358085122_1838318302_n.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Up in the northwest corner of Westchester, I've been without power for 36 hours now.

I came into work today - even though the office is technically closed and we're supposed to work remotely from home - because there's light, heat, coffee, and working computers here!

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Here in Astoria Queens, everything is fine - far enough from the river to avoid flooding, new electrical infrastructure from the recent blackouts held up well. Mostly it was a wind and storm surge event, not much rain. But many like me are going to be off work for a while - subways probably won't be up until the weekend, electrical to downtown Manhattan may be about the same.

Did a last-minute single-malt run yesterday. Drenched my Stetson Chatham - now that it's dried and brushed, the brim looks better than it has in years - and no shrinkage!

I suggest you put a picture of the hat in the http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...phs-Of-Hats-Fresh-From-Surviving-The-Elements thread, scotch in hand.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
We've had our share of hurricanes in the past, and got a brush from Sandy in the easternmost part of NC, but all in all we came through unscathed. Prayers and best wishes to my fellow Loungers who were in the path of the storm. I know that it's going to be a long hard recovery for some of you, but things will eventually get somewhat back to normal.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just had dinner with a pal in Westchester who works for Con Ed (our utility company in the NY area). He deals with the natural gas side of the business, but he said that it's just going to take a while for everything to get restored, period. All the undergound lines have to be dried out, cleaned, checked for salt water damage (of which there is going to be plenty), and then reconnected piece by piece. This is labor intensive work, usually in a very rugged environment, requiring a lot of skill and patience. Can just slap dash it together. Lower Manhattan is a HUGE job.
This event was really like a gigantic tsunami that attacked in slow motion.
Personally, my decision to move to the North Bronx has turned out to be very lucky. Aside from many downed trees, I've had no problems. My subway line will be back in operation tomorrow from my end of the line down to 42nd St. Below that line there remain BIG issues to deal with.

There are millions without electrical power and land line phone service in NYC and adjacent communities in Long Island and New Jersey. I expect we will have to wait a while longer for their stories.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I live near Peekskill and have been without power since Monday night. I've been staying upstate with my sister.

Ironically, I have been coming into work for the last two days - even though the office is technically closed and we're all supposed to work from home - because I don't have power at home, but everything's working fine here...

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
No power, heat, hot water, internet or cell service since Monday night, but otherwise my wife and I (and our dog, Lola) are okay. We feel as though we've been added against our will to the cast of a reality TV program about life in the 19th century.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Still taking cold showers, Could be worse. We were ready for the worst at DelMonico but came through it without a hitch and did not miss a day. Well except Monday but we are closed on Mondays anyway.

Jeff

EggHead

Practically Family
My sister lives in New City, NY. Still no power in her area or at her home, but "luckily" her work is near a power station/plant so she is working since yesterday.
She said there were a lot of damage in her neighborhood from fallen trees. Cars and houses damaged. Drivers are irate (more than usual)

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the first time I've been able to access the internet since Monday. I'm at work where we're running off a generator. At home we still don't have electricity and don't expect it until at least Monday. Half the power lines down are street are laying in the street. I step over our neighbors every time I leave the house. The lines for gas (gas cans only, no cars at most stations are around 100 persons long. It's definitely a zoo.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the first time I've been able to access the internet since Monday. I'm at work where we're running off a generator. At home we still don't have electricity and don't expect it until at least Monday. Half the power lines down are street are laying in the street. I step over our neighbors every time I leave the house. The lines for gas (gas cans only, no cars at most stations are around 100 persons long. It's definitely a zoo.

We have gas and a kero heater so we're heating with the stove and the heater. We've got candles kerosene lamps and a couple of flashlights so we can see. It is getting old fast though.

I have a bunch of photos of the damage. There are entire trees on top of houses etc... but I didn't bring the camera into work so I'll post those at a later time.

Hope the rest of the loungers from this area are doing all right.

Sam

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab

The whole country has been watching y'all's situation every day on the news. Sad to say, it looks very familiar to me. Eastern North Carolina went through the same thing in '99 after Hurricane Floyd. I can tell you, what you’re going through now is the worst part. In the next few weeks, things will begin to settle down. Emotions will calm, people will focus on rebuilding and life will return to some form of normal.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff