Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am seriously considering giving up my cell phone

Connery

One Too Many
The reason I do not give out my cell number anymore is because I have had an issue in the past where my number was 1 digit off of some drug dealers number in Gary. Getting calls at 2 AM asking for a fix gets real old, real fast.

It seems to me that the problem was that the drug dealers gave out their telephone number. Unless these 2AMers had a cell phone equipped for those who have eye sight problems i.e. cell phones with very big numbers to push, they were dialing tiny numbers while having shaky hands and mistakenly pressed your number. On the other hand, your friends and prospective employers may have gotten a big surprise to realize who they reached if they dialed your number incorrectly and spoke to these jokers.

Change your telephone number.:)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The reason I do not give out my cell number anymore is because I have had an issue in the past where my number was 1 digit off of some drug dealers number in Gary.

I think I would have had a talk with my local police department. They might have been real interested. Of course, as I type this I realized that you may not know which digit they were off when calling.

I wouldn't give up a landline either. The primary reason is that we don't have a decent signal at our house. I also find I don't really like talking on my cell phone so avoid it as much as possible. I do find that I like being able to reach my wife from the road (and being reached by her) as I am a regional field tech and often spend a large part of my day driving. I carry two cell phones; one provided by my work and my personal one. My personal one is Verizon and I find I can usually get a signal with it when I can't with AT&T.

Cheers,
Tom

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You better hope that you're not out and about when calamity strikes.;)

Every other person around me would have a smartphone, so I'm covered lol

Change your telephone number.:)

The simplest solution is always the best, right? You can change your cellphone number online in 15 minutes, and prevent your old number from leading to a recording with your new one. Amend your resumé, send the number out to the people you want to have it, and presto - no more problems with too many people having it. My brother has done this multiple times for the same reason.

I've also had friends whose numbers were very similar to businesses or strangely popular people (in one instance, my friend changed her number, and her new number had previously belonged to a girl with lots of boyfriends...) Change, change again!

Last edited:

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
I know exactly what you mean about wanting to be unreachable. Once my kids are all grown and out of the house, my cell phone will be going away. too much like an electronic leash, and they didn't work when we had the earthquake here in the DC area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails