Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I believe we are in trouble....

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I like to check that site now and again as you sometimes see interesting clothes...but when I saw that guy...I just don't get it. Is wearing a suit jacket that is way too small and pants too short supposed to signifiy some sort of sophistication? Too me it always meant that you need to get some new duds. People actually trust this guy in the photo to make decisions for them about their clothes....:rolleyes: I guess I'll never be invited to parties with those "beautiful people" in NY....

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
I like to check that site now and again as you sometimes see interesting clothes...but when I saw that guy...I just don't get it. Is wearing a suit jacket that is way too small and pants too short supposed to signifiy some sort of sophistication? Too me it always meant that you need to get some new duds. People actually trust this guy in the photo to make decisions for them about their clothes....:rolleyes: I guess I'll never be invited to parties with those "beautiful people" in NY....

As one of the comments on the site says....
Give us a break, the man is a slob. If he is the "most important young menswear designer in New York" then the crash of '32 just hit the fashion industry.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The author posts here regularly

I'd like to read his rationale for choosing this designer in this particular suit?
Of course, he'll have to pop in here in a flame retardant suit of his own...

That has to be one of the most ilfitting suits i have ever seen.

Fashion statement: I am still growing and my parents can't afford a new suit for me. (This reminds me of being in my early teens, going thru a growth spurt and at the end of summer all of a sudden mom is insisting I wear my suit to church!)

I thought i was reading the Onion.

Marty M.

Vendor
And the "Turkey Award Winner" goes to.......

The only good things off that page were the Bruce Boyer interview. He really is a good guy. And the picture of Lindsey. Hey, what can I say, I'm a guy.

Marty

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Someone posted on that site that Mr.Short pants is actually a brilliant entrepreneur because he gets people writing and talking about his strange style. Well I guess that's true since we are writing and talking about him...although I sorta doubt that anyone around here would pay $3000 to wear a Pee Wee Herman suit! (no disrespect to Herman...at one time a very funny comic).

Maybe that designer is trying to work up to bringing back Plus Fours in men's fashion...

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Sefton said:
Someone posted on that site that Mr.Short pants is actually a brilliant entrepreneur because he gets people writing and talking about his strange style. Well I guess that's true since we are writing and talking about him...although I sorta doubt that anyone around here would pay $3000 to wear a Pee Wee Herman suit! (no disrespect to Herman...at one time a very funny comic).

Maybe that designer is trying to work up to bringing back Plus Fours in men's fashion...

I wouldn't call his style 'strange,' just unoriginal. It's basically a rip-off of an early 60s suit. Sorta reminded me of Ernest T Bass when he wore a suit for the first time.....

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Living in New York and being in the suit business as a side project, one hears a lot about Thom Brown and how visonary and exciting his style is. I for one think that he looks idiotic, not so much the jacket but the trousers. That said, he is making wearing a suit much more hip and trendy, but with a classic 1950's basic style, which I applaud. The way too short trousers are really his personal style and the suits he sells off-the-peg are cut more normal. Still, I don't see anything visionary in his style. If "pushing the envelope" in modern men's fashion is making your inseam 5 inches too short, then call me stodgy and out-dated.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
GateXC said:
...he is making wearing a suit much more hip and trendy, but with a classic 1950's basic style, which I applaud.

Basically, then, he's ripping off that 'classic 1950s basic style' and you're saying it's hip and trendy? Wow...he's so visionary.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Quigley Brown said:
Basically, then, he's ripping off that 'classic 1950s basic style' and you're saying it's hip and trendy? Wow...he's so visionary.

No, not the ripping off. Making the actual wearing of a suit in and of itself more trendy and hip, esp. something that while isn't everyone's cup of tea, shows how you can take a suit and make it your own and it can be very individualised. You don't need to go to Hugo Boss, Brooks Brothers, Prada, etc. and get the same black 3 button suit that everyone else on the block is wearing. He just happened to choose the 1950s style as his base from which to work.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
GateXC said:
No, not the ripping off. Making the actual wearing of a suit in and of itself more trendy and hip, esp. something that while isn't everyone's cup of tea, shows how you can take a suit and make it your own and it can be very individualised. You don't need to go to Hugo Boss, Brooks Brothers, Prada, etc. and get the same black 3 button suit that everyone else on the block is wearing. He just happened to choose the 1950s style as his base from which to work.

I'm sort of confused then. What exactly unique does he to with a 1950s suit design that makes his creations so cutting edge and trendy? I'm certainly not a designer myself, but I think there are so many different designs in men's suits and they've already been done...I'd say the 1970s was when the last unique designs in men's clothing were created. Since then it's been all copycat...with a few minor tweaks here and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR