Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

chiefusmm

New in Town
Never having been worried about what everyone else has, only what I need or what. I'm not sure what I'm suppose to have. I don't have much of the techie stuff most of you are talking about, as it is not an intrest of mine or is it needed by me. However I do own but not use offen an i-ron for my clothes.

Last edited:

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
My coffee maker is a spoon, plunging into the jar of Sanka. Now *that's* vintage.

I now drink the herbal instant coffee (typically made from chicory, beet root, dandelion root, barley). I put some spices in it and it's wonderful black.

This company makes it using some other plants: Roasted Rice, Roasted Peas and Roasted Chicory (http://www.ersatzcoffee.com/About_Ersatz.htm)

The term ersatz probably gained international attention during World War I, when the Allied naval blockade of Germany throttled maritime commerce along with Germany itself, forcing Germany to develop substitutes for products like chemical compounds and provisions. Ersatz products developed during this time included: synthetic rubber (produced from oil), benzene for heating oil (coal gas), tea composed of ground raspberry leaves or catnip, and coffee, using roasted acorns or beans instead of coffee beans. Though a similar situation arose in Germany during World War II, this connotation with the term ersatz has fallen into disuse in Germany. - Wiki: Ersatz

Ersatz Coffee, Tea and Cocoa

Coffee imports had became impossible by 1916. The scant stores on hand had been stretched and extenuated by the use of chicory and other supplements. A transition from coffee to coffee substitute began. The first substitute, Kaffee-ersatz, was not a bad one. It was mostly made of roasted barley and oats and the flavor was enhanced by chemicals from coal-tar. The brew had a good percentage of nutritive elements, no caffeine and was quite palatable when taken with milk and sugar--without sugar though, it was impossible. But the grain could be put to better purpose and so this led to the introduction of the substitute of a substitute. Kaffee-ersatz-ersatz was made of roasted acorns and beechnuts, with just enough roasted barley to build up a coffee flavor. It was said to be better than the first substitute but was also more expensive. Unfortunately, there weren?t enough acorns and beechnuts, much of which was being fed to pigs. Before long the excellent acorn-beechnut coffee disappeared to be replaced by a third substitute whose original ingredients were carrots and yellow turnips. A substitute for tea was not difficult. The bloom of the linden tree mixed with beech buds and a few tips of pine made an excellent "oolong." A cocoa substitute came from coal-tar and chemistry along with roasted peas and oats. - Reenactor.net - On the Home Front

Edward

Bartender
iPads, Kindles, Nnnooks? Eh.
Was at Barnes & Noble yesterday & was practically slapped in the face by the Nook as soon as I walked in the door. I guess I can understand the convenience of one when traveling, like you said. But, I still love the smell & feel of a real paper book (especially hardback). Just somethin' about it. :)

Oh, I agree. I have an iPod because I want music on the go, and it is so much more convenient than the old cassette Walkman. I can take as much of my music collection as I can be bothered to upload on the road with me. Bliss. I held out from buying an ebook reader for some time simply because you can't do the same with books. I can buy a real CD and rip it to my iPod, I'm not obliged to pay through the nose for inferior downloads. Not so easy with books. That said, though, there is so much free and nearly free content available for the Kindle on Amazon, it is definitely worth it. No repalcement for a real book, sure, but tremendously convenient when a real book isn't.

Bert Fink

New in Town
lol First thing first: welcome to the Lounge!

And now tell me how your wife usually reacts to your exceedingly sneaky proposal.

Thanks Mario!
She has a great sense of humor about her lack of ability in the kitchen, and just like most of my bright ideas, that one usually gets a laugh and a little bit of the stink-eye.....

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I agree. I have an iPod because I want music on the go, and it is so much more convenient than the old cassette Walkman. I can take as much of my music collection as I can be bothered to upload on the road with me. Bliss. I held out from buying an ebook reader for some time simply because you can't do the same with books. I can buy a real CD and rip it to my iPod, I'm not obliged to pay through the nose for inferior downloads. Not so easy with books. That said, though, there is so much free and nearly free content available for the Kindle on Amazon, it is definitely worth it. No repalcement for a real book, sure, but tremendously convenient when a real book isn't.

I do so LOVE my ipod. Music is playing as I type. :)

What sort of content on your e-reader? Magazines? Newspapers? Angry Birds? lol Still, I say, BAH! I have to wonder how far one of those things will fly... ;)

Justin B

One Too Many
No e-reader...love my books.

I do have an iPhone...but that's just because I have to have a smart phone for work and it was the cheapest at the time. The iPod function gets used constantly.

One thing I will never own is a new car. They have no character and are generally very cheaply made. I'll stick with the kind I can rebuild in my garage.

Derek WC

Banned
Cellular/portable computer, computer (Ironic, huh?) - It'd be better to say what modern stuff I do have - cruddy 90's apartment that came with unbearable neighbors.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I now drink the herbal instant coffee (typically made from chicory, beet root, dandelion root, barley). I put some spices in it and it's wonderful black.

This company makes it using some other plants: Roasted Rice, Roasted Peas and Roasted Chicory (http://www.ersatzcoffee.com/About_Ersatz.htm)

I would classify these as a type of herbal tea. One does not call things coffee which are not. A little chicory in a coffee roast is fine, and adds a nice flavor, but there is no such thing as "herbal coffee." However, if these are good, I would have no objection to them. (I also don't believe in instant coffee. Instant coffee-resembling-yet-entirely-unsatisfactory-liquid is more accurate)

Last edited:

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hi Yeps,

Yes there is a company that does sell such a type of blend as a Tea (and I agree with you - if we're going to get technical it should be a 'Tisane'). Celestial Seasonings has it - Roastaroma.

I simply call it 'herbal coffee' to make a 'sharp distinction' between the regular type tisanes (herbal teas - such as chamomile blends, etc.) and 'coffee substitute' blends.

I got my 'tea bag' with from the company (requested a free sample to compare with the instant kind that I have as I have not tried it in this form) - just have yet to try it out.

:)

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
Wow! Just spotted this thread.
I don't own an iPod
I don't own a laptop, but I do have a Blackberry, but only because the company I work for furnishes it.
I don't own a car, just trucks and 4 wheel drives.
I don't own a pair of dress shoes, just cowboy boots
I don't own a short sleeve shirt, except for a few tee shirts, that I seldom wear.
I don't own a lawnmower, but I do have a tractor and brushhog
I don't have an account at Facebook or Twitter, etc.
I don't have a vehicle payment, but I own several trucks and even a couple of Harley's
I don't have a house payment, but I do own a house.
I don't have anyone that lives less then half a mile from me, and I like it that way.
I don't have a boat, but I have owned a few in the past.
I don't have a box of tissues, but I own several hankerchiefs, and a roll of paper towels.
I don't have a Kindle, but I own a lot of books.
I don't own a pair of slacks, or anything dressier then a pair of Black Wranglers, except for one suit, that I might put on, if I just get really pushed into a corner.
I don't own a pet, but I do have some cattle and a horse
I don't own a set of golf clubes, but I do have some nice shotguns for Sporting Clays and Pheasant hunting.
I don't have a decent internet connection, other then dialup, but I wish I did.
I don't have anymore time for this, today, but I wish I did.

Edward

Bartender
I do so LOVE my ipod. Music is playing as I type. :)

What sort of content on your e-reader? Magazines? Newspapers? Angry Birds? lol Still, I say, BAH! I have to wonder how far one of those things will fly... ;)

Books only thus far - all of them free. Complete Sherlock Holmes stories, Dorian Gray, The Bible, The Koran, Frankenstein, Dracula among them. All public domain, downloaded from Amazon to Kindle for free. No restrictions on how I move them around, either - I can copy them back and forward as often as I like across mobile phone, laptop, Kindle itself... Very convenient.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I loathe ebay. I don't even consider it when I'm looking for something. There are FANTASTIC "antique" shops in South Jersey that sell great stuff for dirt cheap. I get my housewares and furniture there. I don't wear vintage clothing, but I like vintage patterns and I can get them in SJ for ONE DOLLAR!!!!!!!!!! I'm sick of the inflated prices on Ebay and Etsy. I don't even buy vintage magazines anymore because of this -- I used to get them for $8 about 10 years ago. Last time I looked I couldn't find one under $30. :(

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Books only thus far - all of them free. Complete Sherlock Holmes stories, Dorian Gray, The Bible, The Koran, Frankenstein, Dracula among them. All public domain, downloaded from Amazon to Kindle for free. No restrictions on how I move them around, either - I can copy them back and forward as often as I like across mobile phone, laptop, Kindle itself... Very convenient.

Definitely understand the convenience factor, but somehow I'd be worried I'd lose content between all the transferring. That is cool to know that you can get so much for free. But, I'd still prefer to see the spines of these books on my shelf looking back at me. :)

I don't own...

A Paypal account or an Ebay account. lol For real. Can't stand either.

Haven't been on either of those sites in so long I think I've been cancelled. lol
Do they really have much vintage on them? I prefer to go to antique or vintage shops & spend time looking.

Gotta love the smell & feel of old things & being around them. :love:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24