Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I guess there's some good in being 'eccentric'

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
In just this past month, I've gotten quite a few people either coming up to me or calling me saying they've acquired some piece of clothing or item to see if I want it. Most of the time, it's great stuff. It just REALLY amuses me the way some people word it, 'It just looks like something YOU would like'...funny how I don't really view myself as that out there, but on the other hand, it's great to be the one person people think of that would actually love vintage hand me-down stuff. Do you guys ever get this same kind of resonse as well?

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
My family is now on the lookout for vintage suits, hats, etc. and they let me know when they see something interesting. I love it!

Matt

lindylady

A-List Customer
I don't get too many verbal responses about my vintage eccentricities, only the occasional curious stare. But, I am going to reach that level one day. I very anxiously look forward to it:D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive always loved thrifting, so when I generally go home, my fam says; "Hope you budgeted some thrift store time. Some new shops just opened."
Squeeeeee!

LD

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
My mother-in-law started giving me her father's ties and such for birthdays and Christmas. She often talks about my "style" and what would fit in.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This is an interesting question, Mysterygal. I keep hoping this will happen, but so far, no luck. My sister tends to look for gifts that "fit" for me, but otherwise, no one I know "gets it!"

Travis

Suspended
My boss told me a while ago she was going to give me all of her father's old cufflinks and tie clips since her husband never wears ties. I was really excited about it but haven't heard anything about it since. I don't want to be pushy about it, so maybe it will never happen. Other than that, I, much like Scotrace, have yet to have any experiences like that, but I welcome the occassion with open arms!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It worked for me for years - I'd get things from female friends that had belonged to fathers or brothers. I seem to have lost the mojo these days.

As to being eccentric? It's great to have people walk up and give ya stuff. But as far as gaining a general reputation as a wierdo - no. I've been there, and it ain't fun.

Travis

Suspended
Fletch said:
As to being eccentric? It's great to have people walk up and give ya stuff. But as far as gaining a general reputation as a wierdo - no. I've been there, and it ain't fun.

Yeah, but you get used to it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
This is an interesting question, Mysterygal. I keep hoping this will happen, but so far, no luck. My sister tends to look for gifts that "fit" for me, but otherwise, no one I know "gets it!"
It's the family that don't seem to 'get it':rolleyes: I just direct them in a different direction from clothes when it comes to birthday's and what not!
A couple of weeks ago, this lady did something that completely blew me away, she was at a school auction and saw a vintage purse there and bought it for me. I've only talked to this lady once, but kind of briefly on my love of vintage. She got a great big hug out of that one!

Elaina

One Too Many
I have a lot of older people that call me and try to entice me to come over and go through fabric, or look at some old notions they have found, or machines, or war stuff or what not. The newest one is the 84 year old lady that's learning to sew ("Dearie, I can't figure out how to get the sleeve in. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I've got some coffee if you can come over and help...").

I've been offered a lot of things, but I rarely take them becuase I feel extremely guilty. I have taken items that I can't say no to (something rare, very beautiful or they shove on me) or to not do so would crush the offerer's feelings. Most of the time I don't because it's by the grace of God. I'm going to be old one day (maybe) and I'd hate to be alone and lonely and have to pay someone to visit me, and I have the time to go over and do the odd things no one else seems to.

As to the rest of it, no. I'm very standoffish, very quiet and to have someone call me out of the blue I barely know would be awkward at best. I DO have one lady that emails me stuff at the thrift stores, and I her (same kind of thing) and we buy items for each other as we see them espicially if it's something that will sell quickly, but I've never met her face to face, I've never talked to her on the phone, and the items and payments are all done on porches and in envelopes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nothing eccentric about me in the least. It's the rest of the world that's screwy. That's been my ethos since childhood.

But yes, I have a large bag in my storeroom full of sewing notions and similar things that friends of my mother have passed on to me -- "Hardly anybody sews these days, but I'm sure you can give these things a good home..."

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
When you get right down to it, every person who posts on the Fedora Lounge is an eccentric. Every single one.

Brian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.
The Crowd: Tell us! Tell us both of them!
Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!
Man in crowd: I'm not...
The Crowd: Shh!

~Monty Python's Life of Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy