Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate summer.

Wild Root said:
And you know why that is? Because they want to be in the nicest part of the state too!

=WR=

I am not sure it is the nicest part of the state. Bel Air and Beverly Hills seems to be more like it. Up here it would be like Ruby Hill or some of the other places gated communities have sprung up. I suppose that $3-6 million for a house might limit admission though. ;) :eek:

Regards to all,

J

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
summer can be a real sartorial eyesore. people dress worse in summer than any other season. for english men... combat shorts, flip flops and a loud printed shirt (if you're lucky) seems to be the regulation wear. on women you see a lot of floaty white cotton or linen skirts through which you can see a thong, which in theory should be sexy (if you like thongs. which i don't) but isn't.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I've been lucky the last few days (or maybe I'm biased coming home from Taiwan?). For some reason, my family is jinxed. Every time we go to California, it either rains or is totally cloudy. Tada! We land and it's like 65 degrees in Long Beach. Just dandy :eusa_clap
Then we land in NY, and just as cold. The low was 57 degrees and a high of high 60's/low 70's. I nearly caught a cold coming from Taiwan that is like 70 degrees low and 90 degrees high.
I guess you don't appreciate this stuff until you move to a subtropical island.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Yep, the heat is getting up there! We were hitting between 103 and 107 last week. I work in a building with no air conditioning, too. My building was one of the originals built in 1952 when the Marine Corps came to 29 Palms. We have swamp coolers, which work great until the humidity reaches about 45%. Thankfully the humidity is pretty low (16% right now, which is a bit higher than average), but once the monsoons hit we'll shoot up to the 50-60% range, and then they don't work at all.

Which, of course, explains my pre-occupation with the British Colonial look! Aertex, baby! We did a survey when it was hitting 107 last week, and I walked about 6 miles across open desert (starting at 6 am, when it was only about 85, of course). I drank about 3 liters of water in a six hour period, plus a Coke, and half-liter of Gatorade.

But as a good friend of mine says, "you don't have to shovel heat!"

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Try being a Civil War Reenactor! thick wool coats,thick wool trousers,full length drawers, wool socks, and topping it all off,a wool forage cap,or felt hat-plus a heavy rifle and all the leather accouterments. I've done many an event at 95 degrees F,and often lost 5 pounds in a day. My whole uniform is soaked clear through, but I still look forward to every event. We're all nuts,of course.
I'm used to sweating, though-I work in a large factory,where it is usually at least 90 all summer,and as a pipefitter, I'm always somewhere especially hot,like up near the roof,or down in some airless pit.
I also remember those pre-AC days at home,when we would lay exhausted and sleepless on sweaty sheets,listening to every sound outside,as every possible window was wide open. I don't miss that stuff AT ALL!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
My first summer home after I got out of the Marine Corps I worked as a presser in a dry cleaners. They hired me because I knew how to press all the uniforms that came through! I spent the entire summer in shorts and Chuck Taylors. Talk about hot! They were a bit mad at me when I quit in the fall when I got a job at the computer lab at the college I started attending. Let's see, standing over a steam press in an un-air conditioned dry cleaners for eight hours a day, or working in an air conditioned computer lab. Hmmmm. Let me think. :eusa_doh:

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
You Hate Summer? Ha! I Say Ha! You Can't Handle Summer

Truncated -
Matt Deckard said:
When it's too hot to wear the wool, or even a full suit for that matter...

You live in the desert for God's sake. Those of us on the Gulf and the Coastal South may not enjoy your high temperatures but our insanely high humidity trumps your higher heat.

It's so hot and humid most of the year; down here, that wearing a hat is a chore. Any kinda' lid. Grown men wear shorts 7 months out of the year, and even worse...

But I can't conti...(msg. ends) :deadhorse

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Here in Austria we were blessed with what experts called two of the coldest May/July weeks since...well, a long long time ago (my memory fails on me).
In my hometown the temperature wouldn¬¥t rise above 5¬?C and it snowed, just 150 meters higher (we¬¥re at about 860 meters above sea level)!
You could wear a shirt, with a T-shirt underneath, and a jacket.
Needless to say, I loved it! There´s no better day than a rainy day. :)

Today was the first really hot day and it reminded me of how long it actually takes every year for me to get accustomed to the heat - summer´s usually nearly over until I have reached that point. A certain dislike of shorts and short sleeved shirts (though I have no problem with T-shirts at all) and my strict refusal to choose sandals over a pair of closed shoes don´t make life easier as well. :)

But at least it´ll be nice and cold at the place I work as a cashier during vacation:

heimatmuseum%20radstadt.jpg

Actually it´s so cold in there that there´s a radiator in the ticket office that gets used frequently, even in July and August. :D

Regards, A.

shortbrim

New in Town
Linen, Egyptian cotton, silk

I have a couple of personal favorites for summer. First is a Hawaiin style shirt that is a couple of sizes too large. This is the Hawaiian style. I wear a large so in Hawaiian shirts I get xtra or xtra, xtra large. Very cool shirts with patterns and styles to fit many tastes. Secondly, I like a very light egyptian cotton or light linen, long sleeved shirt, and this can be worn to the office. These also, should be worn in a slightly larger than normal size to allow for extra air circulation.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm still waiting for summer to kick in...been raining for awhile, but the worst part is that it's really humid out there also :(
My favorite summer attire are my summer dresses, there's two that are easily interchangeable from casual to dressy...just depends on hair and accessories

mysterygal said:
I'm still waiting for summer to kick in...been raining for awhile, but the worst part is that it's really humid out there also :(

Join the club. It has been far too cool out here to define as summer for me. First it rains for nearly 40 days and then the wear is clousy for a while with one or two warm days in between. I haven't even been able to sleep without the covers on me so far this season. What gives? :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
It has been a weird season. In may we had some VERY unseasonably warm weather...wasn't complaining at all, loved it, but not typical either. Rain is normal, but the humidity this bad isn't. Our summer really starts kicking in around the 4th of July...it seems all of a sudden it just gets plain hot! So glad I've got a river right by me! :D

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Chicago 91 Degrees

I'm staying Chicago for a few days and it hit 91 degrees today. LINEN PANTS TIME! We went to Navy Pier today, so it was nice and breezy.

I still don't look all that comfortable, though...
CIMG3753.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Ghos7a55assin said:
I'm staying Chicago for a few days and it hit 91 degrees today. LINEN PANTS TIME! We went to Navy Pier today, so it was nice and breezy.

You look sharp, Ray!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy