Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate the 2000's

DerMann

Practically Family
Kassia said:
Heaven help a man that sits in front of my with a top hat on... I will ask you to remove it... And if you don't i will, excuse my pun, over your head to get you to remove it.. It's rude and a am short.. I if i can't see over your hat tht is your problem not mine..

As for the toga.. Have you never heard of safety pins and bike shorts?

Well if you're short, you probably couldn't see over my head then ;)

I exercise great caution when wearing hats to any any event. When I go to football games I leave it on (sun protection and all that). However, I try to sit away from the centre and ask the people behind me if it's a problem (several times throughout the game). Sad thing about the topper is that it spends more time on a chair than on my head :/

Romans did have safety pins, but they were primarily for women. And only barbarians wore pants :p

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But going back to the original post, the principal said he dressed "too flashy." He wasn't told he couldn't wear a coat because it could cover up a gun or knife. He wasn't told suits were outlawed by rule 857.1, subsection 72 (b) IV.

Saying that it's "too flashy" sounds like it's completely subjective and the opinion of the principal. But perhaps I'm wrong - perhaps their dress code does states "too flashy" as a reason for reprimand. But I can't imagine it using "too flashy" because it's too open to interpretation, too ill-defined.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's what he says the principal said.

Mike in Seattle said:
But going back to the original post, the principal said he dressed "too flashy." He wasn't told he couldn't wear a coat because it could cover up a gun or knife. He wasn't told suits were outlawed by rule 857.1, subsection 72 (b) IV.

Saying that it's "too flashy" sounds like it's completely subjective and the opinion of the principal. But perhaps I'm wrong - perhaps their dress code does states "too flashy" as a reason for reprimand. But I can't imagine it using "too flashy" because it's too open to interpretation, too ill-defined.

Senator Jack said:
Hah! Kind of a Bizarro World 'Leave it to Beaver' episode. Here's the synopsis of 'Monster Sweatshirt'

Beaver and his friends buy fad "monster" sweatshirts and agree to wear them to school on the same day but Beaver is the only one who manages to sneak out of his house in the gruesome attire and suffers the consequences of violating the school's dress code...and his parents trust.

Nowadays, the monster sweatshirt would be okay and a jacket gets him tossed. I'm not advising you to 'Fight Authority' kid, I'm advising you to 'Fight Idiocy'; in this case, the latter just happens to be in the form of an authoritarian principal who can't seem to make a rational decision because he's only 'following the rules'.

Best of luck,

Jack

Sounds about right to me. I've been fighting idiocy for decades. ;) :p

Edward

Bartender
Kassia said:
Either way they scare me... LOL..
I don't trust people who all conform and dress the same.. It's probably a good thing my mother didn't make me go to Catholic school.. I was in trouble in public school all the time anyway.. I didn't need a uniform rule to further challange me to non comformance..
Hahahahaa....

Actually it worked pretty well in encouraging those of us who would have felt non-conformist in some ways to develop our individuality as a matter of intellect rather than something easy and unthinking as wearing something out of the norm. FWIW, of all the kids who complained bitterly about there being a uniform (which tended to be a minority, but then uniform has been the norm in schools in general over here within just about everyone's living memory), when it came to the occasional non-uniform day, without exception they all turned up in virtually identical "in fashion" outfits. Still a uniform, albeit one of their own choosing. lol

Many kids loved the levelling factor a uniform brought. Children can be incredibly cruel, and several kids I remember being long haunted by taunts they got on a non-uniform day for wearing "the wrong thing." (One or to of them, I suspect, couldn't afford the "right" clothes.)

Edward

Bartender
Hal said:
I would like to think so, but such "conditioning" also works the other way, causing the young person to react strongly against such "uniforms". Continental European schools don't have uniforms, and in my experience men from those countries dress better than do British men. Dislike of the school cap surely played an important role in the abandonment of hats in the UK.

True, there is also that. I suppose it can go either way, depending upon the person.

DerMann said:
Romans did have safety pins, but they were primarily for women. And only barbarians wore pants :p

Trousers were developed by more equine-based cultures, specifically, those in which the horse was used as a transport by a rider mounted on its back. Cultures such as the Romans, who primarily used the horse to pull chariots rather than to be ridden upon, felt no need of such a garment and did indeed look down upon it as something worn by "barbarians." That said, they did find some form of trouser acceptable for their troops stationed in colder climates, such as Britain.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Actually it worked pretty well in encouraging those of us who would have felt non-conformist in some ways to develop our individuality as a matter of intellect rather than something easy and unthinking as wearing something out of the norm. FWIW, of all the kids who complained bitterly about there being a uniform (which tended to be a minority, but then uniform has been the norm in schools in general over here within just about everyone's living memory), when it came to the occasional non-uniform day, without exception they all turned up in virtually identical "in fashion" outfits. Still a uniform, albeit one of their own choosing. lol

Many kids loved the levelling factor a uniform brought. Children can be incredibly cruel, and several kids I remember being long haunted by taunts they got on a non-uniform day for wearing "the wrong thing." (One or to of them, I suspect, couldn't afford the "right" clothes.)

Sadly i dissagree... But then i wasn't allowed to join Brownies when i was a kid because my Mom didn't approve of little kids wearing uniforms either..
And that is another discussion all together..

And yes kids can be cruel.. I didn't fit into any of the groups at my school anyway.. I have recently discribed the group i hang out with as "the Misfits".
We were not jocks, not all that smart, not popular, not fat, not thin..
Or maybe as Goldilocks might say,,, We were JUST right!!
But kids today all wear the "uniform" of which you speak every day to school.
Designer jeans, shoes, jackets, even hair.. LOL....
The flip side of that is the group of kids that actually do shop at thrift shops and have thier own look... Gotta love a rebel!! I guess that is where i fit in...
I don't have kids and never will.. But if i did i'd encourage them to be individuals and not conform.. Yes i know that's a fine line to walk without being totally outrageous..
Many years ago it was unusual to see a woman with a tatoo.. Now i'd say about 75% of the gals i know have at least one... Body piercings are another thing that was different when i was a kid.. Now eveyone has at least one, other than an year.. What makes me different now is that i don't have any tatoos or piercings other than ears...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
DerMann said:
Well if you're short, you probably couldn't see over my head then ;)

I exercise great caution when wearing hats to any any event. When I go to football games I leave it on (sun protection and all that). However, I try to sit away from the centre and ask the people behind me if it's a problem (several times throughout the game). Sad thing about the topper is that it spends more time on a chair than on my head :/

Hmmm then what about the kilt?????

tonyb said:
I'd give a dollar to hear the principal's side of this story.
I am sure that the principal acted in that PC /Human Resources type of response where he or she feels that they are heading off a Posible problem before it occurs.

As we know the halls of high school are cruel arenas when person or persons decide to make a target of someone or another group.

The pressure on school officials to keep a lid on incidents from forming comes from the tragic events of the past that escalated to physical attacks and murders. So they shut down anything that could be given a negative connotation or be seen as a target.

Not fair and not right but the overiding concern for safety has procluded much in the way of activities for the students that was once held in esteem.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LocktownDog said:
I don't know what it is about schools anymore. They seem to worry more about funding and discipline and less about education.

My 13 yr old son was suspended for 2 days this week for assaulting one of his teachers. Its not what you think. He handed in his homework and the teacher got a papercut from it. Thats all. Thats it. No more to it. Reported for assault. Teacher wanted Antonn expelled from the school district. This is a kid that is rated in the top .5% of the state for his age group, competed in the national spelling bee, on the math-olympics team for three years now, and is already being courted by the Univ. of Hawaii for their astronomy program. Reported for assault ... for an accidental papercut. The principal gave him 2 days suspension, because she said that any filed report had to result in a punishment ... no matter what.

Now, that is insane. Call the ACLU!
Guilt by accusation? Is this how we want our kids to grow up?

L Lawliet

New in Town
Comepletely proposterous of course. I think it was a culture shock for them. They're used to the attire of today's kids. They may have thought you were performing some political demonstration. Schools get scared when there's a black sheep in the flock of fools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24