Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate the 2000's

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
Something along the lines of this:
deadpoets.png

Kassia

One of the Regulars
just_me said:
Funny you should write that. When I went to school, girls had to wear skirts or dresses and boys had to wear trousers (not jeans) and button down shirts. We hated it.

When I started college, girls had to wear skirts/dresses. That pissed me off. I traveled into the city daily by bus and the subway, carrying a large art portfolio whether it was freezing or hot. One day I decided enough was enough. It was freezing out and I wore pants. The dean was walking by as I walked in the building. She kicked me out. I started a movement with other women to change the rules and we were wearing pants in no time.

I still would rather wear pants than a dress, but I see no reason why someone shouldn't be allowed to be dressed up in school. If the jacket was the issue, then asking him to remove it would have settled it.

Maybe try trousers, shirt, and tie and see how that goes over.

We used to wear the trousers under the dress/skirt and remove them when we got to school...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
DerMann said:
While not nearly as extreme, I was told to remove my top hat in the main commons of my highschool. My hands were full of books, so I ensured the assistant principal that I would remove it once in class. He thought he was so utterly clever when he retorted,"a gentleman removes his hat indoors." I stared at him, and I'm sure my face was one of disbelief.

I pulled it off my head, walked about 20 feet and then replaced it on my head.

Solidarity!

The only other time I was confronted about my dress at school was when I came dressed in an authentic toga praetexta for a Latin project thingummy. I had to ask the principal to let me use the elevator, and he told me that I ought to change out of it afterwards, but I never did, and had no intention to. Tricky as hell to drive a stick shift with no power steering whilst your left hand is engaged in keeping your toga draping properly.

Heaven help a man that sits in front of my with a top hat on... I will ask you to remove it... And if you don't i will, excuse my pun, over your head to get you to remove it.. It's rude and a am short.. I if i can't see over your hat tht is your problem not mine..

As for the toga.. Have you never heard of safety pins and bike shorts?

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Or possibly The Boys From Brazil? lol

Either way they scare me... LOL..
I don't trust people who all conform and dress the same.. It's probably a good thing my mother didn't make me go to Catholic school.. I was in trouble in public school all the time anyway.. I didn't need a uniform rule to further challange me to non comformance..
Hahahahaa....

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Sean said:
ok so get this i went to school today in a suit and i was written up because of it the the princible said i was being way to flashy...... i hate 2000's if iny trys to be there own person people unecspect you

Was it just the attire or was there an attitude problem too?
If i where you i would make an appointment with the Principal and talk over the issue.. Perhaps there is a way to remedy the situatiion so that everyone can remain happy... And btw perhaps you should check your posts with spell check cause as you say, your spelling sux... I suggest you use it more often.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:

Well i have to say that Slash might be an extreme case here... It is attire that is approriate for his job... School is another thing...

To quote another famous rocker i do belive that Schools out for the summer!

But wouldn't it have been cool to go to school with a rock star? The closest i came was a professional hockey player..

Heather

Practically Family
Kassia said:
Well i have to say that Slash might be an extreme case here... It is attire that is approriate for his job... School is another thing...

To quote another famous rocker i do belive that Schools out for the summer!

But wouldn't it have been cool to go to school with a rock star? The closest i came was a professional hockey player..

Who?

Artigas

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
What I questioned, was the idea that we all immediately jumped to the 'how unjust, you should wear it -anyhow- stance' , instead of 'well you should follow and respect the rules you have to work with'.

I did say multiple times that most of us were not advising him to break the rules. Perhaps I was wrong in my calculation of pro-rule breakers being in the minority. But no more wrong that your statement above that "we all jumped..." (emphasis added). In any case, I, myself did not advise him to break the rules. Just commented that the rules were unjust. Of that I am sure.

I also qualified the statement in regards to him being written up by specifically stating that I was assuming it to be true--hence, I recognized and read his later statements, and recognized that they may have called into doubt his original statement's veracity. The OPer has still not made it clear whether or not he was actually written up, merely added that it may not have been as bad as we percieved or he represented, by later saying he was "talked at". So I operated off the assumption--while recognizing its truth was uncertain--that he was "written up".

I will say this: though I don't think it necessarily applicable in this case, sometimes unjust rules need to be broken. It's a big part of how we get laws changed in this country. It's how this country was formed in the first place--by a bunch of rebellious rule-breakers, including my own flesh and blood, who refused to respect their leaders and their rules. I think it is especially respectful to these of our elders, to follow their example, and not take abuse lying down, if one so percieves a rule to fall under that category.

Like certain prevalent racial attitudes of the "Golden Era", the attitude of blind faith and unconditional obedience practiced by many at the time is not one I choose to hold, regardless of how much I admire the clothing of the period.

Yours in respectful rebellion,

Artigas

Hal

Practically Family
Edward said:
Wouldn't it be so much simpler if you just had a school uniform? ...I suspect much of my love of suit / collar / tie nowadays is down to all those years of 'conditioning' in a uniform made up of similar garments. ;)
I would like to think so, but such "conditioning" also works the other way, causing the young person to react strongly against such "uniforms". Continental European schools don't have uniforms, and in my experience men from those countries dress better than do British men. Dislike of the school cap surely played an important role in the abandonment of hats in the UK.

Hah! Kind of a Bizarro World 'Leave it to Beaver' episode. Here's the synopsis of 'Monster Sweatshirt'

Beaver and his friends buy fad "monster" sweatshirts and agree to wear them to school on the same day but Beaver is the only one who manages to sneak out of his house in the gruesome attire and suffers the consequences of violating the school's dress code...and his parents trust.

Nowadays, the monster sweatshirt would be okay and a jacket gets him tossed. I'm not advising you to 'Fight Authority' kid, I'm advising you to 'Fight Idiocy'; in this case, the latter just happens to be in the form of an authoritarian principal who can't seem to make a rational decision because he's only 'following the rules'.

Best of luck,

Jack

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
I did fourteen years of school in uniform and it certainly did me no harm. Actually, I suspect much of my love of suit / collar / tie nowadays is down to all those years of 'conditioning' in a uniform made up of similar garments. ;)
+1

I did twelve years in blazer and tie. As a result I'm very comfortable in tailored clothing.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I don't know what it is about schools anymore. They seem to worry more about funding and discipline and less about education.

My 13 yr old son was suspended for 2 days this week for assaulting one of his teachers. Its not what you think. He handed in his homework and the teacher got a papercut from it. Thats all. Thats it. No more to it. Reported for assault. Teacher wanted Antonn expelled from the school district. This is a kid that is rated in the top .5% of the state for his age group, competed in the national spelling bee, on the math-olympics team for three years now, and is already being courted by the Univ. of Hawaii for their astronomy program. Reported for assault ... for an accidental papercut. The principal gave him 2 days suspension, because she said that any filed report had to result in a punishment ... no matter what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24