Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate the 2000's

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Most school dress codes tend to be fairly broadly worded, but the essential thrust is usually to prohibit attire that "causes a distraction" of one kind or another in the classroom. That gives an awful lot of room for individual interpretation by teachers and administrators -- if a student showed up in spats, a morning coat, striped pants, wing collar, and top hat, one could reasonably conclude that the outfit was distracting, no matter how flawlessly put-together it was, just as much so as any other extreme.

Not to say that the original poster's case was extreme, but to a lot of modern folk, a business suit on a high school student might be little different from full formal morning clothes, and therefore just as distracting.

Personally, though, I'd love to know what the *principal* was wearing.

Sean

Familiar Face
well they just kinda talked AT me about it. i must admet i made a to big of a deal about. i was in the rong in a way. the school dose have a dress code your not allowed to wear jackets inside and they consider a blazer as a jacket.

Artigas

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
I suppose now they could just show up for gym dressed the same way they showed up for class.

Which is really not that much of a problem, because unfortunately, today's gym class largely consists of sitting against the gymnasium wall, or walking around the track. :eusa_doh:

Artigas

Familiar Face
Sean said:
well they just kinda talked AT me about it. i must admet i made a to big of a deal about. i was in the rong in a way. the school dose have a dress code your not allowed to wear jackets inside and they consider a blazer as a jacket.

Hmm. I would think the intent of that rule pointed to things like jean and leather jackets, as opposed to blazers. In such a vague situation, I think your principal could have definitely cut you some slack--either let it go, give a warning, or just ask you take off your blazer, for pete's sake. But no, the paperwork must go on!

Sean

Familiar Face
my school relly sucks. it fool of a lot of rich kids and teachers not that ther is iny thing rong with being rich but being rich and smug about it.

Sean

Familiar Face
and another thing is no one was relly a jerk about it they just ask me not wear it back 2 school theres rely nothing rong with that. i did not post this because i was mad at iny one im just saying how much it suck to live in 2000's

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Sean said:

Owned.

For some reason, I totally picture this guy being politely asked to remove his jacket and hat while indoors; and in response he blows a nice dose of pipe smoke into his teacher's face. 100% vintage juvenile delinquency.

Geesie

Practically Family
Sean said:

That is absurd. I wonder if they would consider a cardigan sweater to be prohibited as well. :rolleyes:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I dunno. After blowing off a little steam, Sean admitted he overreacted a little. Sounds like a good kid to me. Now if we could work on his spelling a little bit.
Sean: I'm sure there are a few folks here at the Lounge who would be glad to help you with your home work! ;)

GBR

One of the Regulars
I certainly agree that they should give up worrying about dress codes and concentrate on teaching the written language.

Sean said:
and another thing is no one was relly a jerk about it they just ask me not wear it back 2 school theres rely nothing rong with that. i did not post this because i was mad at iny one im just saying how much it suck to live in 2000's

Marlin Fan

Familiar Face
Sean said:
ok so get this i went to school today in a suit and i was written up because of it the the princible said i was being way to flashy...... i hate 2000's if iny trys to be there own person people unecspect you

Sounds like your school needs to spell out what good taste. You seem to have it, they don't!!!!

Sean

Familiar Face
thank you man and yah my spellins sux

dhermann1 said:
I dunno. After blowing off a little steam, Sean admitted he overreacted a little. Sounds like a good kid to me. Now if we could work on his spelling a little bit.
Sean: I'm sure there are a few folks here at the Lounge who would be glad to help you with your home work! ;)

DerMann

Practically Family
While not nearly as extreme, I was told to remove my top hat in the main commons of my highschool. My hands were full of books, so I ensured the assistant principal that I would remove it once in class. He thought he was so utterly clever when he retorted,"a gentleman removes his hat indoors." I stared at him, and I'm sure my face was one of disbelief.

I pulled it off my head, walked about 20 feet and then replaced it on my head.

Solidarity!

The only other time I was confronted about my dress at school was when I came dressed in an authentic toga praetexta for a Latin project thingummy. I had to ask the principal to let me use the elevator, and he told me that I ought to change out of it afterwards, but I never did, and had no intention to. Tricky as hell to drive a stick shift with no power steering whilst your left hand is engaged in keeping your toga draping properly.

Artigas

Familiar Face
He thought he was so utterly clever when he retorted,"a gentleman removes his hat indoors." I stared at him, and I'm sure my face was one of disbelief.

Emphasis added.

Are the rules different for top hats? Because I was sure this was the case.

ETA: Apparently, some consider hats acceptable in public indoor areas, i.e. the commons mentioned. On the other hand, my father and my retired military instructors taught me hats off indoors, period (unless one is under arms). Ah, well, to each his own.

You were probably the best-dressed one there, either way. :D

DerMann

Practically Family
I specifically said main commons. Hats are not removed in lobbies or public areas. And I did take it off during class, or whilst eating at lunch.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Artigas said:
Emphasis added.

Are the rules different for top hats? Because I was sure this was the case.

I think it's allowed when your hands are full (of books in Dermann's case). In the Marine Corps, I could get yelled at for taking a step outside before putting my hat on or a step inside before taking it off. Even so, we could wear our hats if we were carrying something heavy and didn't have a free hand with which to take it off.

Edit: Wow, several posts all at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany