Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate the 2000's

Sean

Familiar Face
ok so get this i went to school today in a suit and i was written up because of it the the princible said i was being way to flashy...... i hate 2000's if iny trys to be there own person people unecspect you

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This looks like the kind of thing that gets in the papers. That's disgraceful. If you looked like a pimp, that would be OK, right?
Do you have a picture of how you dressed?
BTW, not to nitpick, but the spelling is PRINCIPAL. The way you remember it is, "The principal is your PAL". Get it? I only mention it because it sure looks like this guy is NOT your pal.
This really riles me. What's really behind this kind of action is that they don't want people thinking they're better than anyone else. Not that that's what you're necessarily thinking, but that's what THEY think you're thinking. Really insidious.

arthur

Suspended
The actually used the word "flashy",wow.I concur your sentiments on our current age.I'm divorced and am often shocked to see the clothes my son was allowed to wear to school with no problem from the admin.Marilyn Manson,Slayer shirts with often violent satanic images.That's OK but a suit,thats an issue?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
more school, less fashion

Sean said:
ok so get this i went to school today in a suit and i was written up because of it the the princible said i was being way to flashy...... i hate 2000's if iny trys to be there own person people unecspect you

Feraud

Bartender
People, in our quest to express our wonderful sense of style, let us do so without disparaging others.
This goes doubly so for particularly offensive language.
Carry on.

Rachael

A-List Customer
David V said:
Too flashy? Was it an electric suit?

you mean like this?

leap.jpg

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
That is outrageous!

I'm not that long out of high school myself, so I remember the kind of (I'll keep it clean here) "stuff" that the kids were allowed to wear and compared to a nice suit I would consider things like "bling-bling", bright white sneakers, clown pants, and six inch platform heels to be far more "flashy".

Now, back when I was in high school I didn't exactly have the means to dress the way I do now, but you can bet if I did I would have worn a suit everyday and if they didn't like it they could get a deck of cards and deal with it.

If I were you I would wear the exact same suit the next time you go to school and if they give you grief again tell them to show you in the dress code where it says NO SUITS.

Jay

Practically Family
Strange. When I wore suits to school, most teachers embraced it, chatted with me about it in the halls, looked the other way to let me wear a hat between classes, and generally thought it was great. My "gang" of fellow suit wearers even made the cover of the school paper. Even fellow students thought it was great.

I say keep it up. Once you get some supporters, they'll get the picture that it's not a flashy issue.

celtic

A-List Customer
a person I know very well works in a local Elementary school.

she wears modern business attire (nothing formal...skirts with blazers or slacks, etc...) and often people she hasn't met mistake her for the school principal...unfortunately this is sometimes in front of the principal who doesn't dress as well.:rolleyes:

she says that a lot of the teachers wear jeans and sweatshirts and often look worse than she does when she attends to her gardening...

UGH.

her stories sometimes make me think that part of the problem of students not giving respect to teachers has to do with teachers not dressing like they deserve respect...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Call the ACLU and make a big news story out of it. "Principal Discourages Individuality" or "School Discourages Freedom of Choice." It's just the type of story they like to run before an election.

Further...the teacher who wrote you up AND the principal are totally beyond their authority and WRONG, WRONG, WRONG and need to be called on it, IMHO. Dress like a gang member -that's fine. Dress like a gentlemen - "Oh, heavens, no! We must put a stop to this sort of thinking!"

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
Further...the teacher who wrote you up AND the principal are totally beyond their authority and WRONG, WRONG, WRONG and need to be called on it, IMHO.

Actually if there is a dress code, and he somehow violated it, they are not beyond their authority at all.

His parents (remember he is a minor) were notified of said dress code, etc.

Before everyone keeps jumping on the bandwagon, we have -one sentence- of information here. Not nearly enough to state 'wrong right or take any side' in this.

Regardless of -how- he violated the code, I would expect a principal to enforce it even if the violation was that of wearing a suit when there is a rule that somehow precludes that.

Fair is fair and rules are rules, matters of taste aside.

We really do not know the entire story here...

Artigas

Familiar Face
Whenever I dressed up for school, I only got compliments from the staff (and most of the students who said anything, too). It had its problems, sure, but they didn't dare go this far. This is ridiculous. It seems your public school (I assume it's a public school) has found and especially foolish way to propogate the business they are all in: killing creativity, individualism, and anything else that would deviate from the steadily lowering mean.

Yes, if it was against the dress code, the principal was doing his job (of course, for a "violation" like this, I would think him to be perfectly within the rights of his professional discretion to look the other way). But I can't imagine any formal dresscode specifically forbidding suits. It would wreak havoc on the theatre and speech departments, for one thing. I just can't even see it coming to mind when creating a list of things to ban. It seems to be a spur-of-the-moment judgement (and yes, you can spell it that way) to me.

But that's just MO.

If you were written up for it then I suppose your parents are going to get in on this in some way. Were you sent home and told to change or just given a referral or some such thing. Does this involve some kind of punishment or is it just a piece of paper?
If my son were to get this kind of reprimand then I would definitely demand to see just cause for such action and a written policy that prevents you from looking dressy ala a coat and tie ban.
Not long ago, students were expected to come dressed to learn. That is why there is such a thing as a gym uniform---to save your good school clothes. I suppose now they could just show up for gym dressed the same way they showed up for class.
Its no wonder I already have a spot reserved for my two sons at the local parochial school. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24