Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I iron mine... do you iron yours?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
So after i do my laundry I pull out the dress shirt and hankerchiefs and cotton trousers and get them set for the flattening.

How about you guys and gals... i see alot of awfully wrinkly shirts in my office.

Now and again I take the shirts to the cleaners.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I hate ironing. I hate it so much that I won't ask my wife to do it - either I do it, or the item goes to the cleaners. I can't ask her to do something that I dislike so much.

All 100% cotton shirts and dry cleaning go to the cleaners. For shirts that are a poly/cotton blend, I'll iron the collar, cuffs and button placket - that's all it takes to make them look crisp. For cotton/poly blend short-sleeve shirts, I often iron the collar, sleeves and button placket.

That's it for me.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Ironing is fine ... but I've never understood the American executive's obsession with having his button-down shirts laundered with HEAVY starch. I mean, it's the least dressy of all business shirts. The oxford cloth button-down was adopted by preppies for its unstudied ease and comfort. What's the point of making it stiff as a board?

Then again, I've known servicemen who have their boxer shorts heavily starched. Go figure ...

Feraud

Bartender
I sure do! Certain poly/cotton blend shirts do not (thankfully!) need to be ironed but the 100% cotton shirts wrinkle like heck.

I believe I have lost the battle against linen clothes. They wrinkle as soon as I take 'em off the ironing board. [huh] lol

Etienne

A-List Customer
I am astounded that any of you men iron at all!! My husband has never ironed a thing in his life--I doubt he even knows where I keep it! But then, I really enjoy ironing! I like the whole process of it (and I love taking care of my better half!) But I applaud you gentlemen! Good for you!

Feraud

Bartender
Etienne said:
I am astounded that any of you men iron at all!! My husband has never ironed a thing in his life--I doubt he even knows where I keep it!
I am macho and can iron a shirt...I can even cook a meal! lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
There was a period where I ironed the then bf's shirts....he had what felt like 300 of them, but was probably more like 30 or so, so it was a never ending cycle of washing and ironing them.

You get into a groove doing them and its not too bad.

Granted, he also got home to a nice dinner most nights as well....and was a total ingrate about it all....:mad:

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Shirts, handkerchiefs and cotton trousers are ironed. Linen looks better rumpled as far as I'm concerned, so I skip the whole ironing process and smooth them by hand while still damp and let them dry on a hanger.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Ironing is so... well... 1940s...

Nordstrom has solved the cotton shirt/ironing problem. A year or so ago they introduced a 100% cotton fabric called "Smart Care" that is amazing. Apparently it's a bioengineered cotton that produces a shirt that has all of the other characteristics of 100% cotton but is completely wrinkle free. Nearly all of their dress shirts these days are made from this fabric and I for one will never go back to any other fabric (except for an occasional custom shirt). I hated ironing and I despise the $1.75 per shirt that my local dry cleaner charges.

shindeco

A-List Customer
I iron. Usually while talking to my parents on the 'phone (headset), while watching a movie, or while listening to an old radio show. It's not a task that requires a lot of brain power so I combine it with something that's enjoyable.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Feraud, you're just one of a kind :)
this is an area that I seriously slack in...I hate ironing myself. A trick I've learned though (this doesn't work with everything) is put whatever needs to be de-wrinkled into the dryer then put in with it a damp washcloth, let the dryer run on high heat for 15 minutes and tada!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I very carefully take Maintcoder's shirt to the laundry where they wash and iron them for a mere .99 each. So completely worth it in my book!

(well, sometimes he takes them himself but it is on my way home)

75% of my clothes are dry clean only :-/

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I send everything out. I used to send my laundry out, but when we bought the condo with the washer and dryer, it was tough to justify it.

Still, I insist upon a nicely pressed shirt, though no starch for me.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
shirts

Ironing - its a chore, lets be honest ! Although there's nothing to beat the feel and look of a freshly laundered and well ironed shirt. On the topic of shirts, does anyone have any experience of the shirts made by Bills Khakis ? They look good on their website but $97.50 ???? Thats the same price as their khaki trousers !!!:eusa_doh:
I can't seem to find a decent example of this style of shirt here in the UK - I bought one of Eastman Leathers 'Rangoon' officer shirts which is OK but is dry clean only. I need shirts I can throw in the wash now and then !!

Colin

Tin Pan Sally

Of our clothing that is machine washable, yes. I take laundry out of the dryer immediately; otherwise wrinkles will be set into the fabric. Then steam iron on a good board with a ham (not the meat). For ruffles, gathers, etc I use a hand held steamer. I highly recommend buying one if you haven't.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My parents raised me to be self-sufficient, except for cooking, which is my lazy area, so for years I've ironed my own shirts. My wife and I used to be organised and get all our ironing done on a particular evening every week, but since our little one has come along, and we're renting while our house two
suburbs away is being renovated . . . well, things seem to have gotten a bit more hectic of late. Now we just iron a shirt here or pair of jeans there whenever we need to wear them.

In less busy times, I quite enjoyed ironing my shirts and getting them the way I liked them to look. All my trousers are wither vintage or tailor-made high-rise 40's style, in gabardine or wool, so they go to the dry cleaners.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I iron when I have to, but I learned a hard lesson the other day: you must remove the shirt before trying to iron it!

In my defense, I was only trying to iron the little strap that keeps a rolled up sleeve in place, because it was bunched up inside the sleeve and driving me nuts. Out of habit I hit the steam burst button and raised a huge blister on my arm from the steam! :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace